Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if you work with Marvel, you should also expect a film connected to the rest of the MCU.
There was no MCU when Wright was hired .
At what point is he supposed to make the transition ?
After IM1? TIH?
I am sure that he tried to make it work,
but, he had a story that he wanted to tell in a particular way .
When he realized that he was not going to be able to tell the story his way, he left.
I am saddened that we will not see his vision played out onscreen .
But,I am glad that he did not compromise his story.
I am also happy to see the project move forward .

But if you work with Marvel, you should also expect a film connected to the rest of the MCU.

Yup.

Edgar was too auteur to make it work. Marvel took a chance hoping it would find a balance and that's just not the case. Simon makes it pretty clear though that Edgar's vision was not in-line with the MCU and Marvel is telling a much larger story than just his. I think all the guesswork about what happened can stop now.

Last edited:
Things dont always go right in the movie biz. Its just reality. Hopefully Marvel wont have anymore big to dos like this one again.

Things dont always go right in the movie biz. Its just reality. Hopefully Marvel wont have anymore big to dos like this one again.

My guess is that if it were any other director they would've made he switch a long time ago. In this situation, they've known and been working with Edgar since the dawn of the MCU. I'm sure it went this far out of respect, but ironically that also made the break more uncomfortable.

Yup.

Edgar was too auteur to make it work. Marvel took a chance hoping it would find a balance and that's just not the case. Simon makes it pretty clear though that Edgar's vision was not in-line with the MCU and Marvel is telling a much larger story than just his. I think all the guesswork about what happened can stop now.

I don't think any MCU movie/show can be disconnected now. That's their schtick and the thing that set them apart from other studios. It would be like going to Merchant Ivory and wanting to make a superhero movie. The MCU could easily stand for the Marvel Connected Universe.

They probably wanted to go with Edgars plans but after time went by, they realized it just wouldnt work in the current MCU. He didnt or wouldnt change his script enough and they had to do it and that was it for him.

They should disconnect some characters so they can go into more adult themes. Maybe not with movies but a Punisher tv show should be brutal, full of cursing , and display some nudity.

They should disconnect some characters so they can go into more adult themes. Maybe not with movies but a Punisher tv show should be brutal, full of cursing , and display some nudity.

Or how about we not aim for the juvenile audience, and stick to making movies and shows that are good?

I don't see that happening until they get done with The Avengers trilogy. Plus with Disney and everything, that's not really their brand theme.

I don't see that happening until they get done with The Avengers trilogy. Plus with Disney and everything, that's not really their brand theme.

Disney does do adult themes just not under the Disney name. Touchstone miramax, and Hollywood studios are all Disney owned studios. All of which who have made R-rated or Nc-17

Disney does do adult themes just not under the Disney name. Touchstone miramax, and Hollywood studios are all Disney owned studios. All of which who have made R-rated or Nc-17

Touchstone is the only one they own now and that's under a co-distribution deal with DreamWorks. Miramax was sold off and Hollywood Studios folded.

My guess is that if it were any other director they would've made he switch a long time ago. In this situation, they've known and been working with Edgar since the dawn of the MCU. I'm sure it went this far out of respect, but ironically that also made the break more uncomfortable.
I think they liked a lot of his script,, too .
They appear to be keeping the basic framework of it .

Touchstone is the only one they own now and that's under a co-distribution deal with DreamWorks. Miramax was sold off and Hollywood Studios folded.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't see Disney's name all over those Touchstone films like you would with the Marvel franchise.

If they're going to do that, then we should have Spider-Woman instead of Punisher. She was always finding herself naked in her own comic book, and even since then.

Does Spider Woman have a connection with any of the characters getting their own series on Netflix?
You never know , they could introduce her that way .

Yup.

[YT]tKzun0CSG8s[/YT]

There was no MCU when Wright was hired .
At what point is he supposed to make the transition ?
After IM1? TIH?

The simple answer would be "after Marvel told him to."

I am sure that he tried to make it work,
but, he had a story that he wanted to tell in a particular way .
When he realized that he was not going to be able to tell the story his way, he left.

Yep, that's about right. I don't think anyone is angrily blaming Wright (even though his leaving put the film's future in jeopardy). We all recognized that he had a vision and it was fair that he didn't have to keep working for someone else's vision.

I am truly gutted Wright left this, its always going to be a what if? situation with me and whatever Ant-Man movie we get now.

It just seems strange it took them 8 years to realise Wright's vision wasnt in line with theirs, especially after going into actual production.

I am truly gutted Wright left this, its always going to be a what if? situation with me and whatever Ant-Man movie we get now.

It just seems strange it took them 8 years to realise Wright's vision wasnt in line with theirs, especially after going into actual production.
That is what bothers me too.
They had 8 years to work this out .
I think that there is more to what happened than Wright not complying with the vision of the MCU but we will never know unless, somebody goes on the record about this .

That is what bothers me too
I think that there is more to what happened than Wright not complying with the vision of the MCU but we will never know unless, somebody goes on the record about this .

Agreed, he isnt the 1st director Marvel has had trouble with either, far from it. Wright stayed pretty faithful to Scott Pilgrim in that movie, I cant see him wanting to go over the top with changes to Ant-Man.

I think Marvel have wielded their iron foot here.

That is what bothers me too.

Baseless conjecture from someone who knows absolutely nothing about what happened behind closed doors. Wright's own close friend Simon Pegg spelled it out for you .... as did James Gunn prior to this.

^You know nothing either though Rock, he could be right on point. And did you not think Pegg was simply being diplomatic? He said its Marvel's loss after all.

And Gunn is going to say anything bad when he has a movie coming out in a couple of months from the same studio.

Agreed, he isnt the 1st director Marvel has had trouble with either, far from it. Wright stayed pretty faithful to Scott Pilgrim in that movie, I cant see him wanting to go over the top with changes to Ant-Man.

I think Marvel have wielded their iron foot here.

See that's where your whole argument falls apart. It doesn't matter how much Edgar wanted to or did not want to go over the top with the character. All that mattered is if it was in-line with what Marvel wanted for their universe.

That's it. End of story. It's their business and the standalone films are not greater than the sum of the story of they're telling. That runs the same for any other director they bring aboard. If they cannot adhere to that policy they can see the door, whether it be Patty Jenkins (who was a director for T:TDW for what seemed like 24 hours) or Edgar Wright. Marvel has shown that OVERALL they know what they're doing and have done an absolutely amazing job building the brand of their movie studio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"