Supergirl Episode 3.02 "Triggers" (SPOILERS)

Apparently some here have never lost someone they loved....geez.

When you do lose someone you love, I hope someone doesn't call it a pity party for you. :(

I enjoyed the episode, not quite as much as last week, but it was a solid 8 for sure....for me.

My general complaint about Supergirl: the tone is a tad too lightweight - bordering on campy - for my tastes. No biggie. If the majority of fans support this sort of approach, then I’m happy that they‘re happy.

Now in prior seasons, there’d be the occasional outlier episode that was more serious, more dramatic (relatively speaking) and, therefore, more interesting (at least to me :cwink:). And I’d wonder if, perhaps, the show had finally got its bearings. But then the next episode would be back to goofy. :shrug:

This season: two good episodes in a row. What’s going on? :thf:

Who knew that Mon-El's disappearance would get us such easy, albeit somewhat well-acted, drama.

This was a really good episode, I thought Psi was a villain of the week deal but her powers were really well realized and served as a great way for Kara to work through her troubles some more.

I loved J'onn's explanation in deciding between band and DJ. :D

What they are doing with Reign is really interesting, we are going to get to like her as Sam before all hell breaks loose, she is basically on a heroes journey path right now that is going to have an unusual twist.

The scenes with Alex and Kara were great in this ep, especially the one in the apartment, it felt like a little breakthrough for Kara, and shuffle cuddle for the win! :hrt: :D

Lena's new role at CatCo has started well, I think we know where the friction with her and James is going but hopefully not at the expense of Lena's focus on running the company, I want to see her and Kara involved in some stories with Kara's role as a journalist.

I liked the little scene with Alex and Ruby, you could see Chyler's Mom side come out which was new for Alex, and of course is the beginning of the end for her and Maggie.

The ep was light on action but I did love the shot of Supergirl catching the wrecking ball, that was like an oldschool comic panel. :SG:

Last edited:
Apparently some here have never lost someone they loved....geez.

When you do lose someone you love, I hope someone doesn't call it a pity party for you. :(

I enjoyed the episode, not quite as much as last week, but it was a solid 8 for sure....for me.

I lost two family members over the summer and had to attend two funerals, two weekend's in a row. For me, the pain is still fresh.

That said , I'm glad that this week they at least made it clear that she basically thought Mon El was dead as opposed her just being upset that she had to send him away.

Still, I prefer the more upbeat tone of the series than the darker tone they seem to be going for.

I lost two family members over the summer and had to attend two funerals, two weekend's in a row. For me, the pain is still fresh.

That said , I'm glad that this week they at least made it clear that she basically thought Mon El was dead as opposed her just being upset that she had to send him away.

Still, I prefer the more upbeat tone of the series than the darker tone they seem to be going for.

Oh definitely, but I would have thought it extremely strange if she was just good ol' Kara happy go lucky, after that happened last season.

We are slowly seeing glimpses of that Kara as we go, and I think that is how it should be.

Lena working at CatCo is dumb and contrived. i can buy her buying the company but working there everyday while handing off LexCorp to someone else? Yeah, dumb. I do have to say I like this Jimmy angle they teased as it gives him new purpose

Who is this new character that the show is focusing so much on? without knowing anything about her, I have a feeling she will end up being the big bad.

Lena working at CatCo is dumb and contrived. i can buy her buying the company but working there everyday while handing off LexCorp to someone else? Yeah, dumb. I do have to say I like this Jimmy angle they teased as it gives him new purpose

Who is this new character that the show is focusing so much on? without knowing anything about her, I have a feeling she will end up being the big bad.

You're kidding right? Sarcasm? :huh::huh::huh::huh:

You're kidding right? Sarcasm? :huh::huh::huh::huh:

so do you have the answer to my question? Sorry that Im not deep on DC lore, especially Supergirl's that doesnt directly pertain to common Superman knowledge

so do you have the answer to my question? Sorry that Im not deep on DC lore, especially Supergirl's that doesnt directly pertain to common Superman knowledge

Nooo....it's just that we have a thread on her, and she was in every SDCC cast interiview, etc....there has just been so much written about "Reign".

So, in answer to your question that is "Reign" the big villain of this season. We are just getting a great back story of her. This is not her origin story in the comics...

Nooo....it's just that we have a thread on her, and she was in every SDCC cast interiview, etc....there has just been so much written about "Reign".

So, in answer to your question that is "Reign" the big villain of this season. We are just getting a great back story of her. This is not her origin story in the comics...

I dont follow CC, nor have I watched any interviews, spoilers or synopsis about the show prior to the premiere. I went into this episode blind like Id imagine most viewers have

Review #2….

Opening Scene: The words Kara read in the book that Mon-el had underlined, IMO showed he was well on his journey to becoming a better man, and a man that had begun to see Women as not a conquest but something to be cherished and respected. Far from his life on Daxam…so it made that scene very bitter sweet. Ice Cream for breakfast….not a good sign….LOL Loving the Mother/Daughter vibe between Samantha and Ruby, but there is a part of me that doesn’t want to because I know they are about to tear that sucker to shreds. Maggie and Alex are, for me, dragging quite a bit. 9

Kara vs. Psi #1: Psi is just creepy and I love it…….THAT LAUGH!!!!!! And Melissa as always brings the A+ acting game to the scene. 10

SIDE NOTE: I’m not sure if anyone noticed it, but if you get a chance check out the scene when they are back at the DEO and Kara is getting the once over….and then a mind scan from Jonn watch Kara’s face when he begins. It is so funny, and it is those small little details that make Melissa so damn good at what she does. +1

James and Lena: I think this is going to be a very interesting face off between these two. Good to see James having something to do, and Lena having something to do other than being Kara’s BFF. 8

Kara and Lena: This boss/employee scenario is going to be interesting, awkward, and possibly funny at different times. Will be interesting to watch that unfold. 9

Kara vs. Psi #2: WOW, the 1st person ride in the pod was intense. Melissa’s face at the very end of this scene (parking garage) was really good. 9

Kara in the elevator: This was such a great scene acting wise from Melissa, but they totally screwed up in the writing/direction etc…IMHO. Why in the world would she begin opening her shirt as the doors were still closing. STUPID. The anxiety attack however, coming from someone who has had anxiety attacks was SPOT ON, Bravo Melissa. AND THEN…..let’s crash through the ceiling leaving everything behind. I can, believe that she was able to get back down immediately to retrieve her belongings….but seriously, we hear nothing more about the hole? Really? So….a big fat 5 for that scene. That 5 totally belongs to Melissas acting, just not enough to save the stupidity of that scene.

Kara and Winn: Good to see Winn back as the long lost BFF, oh wait….noooooo he’s the go to guy for the gadgets now. OK, I’M GOOD WITH THAT….. ? The hurt in Kara’s voice put a BIG LUMP in my throat. Great work…. 9

Kara and Alex in the loft: *sighs* Big Smile! “Of course I know that silly….” Wonderfully written, wonderfully acted, perfect. 10

Samantha and Ruby: *sighs* teenagers….. and I’m really liking these 2. Here it comes…………………

Kara vs. Psi #3: Well, Winn’s device worked well…….NOT.

Kara and Alex: Thank Rau that Alex found Kara. OMG, what a heart crushing scene. That part where Kara is just shaking before Alex speaks was just gut wrenching. Again good grief A+ acting. 10 + 1

Kara vs. Psi #4: Hahahahahaha…….. “Mind Over Matter” BAM!!!!!!!!!!!

Samantha/Reign: I’m thinking there is going to be some kind of MAJOR TRIGGER that sends her into Reign….not sure what it will be.

Kara and Alex: Again, *Big Smile* “Wizard Of Oz”, and Alex questioning her desire to marry Maggie. Kara sees it……

This one got a 7.7 out of 10, so an 8 out of 10 from me.

Okay, finally caught it. Very good. Amazing performance out of Melissa. Much better than the premiere. Kind of surprised that they didn't use the flashbacks to the pod as a way of showing Reign's pod. Just as well, I guess. And I am liking Sam so far, it will be interesting to see how she develops into Reign.

As for the relationship issue with Alex and Maggie, I am kind of relieved that it is something very realistic, and not overly CW dramatic. That is a very important conversation to have before getting married, and one that has ended many marriages when it wasn't had. And if it goes the way the rumors are talking, then I will be fine with it.

I think this was one of the best episodes of the series. I am glad they have an actor (well, actors if you include Chyler and David) who can pull this off.

I feel that there is a lot of her trauma after leaving Krypton that Kara suppressed or never talked in detail to Alex or Eliza about. After all, we still keep getting scenes where Alex says she has never heard Kara talk about that before.

May be because she was in a strange new planet and she didn't want to trouble the nice people who took her in; may be because the newness of the planet and relationships (hey! I have a whole new sis now) enabled her to not think of her losses. May be because kids are good at burying trauma until it comes back when something triggers it.

Anyways, I have always wanted Kara to actually deal with a lot of her losses. So, I don't mind at all that she is dealing with her issues owing to Mon El. (Also, people do grieve over losing their boyfriends--especially, if they think he might have died, and they were the reason for it, don't they? After hearing so many complaints I am starting to question. I mean, I didn't like the romance or that it took so much of her screentime, but I can still understand that she needs to grieve; and that the journey and coping mechanism are different for everyone.)

I think, between S2 and S3, the sisters are getting into a deeper relationship than S1. Something more mature.

I liked the entire Kara-Lena interaction--the initial awkwardness; Lena going into boss mode and calling Kara out, the apology.

I liked the James-Lena part as well. Quite understandable that he would be mad. Not clear why she ignored him though.

Also... did anyone think that Lena's ability to joke about her Luthor lineage is a bit of a character growth. She was too touchy about it last season. This season she joked about it with Kara. (I liked most instances).

Also, good grief! It's true. Katie Mcgrath has chemistry with everyone. I could see it with Kara as well as James.

And Kelly, I mentioned this in Supergirl.TV forum, but the elevator scene made sense to me because Kara was in full panic mode and probably just wanted to get out of there... Hence, didn't care about anything at all including possible exposure. Hopefully, we will see a fall out some day.

I noticed that Kara is still trying to disassociate from humanness. But, it has changed in how it is expressed.

(It should have been ten; but while I liked Alex with Ruby, Ruby herself, the writing for her is off. Why do writers infantilise children? Shouldn't a 12-year old know better? I think they should make someone with teens write about teens. Or may be US kids are different? Because I have seen this in almost every show with kids. Kids in India of that age would never want to be seen hugging their mom in public.)

I think this was one of the best episodes of the series. I am glad they have an actor (well, actors if you include Chyler and David) who can pull this off.

I feel that there is a lot of her trauma after leaving Krypton that Kara suppressed or never talked in detail to Alex or Eliza about. After all, we still keep getting scenes where Alex says she has never heard Kara talk about that before.

May be because she was in a strange new planet and she didn't want to trouble the nice people who took her in; may be because the newness of the planet and relationships (hey! I have a whole new sis now) enabled her to not think of her losses. May be because kids are good at burying trauma until it comes back when something triggers it.

Anyways, I have always wanted Kara to actually deal with a lot of her losses. So, I don't mind at all that she is dealing with her issues owing to Mon El. (Also, people do grieve over losing their boyfriends--especially, if they think he might have died, and they were the reason for it, don't they? After hearing so many complaints I am starting to question. I mean, I didn't like the romance or that it took so much of her screentime, but I can still understand that she needs to grieve; and that the journey and coping mechanism are different for everyone.)

I think, between S2 and S3, the sisters are getting into a deeper relationship than S1. Something more mature.

I liked the entire Kara-Lena interaction--the initial awkwardness; Lena going into boss mode and calling Kara out, the apology.

I liked the James-Lena part as well. Quite understandable that he would be mad. Not clear why she ignored him though.

Also... did anyone think that Lena's ability to joke about her Luthor lineage is a bit of a character growth. She was too touchy about it last season. This season she joked about it with Kara. (I liked most instances).

Also, good grief! It's true. Katie Mcgrath has chemistry with everyone. I could see it with Kara as well as James.

And Kelly, I mentioned this in Supergirl.TV forum, but the elevator scene made sense to me because Kara was in full panic mode and probably just wanted to get out of there... Hence, didn't care about anything at all including possible exposure. Hopefully, we will see a fall out some day.

I noticed that Kara is still trying to disassociate from humanness. But, it has changed in how it is expressed.

(It should have been ten; but while I liked Alex with Ruby, Ruby herself, the writing for her is off. Why do writers infantilise children? Shouldn't a 12-year old know better? I think they should make someone with teens write about teens. Or may be US kids are different? Because I have seen this in almost every show with kids. Kids in India of that age would never want to be seen hugging their mom in public.)

I totally get why she did it....that is not what makes it a plot hole, what makes it a plot hole is that for some reason no one ever mentions it. It could have very quickly at the end have been a pretty funny one liner from Katie about why there was a hole in the roof, and Kara desperately trying to stay cool. And then DONE, plot hole averted.

May be they will deal with at a later date?

J'onn (David) is not going away, is he? I'd not like it if he is.

It's a symbiotic relationship between the actors and writers. Because the actors are so good the writers give them more challenging material. The actors in turn challenge the writers to produce more nuanced material.

It should have been ten; but while I liked Alex with Ruby, Ruby herself, the writing for her is off. Why do writers infantilise children? Shouldn't a 12-year old know better? I think they should make someone with teens write about teens. Or may be US kids are different? Because I have seen this in almost every show with kids. Kids in India of that age would never want to be seen hugging their mom in public.
American teens especially girls but boys too do hug thier parents in public. At 12 Ruby should absolutely know better than to intentionally put herself in danger like she did, that bugged me. She should be punished for that behavior as well as hitting the other girl in school.

Another episode I found to be ok.

Lena coming to CatCo is just weird to me but maybe they were tired of having most of her scenes at work and wanted her to interact with the other characters.

I haven't watched the episodes since they aired, but the Reign stuff feels like a fast forward version of the Doomsday storyline in Smallville.

Shows and films sure do like making kids be very dumber than they should be.

I liked the POV shots from inside Kara's ship.

Last weeks was a decent enough episode (although nowhere near strong enough for a season opener. Triggers was pretty subpar, a very dull episode.

- Psi been able to defeat J'onn was quite frankly ridiculous IMO, I get you need to let your villain be strong but J'onn is a Martian and he's been around a long long time. Yet somehow this meta can beat him in like 10 seconds? Awful.
- Melissa seems off in certain moments, even as someone whose acting a certain way she doesn't feel like she's giving good enough performances in some scenes.
- They need to get rid of the depressing tone, last season was too goofy, now it's too serious. Find a happy medium folks.
- very little Alex and Maggie this week thank god, but they had to throw something in there. Good sowing the seeds for a breakup it seems.
- the reign storyline, eh, what they did this week was ok I guess. But overall I was just bored.
- Psi was terrible, don't know if it was the actress, the material or both. But she just didn't work at all.
- I was glad Lena gave Kara **** fro not doing her job properly, that moment neeeed to happen.
- The best bits were Supergirl smashing her way out of the elevator and the part where she saw herself on Krypton.

Probably give it a 6, it wasn't unwatchable but it was mostly dull.

Do you like wait and see what everyone else likes and then go the total opposite. LOL For most everyone the elevator scene was the plot hole, and the acting was off the charts. Most everyone loved Psi and want her to come back you hate her. Pretty funny..... ;)

I thought the season opener was great...this one not so much. Psi was cringeworthy imo. Lena at CatCo isn’t doing much for me, though tbf the whole CatCo thing is disposable without Cat Grant. And the bit with Olsen being left out only shines a light on how disposable the character is quickly becoming. Alex and Maggie are an interesting couple but the writers need to do more than create a dispute of the week plot line. I dunno, maybe I’m just grouchy tonight, but this ep was disappointing.

I have to agree on James and Maggie/Alex, both story lines have gone a bit stale for me as well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"