Drax The Man on the Sax: a Thread for the Destroyer

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by KangConquers, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

were his eyes white in that banner?? I cant remember, and I hope that's a detail that they include

2. TheVileOne Registered

Meh whatever. Bennett's probably not as tall as Batista. But Batista doesn't necessarily bring any drawing power to the role either. His only other big role was a chop-socky genre mash-up martial arts flick that bombed. Bennett at least was the villain in a Peter Jackson movie that made a billion dollars worldwide and has been working a lot more steadily. Spartacus and all.

3. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Yeah, me too.
    It's not going to be a dealbreaker if they don't, but white contact lenses are common enough in movies these days, and it'd just be lazy for Marvel not to shell out pocket change to pay for an authentic comic-book look.

4. ChukNoris Experienced Bra Fitter

[​IMG]
    updated

white eyes may need some work :(

5. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

I mean, I don't want him to have human looking eyes, for me personally, the white eyes are a pretty big deal

hmmm, it works.

6. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

What, so Drax is a silent person who never speaks and when he does it sounds like bad acting?

Drax speaks a lot, despite what people think, read Annihilation the guy is a master tactician who taught Richard Rider to fight. When he says things they are powerful and meaningful. If the one in this movie barely speaks then he aint Drax, simple. I doubt Tony Stark was conceived as a Shakespearan tragic figure either yet they cast a proven and great actor as him.

Drax fans get a wrestler, I'll happily eat my words in 18 months time if Bautista is amazing but I just cant see it. As a Drax fan (he is the character I WAS looking forward to most in this movie by far), this is very dissapointing.

7. BigThor God of Thunder

Well hey, atleast we know now that Drax is gonna be pretty damn strong with someone like Bautista playing him.

8. Rock Sexton Registered

I'm psyched to see him done up in full costume.

9. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Looks good. Gives a good impression of what the end result should look like.

Nobody said Drax doesn't speak a lot. But when he does, he's not spouting poetry and isn't particularly literate. His speech is littered with "ain'ts" and "_____in's" instead of "____ings," and shows the speech patterns of a blue-collar Brooklynite or a redneck from South Alabama. Doesn't mean he's stupid, it just means that Drax isn't supposed to be some literate, well-versed brainiac.

Think: Ben Grimm. Ben Grimm talks a lot. Still: The ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing ain't Shakespeare. :thing: ---(why you, I oughta pound ya for that smart remark)

Yup. I'm looking forward to the fight scenes now. Batista will bring some considerable authenticity to that part of the mano-a-mano.

10. BigThor God of Thunder

Me too, I think he's gonna look just as badass as comic book Drax.

Exactly what I was thinking, fight training is gonna be a breeze for ol' Dave.

11. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

I'm not talking about height or drawing power, I'm talking about your assertion that Bennett would be better for the role than Batista, even though you have no idea how Batista will fare in the role.

There are still roles to be cast in this film and plenty of time to get the drawing power you speak of.

12. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I have read quite a bit of Drax, and I know exactly what he is like, so he should be speaking a lot, my worry is Bautista delivering these lines, he doesnt have much acting experience, and from I have seen he is a poor actor, so i'm not convinced he can pull off the Drax we know and love.

Which then worries me about how they will portray the character in the movie, will they make him someone who barely speaks and is just there for fight scene's? If so it aint Drax to me, and never will be.

Captain America isnt some literate, well-versed brainiac either, yet they got a good actor to play who had proven acting ability, which he proved in both comedic and dramatic roles (he played serious very well in Sunshine for example), yet Drax fans get stuck with a wrestler who has been in a total of about 3 movies? Sorry but it aint good enough.

And again, if he blows the role out of the water and is superb in the movie, I will more than happily eat my words.

13. InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

Comparing Drax to Cap doesn't work. Cap is a stand alone character who had to carry a film on his own. Drax is in a group with a talking raccoon, swashbuckling space pirate and a sword toting hottie. These other characters will have so many more interesting things to talk about than Drax. He would not get many lines regardless of who is playing him. That's not to say what he says won't be important or deep or whatever.

14. BigThor God of Thunder

Clearly, I was just about to say the same thing.

15. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Not that I'm doing a poll or anything but it's always interesting to me to read the comments on here in regards to Drax. I just wonder how much stuff with the character everyone has read and what their general idea of the character is.

16. JP Smelly

Revolting. :csad:

Not your work. It's great. Just everything about him in general. Sorry.

17. Nathan Registered

I only read the 2008 series, and Drax did talk a good amount there. Especially when he went all existential.

18. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I know, the people think he wont or shouldnt get many lines havent read much of the character at all, especially since Annihilation started, the guy talks a lot, and is very knowledgable with a lot of things as well.

Exactly, this version of the character, which they are going with in the movie no less, does talk a lot, is intelligent, knowledgable and a master fighter and tactician, he should be the most important member of the team behind Star Lord.

19. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Looking at some of his stuff, his acting doesn't look that bad. Compare him to a lot of other wrestlers, and he's pretty good. I have faith in Gunn to get a good performance out of him.

20. McSir Registered

He really isn't that bad, especially in comparison to other wrestlers who've tried their hand at acting...looking right at you, Stone Cold Steve Austin...

Honestly, I kind of wish somebody with a "trusted source" would come out with a list of actresses allegedly testing for Gamora so we can move on to *****ing about something else.

21. Raiden Wakanda Forever

I hope by casting a wrestler, they aren't going for a dumb-down version of Drax (like they did with Sabretooth in the first X-Men movie).

22. BigThor God of Thunder

^ One good thing to remember is this film is being done by MARVEL STUDIOS, not Fox, Sony or any other outside studio.

23. TomPiltoff you are all diseased

Love how you're doing your best to make the non-RR members sound somehow weirder or more out there than Cap. Oh that space pirate is swashbuckling? And Gamora totes a sword? Definitely crazier than a vibranium shield.

24. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

What IP was doing was responding to the assertion several posts above that Drax was comparable to Cap in terms of eloquence and dramatic range. That comment was very wide of the mark. As I said before, Drax is more comparable in role, dramatic range and eloquence to Ben Grimm.

Drax doesn't need a lot of lines, despite what some people here seem to be asking for. He's the team brick, and a quiet menace punctuated by sporadic instances of waxing existential for comedic effect will work just fine for Drax, and for Batista.

25. InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

:down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.