Endgame Endgame User Review Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Great! I came here to read opinions, specifically because the thread says TAG SPOILERS.

I just love how people can't read :)

Just report the post if it's yet to be removed. A mod will take care of it.

As if you didn't see a page full of spoiler tags before making that post? :meanie:

Very Sorry. I mistake the thread (and the forum Indeed...) I edit the post.

My review 4/5 or 8/10 depending on which scale you prefer.

To get the negative stuff out of the way I feel it was a bit long and jammed a bit too much in there. They probably could have simplified the main plot a bit and cut about 20 minutes off the run time.
The pacing was quite different than a standard cbm- and the action sequences seemed very far apart.

Okay, the good stuff. Very strong opening with the aftermath of the snap.
This film is about Tony, Cap and Thor - in that order, and they all have plenty of strong character moments and satisfying arcs.

Paul Rudd and Jeremy Renner were particularly strong and I liked where they went with the Hulk - it was different to his previous appearances and IMO it really worked.

Some fun cameos by past characters will make fans smile.

The final big battle is pretty satisfying and I didn't think much of Brie Larson in Captain Marvel but in Endgame she has a lot more presence.

At the end of the film the audience clapped. Personally, I think it was good - the storytelling wasn't as tight as Infinity War but it's a pretty satisfying conclusion.

For comparison's sake IMO Return of the King is the greatest final chapter to a film series ever ( and 11 Oscars back me up on that). Return of the Jedi is a fun, satisfying movie but not on a par with its previous chapters. I would say Endgame is more Return of the Jedi than Return of the King. It misses out on true greatness, but does the trick.

Very Sorry. I mistake the thread (and the forum Indeed...) I edit the post.

Thank you, honest mistake. There is a spoiler thread if you wish to converse there. :)

My review 4/5 or 8/10 depending on which scale you prefer.

To get the negative stuff out of the way I feel it was a bit long and jammed a bit too much in there. They probably could have simplified the main plot a bit and cut about 20 minutes off the run time.
The pacing was quite different than a standard cbm- and the action sequences seemed very far apart.

Okay, the good stuff. Very strong opening with the aftermath of the snap.
This film is about Tony, Cap and Thor - in that order, and they all have plenty of strong character moments and satisfying arcs.

Some fun cameos by past characters will make fans smile.

The final big battle is pretty satisfying and I didn't think much of Brie Larson in Captain Marvel but in Endgame she has a lot more presence.

For comparison's sake IMO Return of the King is the greatest final chapter to a film series ever ( and 11 Oscars back me up on that). Return of the Jedi is a fun, satisfying movie but not on a par with its previous chapters. I would say Endgame is more Return of the Jedi than Return of the King. It misses out on true greatness, but does the trick.

Agree on Cap and Tony, but Thor got a poor showing, IMO.

Your Jedi comparison is spot on.

See also... The Dark Knight Rises.

People just have problems sticking the landing completely. Even the best.

Last edited:
Pwfooow... So much emotion, so many iconic moments. Perfect way to end this era, it's the Return of the King of the MCU.

This (A:EG) is a much more satisfying end then TDKR. That movie on rewatch is just very bloated and the end is way too Nolan (if that makes sense).

This (A:EG) is a much more satisfying end then TDKR. That movie on rewatch is just very bloated and the end is way too Nolan (if that makes sense).

Eh. I think when all’s said and done, they’ll probably get compared to one another a lot in terms of quality. Both hit some great heights, and have some real quality about them...but both suffer with some fairly fundamental story issues, which generally get critiqued more dispassionately and accurately as time goes by.

Yeah, it's tough to finish off a trilogy/film series on a perfect note. Disagree with you on Thor, I think if you liked him in Ragnarok, then his arc in this film makes sense within the character and is also good fun. I really liked it and it set up another Thor adventure nicely.

Honestly, IMO Endgame was much better than TDKR.

Pwfooow... So much emotion, so many iconic moments. Perfect way to end this era, it's the Return of the King of the MCU.

Yeah, some good character moments but I disagree with you that any were "iconic" which IMO is a very overused word. To be iconic something has to cement itself in the cultural consciousness - like that first rotating camera shot of the Avengers in New York. Endgame didn't quite get there IMO.

Glad you enjoyed it but I disagree with you that it's Return of the King, as I said above, more Return of the Jedi - a good finale that wraps things up but not great. Anyway, we'll see as the reviews come in whether I'm in the minority on that one. Cheers.

My review:
It‘s the almost perfect ending to a saga that wasn‘t really meant to continue after phase 3, and you get a lot of closure, although there are still some projects coming (films like Far From Home, series on Disney+, etc.). I think this movie marks the end of an era in the MCU, and it‘s a very good one! Unlike the other MCU films, it doesn‘t have a lot of bombast action scenes, although the last hour shows again the epicness we know from Marvel, but especially the first two hours of character focused moments are really something else, something refreshingly different and still great! The subtle allusions to praise a modern society (fatherhood being equal to motherhood; feminism) are a huge deal here, and I can‘t thank the Russos enough for the way they tried to please everyone! Although some characters might feel unfulfilled for some of their fans. 9/10 from me.

Without going into spoilers, will Hulk fans be more satisfied with his role here than his extremely poor one in IW?
Well, it depends what you expect from Hulk, depending on what you think about his development in the comics. I think especially his arc is hugely interesting and highly compelling! I wasn‘t disappointed at all! Then again I know how he develops in the comics, so I wasn‘t totally surprised, yet still amazed that the Russos went into that direction...

Yeah, some good character moments but I disagree with you that any were "iconic" which IMO is a very overused word. To be iconic something has to cement itself in the cultural consciousness - like that first rotating camera shot of the Avengers in New York. Endgame didn't quite get there IMO..

I imagine he was referring to the film's more esoteric moments.

This one, for example...

main-qimg-2cc6d9d6b41b8da8a67f9b45bcc3c4bf.webp

I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

Damn :csad:

Well, it depends what you expect from Hulk, depending on what you think about his development in the comics. I think especially his arc is hugely interesting and highly compelling! I wasn‘t disappointed at all! Then again I know how he develops in the comics, so I wasn‘t totally surprised, yet still amazed that the Russos went into that direction...

I do know the arc from the comics, but the other responses are making me worried and, please don't take offence, but your response is not alleviating that worry. I loved IW but hated what they did with Hulk, so I was expecting a grand payoff here which it seems us Hulk fans don't get.

The thrill was there but ultimately I'm underwhelmed. Disappointed with the main plot line. Sad to say I'm giving a 6.5 but very proud of Marvel for consistently putting out quality content

I didn't even realize some people disliked his story in IW
I liked it, even if we only got 30 seconds of real Hulk

See I would include Return of the King in the same category as Return of the Jedi and the Dark Knight Rises. After two amazing, faithful adaptions, Return of the King is where Jackson's flaws as a filmmaker started to become apparent. There are some laughably bad CGI moments (Legolas going all Fred Flintstone on the oliphant), the CGI ghost army flooding in dues ex machina style, generally more bloat and excess than the other entries, and weird out of characters moments that are the inventions of the screenwriters. It's still a great film, but it's easily the weakest of the trilogy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"