Drax The Man on the Sax: a Thread for the Destroyer

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by KangConquers, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewy REDACTED

In terms of box office, no. But that doesn't really matter to the actors, if it's big enough they'll get paid and gain publicity out of it

2. T"Challa Registered

This is one of my concerns about this project. the budget for this thing is going to be insanely high. Green Lantern cost over 200 mill and the lantern Corps weren't in the movie for very long. this thing is going to be set entirely in space with all sorts of CGI'd creatures. I hope the script is as good as its rumored to be cuz this thing has serious financial bomb potential.

3. Chewy REDACTED

No guts no glory :)

4. JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

It also has financial hit potential as it's presumably the final movie before Avengers 2 and introduces Thanos to the audience.

5. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I'm starting to like Manganiello as Drax. By the time this movie is out, he'll be 37, and by the time they make a sequel, he'd be roughly 40. Cast Moondragon at 20, and we have a believable father/ daughter dynamic.

6. Chewy REDACTED

Eh, he's a green dude. I don't think his age really matters in that regard, who's to say his skin ages at the same rate as a normal human's?

7. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

It would still bother me if they cast Moondragon and Drax relatively the same age...it'd be like "Dude, you came out of his destroyers..."

8. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Hows about Brandon Routh for Drax? The guy is huge and has put on a lot of muscle since his Superman days, seeing people want something leftfield, how about Routh?

9. Chewy REDACTED

I would prefer an actor :oldrazz:

10. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Have you seen Dylan Dog? the man is truly a master of craft.

11. Joeyjojo72 Registered

Is that a joke? Routh isnt a terrible actor, but Dylan Dog was a terrible terrible movie. Im gonna assume you're being ironical.

Anyhoo, I honestly dont know who Id like as Drax. Its wide open imo, and Im okay with a talented actor coming in and creating the character more or less from the ground up.

But casting beefcake is just a non-starter. Unless youre a girl/woman or gay, I dont really get it. Drax doesnt have to be model handsome. He's not Thor.

Now if you are female or gay, then I understand completely why Routh or the werewolf from TB work for you. I kinda have a thing for Rosario Dawson, and thats probably party why she's my pick for Gamora. But she also has a resume that makes her a good choice, and a very distinctive look. Werewolf boy looks like a male model, like the guy on a million romance novel book covers, and hasnt proven much as an actor beyond his obvious comfort zone.

And they will probably have a brief origin for Drax, so the actor has to pull off Art Douglas, saxophonist, as well. Its important that the audience sees his humanity as well, and not some statuesque adonis.

#61 Joeyjojo72, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  12. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

? No one I know is going for Model/ Handsome. I think everyone is going more for built/ ripped/ muscular.

And yes, the Dylan Dog comment was a 100% joke.

13. Joeyjojo72 Registered

cool.

Im not suggesting a short scrawny guy for Drax, but anyone over 5 11 and average build can simply bulk up for the movie. Being "ripped" isnt a requirement as far as I can tell.

The modern Drax isnt Hulk-like. Hes definitely built, but not much beyond the typical comic superhero. Depend on the artist of course, but the movie version doesnt have to be as musclebound as the comic.

14. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

He especially doesn't need to be too sculpted consider he'll be wearing that dumb vest.

15. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Not really the best comparison, though, as even at its own release, it was obvious Green Lantern wasted its budget. I am 100% certain Marvel can get far better bang for its SFX buck.

16. JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

Have you seen Scott Pilgrim? That's a better indicator of what he can do with a competent director.

17. Chewy REDACTED

Stand there?

18. JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

He was the funniest character in the movie

19. Chewy REDACTED

It wasn't a role that required him to emote, or even act, really. Just... stand there

20. JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

#70 JB-the-Hunter, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  21. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

ugh

22. Chewy REDACTED

I'm sure the vest will not be worn the whole film. They need to have the badass tats on display.

23. TikkiEXX Registered

dont care who plays him, just wanna see him go nuts with the knives. lol. but ive been watching a lot of True Blood lately. that Joe guy is pretty damn awesome.

24. Chewy REDACTED

I think he'd be great. He's a huge action star waiting to happen.

25. Rowsdower! Registered

Yeah, Joe can play a total badass and is built like a tank. It's hard to picture him with a bald head, but I think he could be good in this role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.