Dr. Strange: Rotten Tomato Watch Thread

91! Haha, it's supposed to be going down not up!

Yep it just hit 91% (90.53 to be exact). Let's see if it can stay there. It needs 9 fresh reviews before it gets the next rotten to stay at 91%.

But even if it gets a rotten one soon it won't take too many fresh reviews to get back up to 91%. As long as it doesn't get more than one rotten review in quick succession it has a decent chance to stay at 91% in the long run.

I wish Winter Soldier could've stayed in the 90's.

So close, yet so far away.

I really enjoyed this movie, but 91 on RT? Really?

I thought Dr. Strange was like mid-tier MCU, like Ant-man and Captain America 1 (both movies which I really like).

I really enjoyed this movie, but 91 on RT? Really?

I thought Dr. Strange was like mid-tier MCU, like Ant-man and Captain America 1 (both movies which I really like).

You only need to be mid-tier to get 100% on RT. Getting a high average rating is much more difficult.

I'm surprised too that this many people liked it. Seems like Doctor Strange was that kind of movie that everyone was like "yeah, that was okay. :)"

You only need to be mid-tier to get 100% on RT. Getting a high average rating is much more difficult.

Patently, absurdly false. Getting 100% on RT is a nigh-legendary feat, as you need literally *everyone* to like it. Virtually *no* movie has every critic like it. Movies that don't come even near 100% still have to fight against critics thumbs-downing it for attention, anyway.

The only recent movies that score a 100% are small scale indie films with extremely low exposure, where you only need to get the 30-40 critics who actually saw the movie to like it. . . which is comparatively easy, because no one is going to bother reviewing micro-indie films other than micro-indie buffs. There's not a single 100% movie with even a 100 reviews, let alone the 200+ typical for a major release.

A critical and financial success it's safe to say

Patently, absurdly false. Getting 100% on RT is a nigh-legendary feat, as you need literally *everyone* to like it. Virtually *no* movie has every critic like it. Movies that don't come even near 100% still have to fight against critics thumbs-downing it for attention, anyway.

The only recent movies that score a 100% are small scale indie films with extremely low exposure, where you only need to get the 30-40 critics who actually saw the movie to like it. . . which is comparatively easy, because no one is going to bother reviewing micro-indie films other than micro-indie buffs. There's not a single 100% movie with even a 100 reviews, let alone the 200+ typical for a major release.

Have you heard of the Toy Story trilogy? Almost 100% across 3 films never mind 1. :woot:

And obviously you missed the point. Once you get to that first rung of acceptability you don't need to be any better or aim for the top, you just need as many people as possible to be ok enough with you to give you a non-rotten rating. Also why there are almost no films with an average rating approaching 9 but there are hundreds with RT ratings in the 90s.

Have you heard of the Toy Story trilogy? Almost 100% across 3 films never mind 1. :woot:

And obviously you missed the point. Once you get to that first rung of acceptability you don't need to be any better or aim for the top, you just need as many people as possible to be ok enough with you to give you a non-rotten rating. Also why there are almost no films with an average rating approaching 9 but there are hundreds with RT ratings in the 90s.

I don't think he missed the point.
No one gives a positive review because they are ok enough with a film.

The RT% is more telling of a films quality then its average rating though. There are a lot of films with 90+RT ratings because there are a lot of good films. There aren't a lot of 9 average rated films because the rating system does not allow that and is flawed because of it. 4/5 rating is an 8. To get 9 you'd have to get 4.5/5 from almost all those reviewers and no matter how perfect your film is that's not going to happen.
Because most of the reviews are based on 5 stars and they are not really reflective of a 10 point system. To me there isn't much difference between a 3,5 star than say a 4 but if you translate them to a 10 point system the difference is immediately much bigger than the reviewer intends and vice versa. A critic giving a film a positive review says a lot more than if he gives it a 3 star rating or a 4 because numbers, exact numbers are much more subjective. A 7.5/10 equals 3.75 on a 5 star rating. How many times do you see a film get a 3.75 out of 5 stars ? It's always either 3, 3.5 or 4. Which is why that system is very flawed. I'd rather take the % because it indicates the percentage of reviewers giving a film a positive rating. It's flawed too in the end but much better and telling than the average rating. Imo.

Its freaking amazing that both MCU movies this year reach 90%. 2017 is going to be amazing.

I'm surprised too that this many people liked it. Seems like Doctor Strange was that kind of movie that everyone was like "yeah, that was okay. :)"

Yeah. That's my take. It wasn't rated super high, but it was the kind of movie that people said "Yeah. It's good enough to get a positive review. I don't think most 7.3 rated movies are in the 90% fresh range. The two ratings are very different. One is a binary rating and the other is a sliding scale rating so that's what you get sometimes.

Oh....and you can bet that critic out there sitting on the 26th rotten rating will drop the bomb soon. :woot:

It's up to 91% :wow:

Amazing that it ended up at 90 which is better than a good amount of other MCU. Saw it about 3 times in theaters, one of my favorite Marvel films. Can't wait to see Strange in Ragnarok, hopefully he'll be in an action scene and showcase some new spells or abilities.

I'm kind of baffled it scored so high. I enjoyed Dr. Strange very much, but it's a mid tier MCU film for me. Like Ant-man, Cap 1, Iron man 3, etc.

It has a higher RT score than Winter Soldier for goodness sakes. Though the average rating for Strange is 7.3, which is pretty fair.

It deserved its high Rt rating, best comic book film since Dofp and Civil War in my opinion.

I'm kind of baffled it scored so high. I enjoyed Dr. Strange very much, but it's a mid tier MCU film for me. Like Ant-man, Cap 1, Iron man 3, etc.

It has a higher RT score than Winter Soldier for goodness sakes. Though the average rating for Strange is 7.3, which is pretty fair.
And once again, someone is using the RT score as a sign of quality when it's a percentage of reviews that had a positive reaction to the film, even if many were just barely positive.

The average rating is the one to look at. The RT can give you a very high percentage for a mid-tier film that most reviewers think is slightly above average just by its design.

And once again, someone is using the RT score as a sign of quality when it's a percentage of reviews that had a positive reaction to the film, even if many were just barely positive.

I know exactly how RT works.

Having said that, the RT percentage is a sign of quality. 90% of critics gave it a positive review. That's why I'm baffled, regardless of what the average rating is.

Last edited:
I think it is largely because of the visuals. They are a step above pretty much any other superhero movie (or most blockbusters in general) and critics appreciate that type of craftmanship. It is a kick in the positive direction for those that might otherwise view the film as average.

The story works pretty well,acting is strong,it's fun and well paced and the visuals are fantastic. The climax was great too. It's on par with Iron Man imo and slightly prefer it to First Avenger and Ant-Man.

Last edited:
The average rating is the one to look at. The RT can give you a very high percentage for a mid-tier film that most reviewers think is slightly above average just by its design.

RT averages aren't the best indicators of critics' assessment of a film because the critics themselves don't necessarily give numerical ratings. Many of the numerical scores are decided upon by RT staff members, who read each review and assign scores based on their judgment of the writers' opinions. That makes the average ratings arbitrary at best.

RT averages aren't the best indicators of critics' assessment of a film because the critics themselves don't necessarily give numerical ratings. Many of the numerical scores are decided upon by RT staff members, who read each review and assign scores based on their judgment of the writers' opinions. That makes the average ratings arbitrary at best.

The averages are unconfirmed by the reviewer but I wouldn't say they're arbitrary.

It's not like a rave review will be scored with a horrible rating. There's an attempt to be accurate.

I don't think it's great and neither does the high Rotten Tomatoes score imply that.
It's a good movie, enjoyable and likable.

Eh, not my favorite. The pacing wasn't that great, and pretty surprised to see it still holds such a high RT. I've talked to a lot of people in RL that thought it was boring, and almost a chore for some to finish watching final act. It's not terrible, but one of those examples for me to not to just get with the hype of good reviews/scores. Kinda raises expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"