Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions - Part 2

It technically did by being more profitable. MoS cost $225 million, which I again stress was $5 million more than The Avengers, which made $1.5 billion whereas MoS made $668 million worldwide.

Thor: TDW cost $170 million, made $204 million domestically & raked in over $400 million overseas. It already outdid MoS by having a significantly smaller budget ($55 million less, to be exact) & doing relatively the same numbers.

I'm still amazed that TDW's budget is only $170 million,to me it looked more expensive than that.

Does anyone know how long after a DVD release they put out the numbers for sales?

I assume TTDW will be #1 at least for the week of release, but does anyone know a good benchmark for success?

People don't analyze dvd sales nearly as much as they analyze box office numbers.

New numbers as of March 2nd..

Domestic: $206,012,423 32.1% + Foreign: $435,295,000 67.9% = Worldwide: $641,307,423

People don't analyze dvd sales nearly as much as they analyze box office numbers.
Which is sad really. More people buy dvd/blurays over going to see a film it seems like

I know at my local Walmart yesterday the shelves were were picked clean of TDW on Bluray...

I still haven't picked up the DVD, I really need to go grab a copy.

I really didn't enjoy this film at all (thought the 1st was so much better) but I am glad it did well so we can continue to see Thor stories. And stories that are hopefully better than this one.

According to deadline.com it looks like TDW will return a profit of around 139.4 million. Not bad for a movie that seems to be the ugly step child of phase 2.
I personally enjoyed it (but I'm a diehard Thor fan).
Here's the link -

http://m.deadline.com/2014/03/froze...niversity-profit-most-profitable-movies-2013/

While there are a few that's very vocal about their dislike I don't think you can really say that TDW is a negative in this franchise. When you look at audience scores around the web it's only The Avengers and Iron Man that has better, and it also sits high when compared against all comic book movies. So apart from critics (mainly American critics from the looks of it) it's been received very well.

Mjölnir;28263689 said:
While there are a few that's very vocal about their dislike I don't think you can really say that TDW is a negative in this franchise. When you look at audience scores around the web it's only The Avengers and Iron Man that has better, and it also sits high when compared against all comic book movies. So apart from critics (mainly American critics from the looks of it) it's been received very well.

Like I said, I enjoyed it (even more than the first one). But judging by these various forums it seems we are in the minority. Of course the WW box office says it was a big hit....but when you travel these various forums TDW is bashed much more than praised. That's fine, everyone has their expectations and tastes when it comes to these movies....but i do have to admit it gets depressing to come to all these different forums to get updates on all the new movies coming (that I'm excited to see) and if posters refer to TDW it is usually in a negative way.
Jeez.....I honestly don't think Marvel stunk the house out....I took it for what it was meant to be a fun movie that you can't try and think too hard about, you just sit back and enjoy the adventure....just my 2cts.

Like I said, I enjoyed it (even more than the first one). But judging by these various forums it seems we are in the minority. Of course the WW box office says it was a big hit....but when you travel these various forums TDW is bashed much more than praised. That's fine, everyone has their expectations and tastes when it comes to these movies....but i do have to admit it gets depressing to come to all these different forums to get updates on all the new movies coming (that I'm excited to see) and if posters refer to TDW it is usually in a negative way.
Jeez.....I honestly don't think Marvel stunk the house out....I took it for what it was meant to be a fun movie that you can't try and think too hard about, you just sit back and enjoy the adventure....just my 2cts.

Yeah it is really depressing. :(

Forums are hard to judge by since there you have to deal with loud minorities, which makes it hard to see where many dislike something and where a few does but go on and on about it. Even people that enjoy a superhero movie can discuss negative details quite a bit since that's the nature of dedicated fans; they go into details and turn every stone.

What I'm talking about are actual scores from the audience. On IMDb, RT, etc. Certainly not a complete image of the entire audience but it's a wider spectrum than a superhero forum and a good sign of that it was successful.

Mjölnir;28265811 said:
Forums are hard to judge by since there you have to deal with loud minorities, which makes it hard to see where many dislike something and where a few does but go on and on about it. Even people that enjoy a superhero movie can discuss negative details quite a bit since that's the nature of dedicated fans; they go into details and turn every stone.

What I'm talking about are actual scores from the audience. On IMDb, RT, etc. Certainly not a complete image of the entire audience but it's a wider spectrum than a superhero forum and a good sign of that it was successful.

Good to know it scored well in those areas, thanks for the info!

I enjoyed this film, but it didn't reach it's potential and the fact that a lot of stuff was left on the editing room floor really pisses me off.

Hemsworth and Hiddleston saved this film from being truly dire. They deserve some better material around them. I hope Thor can really shine in Age of Ultron and they get a director who is really passionate about the character for his next film. They haven't scratched the surface of Thor and his mythos yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"