Guardians of the Galaxy Drax The Man on the Sax: a Thread for the Destroyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been interest in much of his films, but I think Vin Diesel would be badass in this role.

Ever met him? If so suggest him to audition.

Only once I believe, like, before he was flash in spiderman. I was younger, though my grandmother is closer with his aunt, if I can get word out to him somehow, I will

From what Ive read here an in the other GotG threads, it seems that many of you are okay with sacrificing acting range for appearance. Terrible idea. Marvel needs to get the best actors available, and then worry about bulking them up and/or training them.

That said, you cant cast Peter Dinklage to play Drax or John Goodman to be Star-Lord, but any reasonably fit talented actor of a general body type will do the trick.

Acting talent, even for a character that doesn't talk much, is priority number one.

It's not as if we're talking about casting John Cena or Triple H, here. Both the Rock and Vin Diesel have been acting for years, have done well in most of the roles they've had, and have great charisma. Moreover, even if one wants to claim that their acting range is limited, the role of Drax the Destroyer falls well within the boundaries of whatever their range might be. Just watch Pitch Black. Riddick IS Drax. So in that case, yeah, Vin Diesel's acting range is just fine for the role which he'd portray.

Marvel needs to get the right actor for the role. You cast on a character-to-character basis, not on pedigree

Watch Pitch Black and tell me Vin Diesel isn't the right actor for Drax.

I can definitely see Vin in the role. Personally I feel The Rock is the perfect guy for the role, as he brings everything Vin does plus has a ton of range as an actor

Will Drax have a speaking role? If so, The Rock should keep on walking. This ain't the role for him.

Whats the problem, its not like the part needs extensive acting skills, Drax is very cold, and Diesel has the frame to pull him off.

Watch Pitch Black and tell me Vin Diesel isn't the right actor for Drax.

Well there's the problem, it's type casting at it's finest. There are many actors, better actors that can pull off Drax. Everyone jumps on the the Vin casting because he's bald, been in a sci-fi movie and they both carry knives.

Exactly. The last think I want to be thinking when I see Drax on the screen is "hey its the dude that played Riddick!" . No thank you. A Shakespearean actor with a gym membership would be preferable to that.

No ex-wrestlers, no aging action stars, no "obvious" choice based on looks or typecasting.

Its difficult to cast this movie because the best choices are probably actors that Ive never seen or heard of. Other than Star Lord (several good options there), Im really not sure.

If Idris Elba wasnt already playing Heimdahl, that couldve worked. But again, more for his acting skill than his physique/looks. Thats just a bonus. I knew him first from the BBC detective show Luther, for which he was recently nominated for an Emmy Award.

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue with casting Diesel is that he may be too big name ( = expensive ) for the movie.

The point with a relatively big name is just that. They are a big name, and we recognize them from other things. JoeyJo said it best.

When I see drax, I want to see Drax. I don't want to see Vin Diesel playing Drax, I want to see Drax. If a bigger named actor takes the role, it won't be right, because normally you will think of them from other roles.

Same reason why I think Tom Cruise for Stark would not have worked.

But... RDJ was a pretty big name actor as well and a lot of people had the same doubts about him playing Stark because they thought he would just act like his typical off-screen persona.

Which he kind of did. And it worked.

RDJ is the exception that proves the rule. His persona was ideal for that role. He basically was Tony Stark. Plus his career was in the crapper for the better part of a decade, and he had only done smaller films leading up to Iron Man, so it wasnt like he was an established leading man. The Singing Detective and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang were his only leading roles in the 00's. Relatively small movies.

Another big difference is he is a much much better actor than Vin Deisel. They need to cast someone who can basically create Drax as a cinematic character, not typecast it with someone like The Rock or Vin Deisel or other such person. Im confident Marvel has this mindset, so Im not concerned about "stunt" casting. Thank goodness.

Last edited:
The point with a relatively big name is just that. They are a big name, and we recognize them from other things. JoeyJo said it best.

When I see drax, I want to see Drax. I don't want to see Vin Diesel playing Drax, I want to see Drax. If a bigger named actor takes the role, it won't be right, because normally you will think of them from other roles.

Same reason why I think Tom Cruise for Stark would not have worked.
True, no big names. They better not cast Samuel L Jackson or Scarlett Johansson or Anthony Hopkins or Tommy Lee Jones or Natalie Portman or

Oh, wait

This is one movie that will probably need a big name or two in order to sell it to the GA. And Marvel's never been shy about going after premium talent. Just look at Chewy's examples.

Nothing wrong with big names. As long as they're versatile talented actors who arent "action hero" types that have been (fairly or not) totally typecast at this point of their career. Oscar nominated in fact. Vin Deisel and The Rock dont even come close to Tommy Lee Jones or Natalie Portman or Anthony Hopkins.

In other words, aim higher. Dont just settle for some action dude because Drax doesnt talk much or whatever. The best film actors in the world do much of their acting with their eyes and their facial expressions.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with big names. As long as they're versatile talented actors who arent "action hero" types that have been (fairly or not) totally typecast at this point of their career. Oscar nominated in fact. Vin Deisel and The Rock dont even come close to Tommy Lee Jones or Natalie Portman or Anthony Hopkins.

In other words, aim higher. Dont just settle for some action dude because Drax doesnt talk much or whatever. The best film actors in the world do much of their acting with their eyes and their facial expressions.

I think the biggest argument against both of those guys is that they are too big of stars to play 4th fiddle to other characters.

The Rock had no problem playing a large supporting role in Fast Five

Lol those guys arent a list actors. They would jump at the chance to be part of a movie that could potentually be the next avengers.

Im not saying these guys couldnt do a decent job. I just think theyre nowhere near the best or most interesting choice. And i dont think marvel would be interested.

If theyre willing to audition for the role, and they create something intriguing and completely different from what theyve done in the past, then sure.

Lol those guys arent a list actors. They would jump at the chance to be part of a movie that could potentually be the next avengers.

Im not saying these guys couldnt do a decent job. I just think theyre nowhere near the best or most interesting choice. And i dont think marvel would be interested.

If theyre willing to audition for the role, and they create something intriguing and completely different from what theyve done in the past, then sure.

There's no way GoTG is getting anywhere near Avengers money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"