Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would people feel more at ease if during SDCC we got some footage or some concrete info about this film?

I went to most MCU films because of the trailers. I want to see the superhero fight the bad guy. I still don't know who the freaking bad guy is in Ant-Man!!!

Spielberg, Nolan, Scorsese...those are the big box office draws among directors. There are others like Abrams, Cameron and somewhat to a lesser degree Ron Howard and even Joss Whedon. Wright's one of the directors who's had a cult following.

James Gunn has outright said he won't take the job, saying it'd be like asking out his best friend's ex-girlfriend five minutes after they broke up. And I don't think I'd want him to take the gig - I'd rather see him do another GOTG film if that turns out to be as great as I hope it will.

Edgar Wright seems well liked by many other directors so I could see some directors turning down directing Ant-Man out of respect for Edgar oddly enough.

Edgar is definitely a cult director. We don't know if Edgar's Ant-Man that mainstream audiences might go for?

James Gunn is a cult director but his films are more left field in tone rather that visuals.

Last edited:
Is what it is man. When you have a "hero" in the industry who has a rep for being unconventional and giving a middle finger to the corporation and it looks like they've been slighted, you know how it gets.

Would Marvel hire someone who's directed an episode of Agents of SHIELD this past season to replace Wright?

It seems like much of the discussion and disagreement on this thread over the past couple of days has served to highlight a divide in the fanbase, one that's been apparent to me for some time but has been underlined in this particular case study. There's a rift, and though there may be some overlap here or there, ultimately it seems to boil down to there being two types of fan: fans of creators, and fans of characters.

I'm not going to say that only one side has any validity or that one side is superior, though I know without a doubt which side of the fence I fall on. This is an argument that has also reared its head within the comics medium too. In recent years, at both Marvel and DC, I'd argue that some of the most acclaimed superhero runs, the stories by creators that history will remember among the all-time greats, have been - at the time they've run - mired in controversy and mixed opinions. There are a lot of superhero fans who are fans of character. They view their monthly comics as the reading equivalent of comfort food. All they really want is to have their favourite character in print, largely unchanged and consistent, the status quo maintained, the canon of what came before paid homage to, and nothing retconned. It's the name of the hero on the cover that sells the book, not the name of the creators. The creative team to these people are essentially caretakers whose job it is to preserve the character and make sure no damage is done to them, and as such a creator who "succeeds" is one who does nothing to really draw attention to themselves or make any mark of their own on the character's world. The middle-of-the-road, the competent.

But when a great writer comes onboard a comic title, often he has a bold idea for doing something new, shaking up the status quo and really challenging that hero and his world, casting things in a new light to really get to the core of what makes that character enduring. And there are a lot of fans that don't like this. They don't like shocking new details from a character's past resurfacing, especially if it contradicts the continuity of what came before, or their characters going through major changes that advance them to a different stage of their life. I don't mind it, though, so long as the story is good. More often than not, I won't continue buying a comic just because of the character on the cover... I'm at the stage where I'm more likely to follow creators.

And the same applies for movies. While generally speaking I'm a comic fan and will be more inclined to see a comic book superhero movie than not, it's the actors and especially the directors that can really pique my interest. I've loved Batman for as long as I can remember, but I was skeptical of a new Batman film's chances of exorcising the spirit of Schumacher until they brought the director of Memento onboard. In the case of Iron Man, that was chugging along under my radar until Robert Downey Jr being cast as Tony Stark made me sit up and take notice. But after not being blown away by Iron Man 2, it was Shane Black being attached that got my excitement back up for Iron Man 3. I first got excited for Guardians of the Galaxy as the new James Gunn film, and similarly, Ant-Man was always going to be a guaranteed cinema visit for me as the new Edgar Wright film.

I'm excited by seeing how the vision of a director will merge with the identity of the source material. I love how The Avengers is both a great Marvel film and a great Joss Whedon film. And, in that process of adaptation, I'm willing to accept some deviations from source material, providing that the spirit of the material is preserved. For me, I see there being something of a sliding scale where how good the movie is dictates how many changes to the comics they can get away with. Like, for me, Ang Lee's Hulk wasn't a failure for me because of its deviations from the comics canon. It was a failure for me because it was an underwhelming film. And so, I wasn't worried about some of the changes to Ant-Man for this film, as with Edgar Wright onboard I was confident the film itself would be great. But I'm more a fan of creators than a fan of characters.

DACrowe wrote a very eloquent post in the previous thread where he suggested that Marvel Studios could start moving towards hiring TV directors rather than film directors with their own cult following and established credibility. He argued that TV directors, Marvel Studios might conclude, are more used to just pointing the camera and following instructions rather than muddying the waters with their own creative vision. Middle-of-the-road, competent. And I think that would be very sad indeed, as I've really enjoyed seeing Marvel Studios giving this massive platform to highly-gifted directors who otherwise wouldn't have the box office clout to do a film of this size - Whedon, Wright, Black, Gunn, etc - but I also know that there are many fans who would celebrate this decision, and who see such buzzwords as "innovation" and "bold new take on the character" as annoyances that get in the way of that status-quo-preserving comfort food. There's a school of thought that dictates that these films rise or fall not on the strength of the performances, or the direction, or the plotting, or the cinematography - basically the perimeters with which you'd dictate the success or failure of any film - but rather they rise or fall based on how faithfully they follow the comics, how dutifully they get the overarching Marvel Studios brand from point A to point B in the current "Phase," and how many knowing Easter Eggs from the comics they're able to cram in for the hardcore fans. For these people, character is king, and so long as the film is functional in addressing the wider MCU in these ways, things like who's directing it or the quality of the script are largely immaterial, so of course they are not going to feel any concern over these latest developments. Only if there's some possibility of these director/screenwriter changes resulting in increased comic accuracy does it become a pressing concern.

I fall on the "fan of creators" side, so of course I'm disappointed. I've not been quiet about pointing out that I'm an Edgar Wright fan. But I also love Marvel Studios and am a big supporter of what they've been doing. It's as a fan of both that I'm disappointed by the outcome of Wright leaving Ant-Man.

Last edited:
In this case it didn't seem like so much a matter of Wright shaking up continuity so much as Disney ultimately balking at basing the film around a petty criminal.

Also, in the case of Whedon, Alan Taylor, and the Russos, Marvel actually HAS already turned to TV directors. In the case of Taylor though that didn't really alleviate the whole director conflict thing. It makes sense though. While Taylor primarily comes from TV more often than not when he has worked on series he has set the tone for them, directing pilots and such, Mad Men included.

Last edited:
In this case it didn't seem like so much a matter of Wright shaking up continuity so much as Disney ultimately balking at basing the film around a petty criminal.

I doubt Disney would have a problem with that. They made Aladin, after all.

But when a great writer comes onboard a comic title, often he has a bold idea for doing something new, shaking up the status quo and really challenging that hero and his world, casting things in a new light to really get to the core of what makes that character enduring. And there are a lot of fans that don't like this.

Wait ...... what was the bold idea? There is not a single person on this site who knows what Wright was going to do with this film outside of plot points.

Wait ...... what was the bold idea?

There are a few examples I could name, but one that's particularly relevant given the near-universal acclaim for the recent film based partly on his work... he's regarded as THE Captain America writer now, but Ed Brubaker got a LASHING back when he first brought back Bucky in the "Winter Soldier" storyline, and got pilloried some more by large portions of the fanbase when he first offed Steve Rogers in that "Death of Captain America" storyline.

Grant Morrison's a guy who is equal parts revered and hated. His New X-Men run was the first time someone had attempted to actually progress the X-Men mythos since Claremont, and there was some brilliant stuff in there which many still love, but almost as soon as he was gone Marvel leapt to retcon as much as they could, and many people were overjoyed at this being done. And while I think his run on Batman will go down in history as one of the best ever, I also recognise it was quite widely despised by many comics fans at the time it was running.

It seems like much of the discussion and disagreement on this thread over the past couple of days has served to highlight a divide in the fanbase, one that's been apparent to me for some time but has been underlined in this particular case study. There's a rift, and though there may be some overlap here or there, ultimately it seems to boil down to there being two types of fan: fans of creators, and fans of characters.

I'm not going to say that only one side has any validity or that one side is superior, though I know without a doubt which side of the fence I fall on. This is an argument that has also reared its head within the comics medium too. In recent years, at both Marvel and DC, I'd argue that some of the most acclaimed superhero runs, the stories by creators that history will remember among the all-time greats, have been - at the time they've run - mired in controversy and mixed opinions. There are a lot of superhero fans who are fans of character. They view their monthly comics as the reading equivalent of comfort food. All they really want is to have their favourite character in print, largely unchanged and consistent, the status quo maintained, the canon of what came before paid homage to, and nothing retconned. It's the name of the hero on the cover that sells the book, not the name of the creators. The creative team to these people are essentially caretakers whose job it is to preserve the character and make sure no damage is done to them, and as such a creator who "succeeds" is one who does nothing to really draw attention to themselves or make any mark of their own on the character's world. The middle-of-the-road, the competent.

But when a great writer comes onboard a comic title, often he has a bold idea for doing something new, shaking up the status quo and really challenging that hero and his world, casting things in a new light to really get to the core of what makes that character enduring. And there are a lot of fans that don't like this. They don't like shocking new details from a character's past resurfacing, especially if it contradicts the continuity of what came before, or their characters going through major changes that advance them to a different stage of their life. I don't mind it, though, so long as the story is good. More often than not, I won't continue buying a comic just because of the character on the cover... I'm at the stage where I'm more likely to follow creators.

And the same applies for movies. While generally speaking I'm a comic fan and will be more inclined to see a comic book superhero movie than not, it's the actors and especially the directors that can really pique my interest. I've loved Batman for as long as I can remember, but I was skeptical of a new Batman film's chances of exorcising the spirit of Schumacher until they brought the director of Memento onboard. In the case of Iron Man, that was chugging along under my radar until Robert Downey Jr being cast as Tony Stark made me sit up and take notice. But after not being blown away by Iron Man 2, it was Shane Black being attached that got my excitement back up for Iron Man 3. I first got excited for Guardians of the Galaxy as the new James Gunn film, and similarly, Ant-Man was always going to be a guaranteed cinema visit for me as the new Edgar Wright film.

I'm excited by seeing how the vision of a director will merge with the identity of the source material. I love how The Avengers is both a great Marvel film and a great Joss Whedon film. And, in that process of adaptation, I'm willing to accept some deviations from source material, providing that the spirit of the material is preserved. For me, I see there being something of a sliding scale where how good the movie is dictates how many changes to the comics they can get away with. Like, for me, Ang Lee's Hulk wasn't a failure for me because of its deviations from the comics canon. It was a failure for me because it was an underwhelming film. And so, I wasn't worried about some of the changes to Ant-Man for this film, as with Edgar Wright onboard I was confident the film itself would be great. But I'm more a fan of creators than a fan of characters.

DACrowe wrote a very eloquent post in the previous thread where he suggested that Marvel Studios could start moving towards hiring TV directors rather than film directors with their own cult following and established credibility. He argued that TV directors, Marvel Studios might conclude, are more used to just pointing the camera and following instructions rather than muddying the waters with their own creative vision. Middle-of-the-road, competent. And I think that would be very sad indeed, as I've really enjoyed seeing Marvel Studios giving this massive platform to highly-gifted directors who otherwise wouldn't have the box office clout to do a film of this size - Whedon, Wright, Black, Gunn, etc - but I also know that there are many fans who would celebrate this decision, and who see such buzzwords as "innovation" and "bold new take on the character" as annoyances that get in the way of that status-quo-preserving comfort food. There's a school of thought that dictates that these films rise or fall not on the strength of the performances, or the direction, or the plotting, or the cinematography - basically the perimeters with which you'd dictate the success or failure of any film - but rather they rise or fall based on how faithfully they follow the comics, how dutifully they get the overarching Marvel Studios brand from point A to point B in the current "Phase," and how many knowing Easter Eggs from the comics they're able to cram in for the hardcore fans. For these people, character is king, and so long as the film is functional in addressing the wider MCU in these ways, things like who's directing it or the quality of the script are largely immaterial, so of course they are not going to feel any concern over these latest developments. Only if there's some possibility of these director/screenwriter changes resulting in increased comic accuracy does it become a pressing concern.

I fall on the "fan of creators" side, so of course I'm disappointed. I've not been quiet about pointing out that I'm an Edgar Wright fan. But I also love Marvel Studios and am a big supporter of what they've been doing. It's as a fan of both that I'm disappointed by the outcome of Wright leaving Ant-Man.

Wonderful post.

Although, I don't think the dichotomy you describe is 100%. I mean, for me, I am absolutely a fan of the characters. I love Spider-Man and Captain America and Batman and Superman and even Hank Pym. I love their stories, I love their themes, I love who they are and what their actions and their perceptions say about the world. And I love their stories, because their stories are fun. But I'm also completely comfortable with making changes. To me, what I love about these characters is the spirit of them, what they stand for and what they're used to say. Any details I feel are vital for these characters are important to me entirely because they embody that spirit, not simply because they've always been there. As long as the spirit stays intact, I'm okay with changes. They excite me, I love seeing new perspectives on these characters that I love, especially if they're coming from writers and directors and actors that I love.

There are a few examples I could name, but one that's particularly relevant given the near-universal acclaim for the recent film based partly on his work... he's regarded as THE Captain America writer now, but Ed Brubaker got a LASHING back when he first brought back Bucky in the "Winter Soldier" storyline, and got pilloried some more by large portions of the fanbase when he first offed Steve Rogers in that "Death of Captain America" storyline.

Grant Morrison's a guy who is equal parts revered and hated. His New X-Men run was the first time someone had attempted to actually progress the X-Men mythos since Claremont, and there was some brilliant stuff in there which many still love, but almost as soon as he was gone Marvel leapt to retcon as much as they could, and many people were overjoyed at this being done. And while I think his run on Batman will go down in history as one of the best ever, I also recognise it was quite widely despised by many comics fans at the time it was running.

What does Wright and his movie have to do with an attempted bold shake up though?

What does Wright and his movie have to do with an attempted bold shake up though?

That particular sentence was me talking about how there has also historically been a divide between fans of characters and fans of creators in comics as well, and explaining some of the causes for that rift to flare up in those circles. I wasn't specifically referring to a bold innovation in the Ant-Man film.

Wonderful post.

Although, I don't think the dichotomy you describe is 100%. I mean, for me, I am absolutely a fan of the characters. I love Spider-Man and Captain America and Batman and Superman and even Hank Pym. I love their stories, I love their themes, I love who they are and what their actions and their perceptions say about the world. And I love their stories, because their stories are fun. But I'm also completely comfortable with making changes. To me, what I love about these characters is the spirit of them, what they stand for and what they're used to say. Any details I feel are vital for these characters are important to me entirely because they embody that spirit, not simply because they've always been there. As long as the spirit stays intact, I'm okay with changes. They excite me, I love seeing new perspectives on these characters that I love, especially if they're coming from writers and directors and actors that I love.

Oh yeah, it's certainly not completely black-and-white. I'm a fan of the characters as well. So I can be lukewarm on Zack Snyder, for example, and skeptical about some of the creative decisions of the new movie, but I can still see that picture of Ben Affleck as Batman and be overjoyed and filled with excitement.

Oh yeah, it's certainly not completely black-and-white. I'm a fan of the characters as well. So I can be lukewarm on Zack Snyder, for example, and skeptical about some of the creative decisions of the new movie, but I can still see that picture of Ben Affleck as Batman and be overjoyed and filled with excitement.

I don't get that vibe in that particular insurance, but that's mostly because I was so satisfied with Nolan's first two films (and even individual elements of the third one) that I really don't see what the big deal is with the picture of Affleck in the costume. I mean, yeah, it looks nice, but live action Batman isn't a novelty for me anymore.

But that's getting kind of pedantic, I'm totally with you in general. I was expecting Amazing Spider-Man 2 to be garbage (which I hear it was), but I thought the redesign on the costume with the big white lenses on the mask looked amazing.

Superb post. And I appreciate the shout out.

I do not think it is set in stone, but it does seem this is the direction Marvel is headed in. Most fans seem enthused, but I too am on the side of accepting, but slightly disappointed. While it is nice to know the characters will always be respected, it is a shame that the odds of getting a truly memorable film about them might diminish as time goes on.

Has anyone posted this?

Whedon tweeted this out.

BoZHChVIgAEYQUp.jpg
What's he holding anyway?

A Cornetto. Edgar Wright's films with Pegg and Wright - Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End - are often referred to as The Cornetto Trilogy.

It's a Cornetto. It's a brand of ice cream. Edgar Wright's films Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End are referred to as "The Cornetto Trilogy" because each one is a parody/send up to a schlocky movie genre that Wright is a fan of and each one features a scene where a character buys or eats a Cornetto ice cream, a different flavor being featured in each film.

Do they even sell those in the United States?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"