Supergirl Episode 3.10 "The Legion of Super-Heroes" (SPOILERS)

The Lena and Jimmy stuff had no place in this episode. Overall found this to be a disappointment coming after the last one

I thought it was a solid episode , and I also liked Brainac 5.

Well, Brainiac 5 with a mullet and the Legion playing Bon Jovi. Plus J'onn talking abot kissing James. that was one weird hour of television.

I really liked Braniac 5. And, I still don't understand why Kara getting together with Brainiac 5 late in the season is a bad idea.

Liked that Alex had something to do this episode considering she is basically sitting out the next two episodes. And I am glad that the Danvers sisters focus is still there in the latter half of the season.

And.. I may be the only one but I didn't mind the Lena-James scenes or arc so much. It brings the emphasis of how much of a weakness and preoccupation Lena has with the Luthor name. As in, she still has not gotten over it and whenever someone brushes her off, her first fallback option is that. That along with the lie thing is a hint I think as to how she would take to Sam and Kara revelations.

And besides, when Kara is incapacitated, it is a natural thing to show how Lena (being her best friend and all) would deal with it and how James deal with the fact that Lena doesn't know Kara is Supergirl. At this point, I feel Lena would be more mad at James for the lie since he well kind of exacerbated it (without Kara's input) by getting someone else to impersonate Kara. In real life, that would sting. And, how would Lena know J'onn never told James what they talked about? Ouch.

If Edge continues into next season, then I think Lena will find out about Kara only next season. If not, may by this season end with next season being the fall out.

Also... I really having scenes where Melissa can show how much of a versatile actor she is... The J'onn as Kara scene was wonderful.

Imra and Mon El do seem to be in love. I didn't mind Mon El not taking action since he probably knows best what he was risking by getting into the fight. It was not about just his and his teammates' life but the entire future as well.

The Legion fight was lame. We don't yet know what exactly are Imra's powers, right? Also, has anybody actually called her Saturngirl so far?

I was still happy to see Kara get to save the day. And glad to know Reign will just leave. So, we may get her back in future seasons (depending on Odette's availability).

I feel this show has been better and more consistent this season than either of the previous two seasons.

Last edited:
So... early in the episode, the Legion trio said they couldn’t do battle with Reign - as this might screw up the space-time continuum (or some such). Fair enough. But later on, they did intervene. Was this because the space-time problem was solved? Or did they just agree to ignore the possible consequences? I totally missed the explanation. :O

I loved this episode, Kara and Brainiac 5's interactions in her mind were great and it established him nicely in his first appearanmce as a likable and quirky character.

Melissa acting as J'onn acting as Kara was hilarious and the Bon Jovi nods made the episode for me! :applaud

The scenes between James and Lena were the episodes only weak spot, it's not that they were bad, they just felt awkward in this particular ep with everything that was going on.

The bank and prison action sequences were both good, Odette doesn't look as comfortable doing them as Melissa and Chyler do but they worked around that, and I dug Brainiac's Captain's chair! :D

Always good to get a Danvers sisters scene at the end and I'm intrigued to see who Reign's recruits will be.

Just watched it, was watching The Gifted season final. SG ep was a good one, hope we get to see more of the Legion

Well, Brainiac 5 with a mullet and the Legion playing Bon Jovi. Plus J'onn talking abot kissing James. that was one weird hour of television.

You are so wrong, that wasn't a mullet, mullets were short at the sides - However, it really was a terrible wig and a terrible hairstyle for a show made in 2017.

The logic of this show is often ridiculous. If Reign is so powerful and so world threatening,why didn't Jimmy contact Superman - Clark Kent would have also seen what was happening on TV and in the media too.
As for Mon El, he is pathetic almost every week,from what I remember in the comics, he was almost as powerful as Superman with almost the same powers.
It's almost as if they bring these characters in,but cannot afford the cost of making them super powerful, so they end up being soap opera cliches

As for Mon El, he is pathetic almost every week,from what I remember in the comics, he was almost as powerful as Superman...

In the comics, and according to the Fake Science of Superheroes™ :-)word:), Mon-El’s powers are identical to Superman’s. This is because they have identical backstories: born on a red star planet, transposed to a yellow star planet. Now in the Supergirl mythos (and others), it apparently takes some time for the Sun’s special radiations to fully charge up a red star native. So initially, Mon-El’s comparatively modest abilities could be explained by this pretext. But accounting for the time spent in the future and, especially, the 10,000 years in suspended animation, I’m not sure why he’s still not at Supergirl’s level. :shrug:

In the comics, and according to the Fake Science of Superheroes™ :-)word:), Mon-El’s powers are identical to Superman’s. This is because they have identical backstories: born on a red star planet, transposed to a yellow star planet. Now in the Supergirl mythos (and others), it apparently takes some time for the Sun’s special radiations to fully charge up a red star native. So initially, Mon-El’s comparatively modest abilities could be explained by this pretext. But accounting for the time spent in the future and, especially, the 10,000 years in suspended animation, I’m not sure why he’s still not at Supergirl’s level. :shrug:

bc its her show and they dont want her to be overshadowed, not that it makes sense in unverise

I'm not sure why we haven't at least gotten a phone call from Clark. I think the writers have missed that opportunity.

Superman hasn't overshadowed her yet, but more than anything I think it is Hoechlin just isn't able to do it at the moment.

Really enjoyed that episode. Brainiac 5 is great, I hope he sticks around more often.

bc it's her show and they don't want her to be overshadowed, not that it makes sense in-universe

Sure. And this is the reason (at least “meta-textually” :cwink:) why Supergirl was able to best Superman in a fight. But by that same reckoning, Mon-El could be up near Superman’s level and still be inferior to Supergirl - thus satisfying the “it’s her show” privilege. But according to last night’s episode, Mon was only able to fly via a Legion ring and couldn’t punch his way out of an ice ball. :huh: Dude remains seriously de-powered. I wonder how he passed the Legion of Super-Heroes entrance exam. :o

Maybe I missed something or my recollection is faulty, but I didn't get why Imra and Mon-El couldn't fight at first because they had to preserve their DNA to protect the future. Can't they just leave a DNA sample, like blood or a hair? Even in MoS the codex with all of Krypton's DNA permutations was said not to need Kal's live body.

The fact they didn't even mention contacting Superman is really a bad bit of writing from the writers...Yes Hoechlin may not be available...but it makes no sense that he wouldn't even be mentioned.

Brainic 5 does look horrible, but the performance was good and quirky and he played off of Supergirl nicely. So, I think performance trumps the costume/make up in this case. But the counter-counter agrument is he should both look good and have a good performance, so it is sad we're only getting one half. But I'll take what I can get.

Pretty good episode, I usually hate coma episodes.

Last edited:
There were times where he didn't look so bad, almost alien rather than painted, but sometimes the lighting just made him look horrible......but getting past that, I fell in love with him. I want him to stay and become best buddies with Kara....REALLY BAD I want that. :(

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something or my recollection is faulty, but I didn't get why Imra and Mon-El couldn't fight at first because they had to preserve their DNA to protect the future. Can't they just leave a DNA sample, like blood or a hair? Even in MoS the codex with all of Krypton's DNA permutations was said not to need Kal's live body.

As a leader of a team that is from the future, Mon-el has to make tough decisions and they have to stay well and able to get back to their time and fight. So, knowing that Supergirl will be ok, and Reign will leave at some point....making the decision to help and maybe die in the process had to be made by him.

Kind of like, do you play your franchise QB in the last game of the season when you are already in the play offs and the game means nothing to you later on? Most coaches would say, hell no. Same problem here....you know things will get better, but yes many, many will die....so do you help knowing that Supergirl herself almost die, and you certainly could without her help or do you stand aside and let this time period take care of itself. General Schott in the crossover made that same decision, screw Earth 1, he had to take care of his earth. Tough decision, but those are the decisions that leaders have to make. Imra, and I'm sure still caring for this time period and the people their made him go ahead and take the chance. They would have died had Supergirl not woke up. No way they could have defeated Reign, it was obvious....so in retrospect, for his time he made the wrong decision. But, it worked out in the end....lucky them. And do you do something that totally screws up the timeline, ie Flash.... PLUS, all of what you stated above. Also, this is their own canon at this point for the series, they can write without looking to any other movie, comic, or TV iterations. People may not like it, but it is their creative choices to make.

Highlights:

Supergirl figuring out it is Kara that really matters
Melissa hamming it up as J'onn/Melissa
Bon Jovi references
Kara's cat anecdote
Kara/Alex wine scene

Thoughts on The Legion of Superheroes...

- Brainiac 5 sure as hell looked like **** but I really liked him. The character is most important and they nailed that aspect. The scenes with him and Kara in her subconscious were really good.
- It was obvious Samantha and her daughter were playing nerf wars (or whatever it’s called)
- Loved that moment when Reign went after the criminal who stole the van. The flying Fx were awesome.
- Lena and James only kissed? Was thinking they’d done more than that.
- I like Reign I really do, I think it helps I like the actress.
- The DEO conveniently has Kryptonite aswell as anti Superman weapons should he turn bad. So why didn’t they use them in the S2 finale when he was fighting Kara? Still always love the mentions of Clark/Superman though.
- I wonder how Melissa felt in that tank of water must have been uncomfortable.
- I love when Melissa gets to play Jonn as Kara. It’s always hilarious.
- The DEO vs Reign was cool AF. Loved the Kryptonite chain too very reminiscent of Superman the Movie.
- I really liked the conflict of the Legion helping potentially effecting the timeline. It was nice to see that they didn’t just jump into danger without giving it some real thought.
- Streaky! Awesome
- But cheesy with the flight rings but I still liked it.
- Loved Bon Jovi haha.
- Legion vs Reign outside the prison was also cool AF. When Jonn entered I was like holy **** it’s about time!
- When Reign said to Supergirl “I thought you were dead”, Supergirl could have had a better comeback than “I got better”, writers missed out on a cool moment.
- Supergirl and Brainiacs conversation at the end was funny.
- I know I shouldn’t but I like Lena and James together. The actors certainly have chemistry.
- It was so great to get Alex and Kara again. I’ve really missed that on this show.
- I really love Reign’s Fortress. Looks like there are other worldkillers out there.

That was the best episode of Supergirl since Midvale. Really enjoyed it, there wasn’t much I disliked at all. Which has been rare for this season (and most of last). All in all I give it a very solid 8/10.

As a leader of a team that is from the future, Mon-el has to make tough decisions and they have to stay well and able to get back to their time and fight. So, knowing that Supergirl will be ok, and Reign will leave at some point....making the decision to help and maybe die in the process had to be made by him.

Kind of like, do you play your franchise QB in the last game of the season when you are already in the play offs and the game means nothing to you later on? Most coaches would say, hell no. Same problem here....you know things will get better, but yes many, many will die....so do you help knowing that Supergirl herself almost die, and you certainly could without her help or do you stand aside and let this time period take care of itself. General Schott in the crossover made that same decision, screw Earth 1, he had to take care of his earth. Tough decision, but those are the decisions that leaders have to make. Imra, and I'm sure still caring for this time period and the people their made him go ahead and take the chance. They would have died had Supergirl not woke up. No way they could have defeated Reign, it was obvious....so in retrospect, for his time he made the wrong decision. But, it worked out in the end....lucky them. And do you do something that totally screws up the timeline, ie Flash.... PLUS, all of what you stated above. Also, this is their own canon at this point for the series, they can write without looking to any other movie, comic, or TV iterations. People may not like it, but it is their creative choices to make.

Thanks, and I get that it's tough to consider one's own value as a fighter for a cause that will need one someday. However, that wasn't what the explanation in the episode seemed to focus on. If I'm not mistaken, they made it seem like it wasn't so much their skills and abilities as fighters or leaders that needed to be protected but their DNA. I didn't get that particular bit of explanation.

I don't presume to know how their sci-fi fix works, as it's not real, but I was under the impression that DNA could be found in just one cell of a person; therefore a sample need only be saved and preserved rather than their whole bodies if DNA preservation was the only concern. Had they simply left out the DNA explanation and said that they were needed as leaders and fighters in the future, it would have oddly made more sense to me.

You are so wrong, that wasn't a mullet, mullets were short at the sides - However, it really was a terrible wig and a terrible hairstyle for a show made in 2017.[/QUO

O.K, He looked like a cross between David Spade and a ST TOS alien.:cwink:

One thing that is annoying is the fact that Superman doesn't get involved when a new Kryptonian is leaving symbols around and killing people. This is my 2nd episode after taking a break from this show since the Jonn's father episode

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"