Exiles: Proteus-Morph Discussion

Spidey_Zombie

Civilian
Reaction score
This has been buggin me for awhile now... But will we ever see the Morph again? And not Proteus brainwashed to be Morph? I hate that they killed him off... :bh:

It's quite lame, but he's pretty much Morph. Everyone certainly treats him that way.

I quit reading Exiles because of this. Proteus as Morph is incredibly lame, and the fact that all of the other Exiles just happily go along with it takes it beyond lame into perverse territory. The very idea that you could burn away everything that makes a person who they are, then brainwash someone else into thinking they're that person and all of that person's friends would be okay with that, like nothing's changed--it's one of those rare things in superhero comics that literally makes me feel vaguely ill because it's so bad.

Wait, its Morph's personality AND his actual body, so isn't it morph?

They could EASILY explain away the usual death effect for Proteus victim's by saying Morph has some inert resistance/ physiology.

I wouldn't worry about it.

It's a bit odd how Clermont inherited this plot point and kept it around.

No, it's not Morph. It's Proteus masquerading as Morph. That knowledge just makes everything out of 'Morph's' mouth sound like some kind of obnoxious wink to the reader, going, "Hey, remember when Morph would tell jokes like this? You know, before we killed him and then replaced him and expected you to just laugh it off?" And, of course, there's always the looming threat that Proteus could remember who he is. And there's also the immorality that gets transferred onto the rest of the Exiles for essentially keeping Proteus in a brainwashed stupor and acting like Morph never died.

Exiles ended the second clairmont came on for me anyway, so I don't care anymore.

No, it's not Morph. It's Proteus masquerading as Morph. That knowledge just makes everything out of 'Morph's' mouth sound like some kind of obnoxious wink to the reader, going, "Hey, remember when Morph would tell jokes like this? You know, before we killed him and then replaced him and expected you to just laugh it off?" And, of course, there's always the looming threat that Proteus could remember who he is. And there's also the immorality that gets transferred onto the rest of the Exiles for essentially keeping Proteus in a brainwashed stupor and acting like Morph never died.
Actually Proteus is brainwashed to believe he's Morph... Carrying all of his memories... The real morph is either dead or retained inside the body trapped.

Well its morph's body too..

Would Morph even have a brain?

He has a conciousness, and that's been fried away.

Exiles ended the second clairmont came on for me anyway, so I don't care anymore.
That's my feeling as well. I might've believed Bedard had an endgame in mind that would see Morph returned to being the person that he was instead of an abomination, but Claremont? Yeah, right. Exiles is right there with Checkmate as a series that just stopped existing for me at a certain point.

Don't you think Morph would appreciate the fact that he's not in such a terrible book, as New Exiles, and we all acknowledge that fact?

I could eventually see Claremont do a story where Proteus attempts to take over, but Morph's personality conquers it. Kind of like Dinobot 2 from Beast Wars. There's some potential there.

I have dropped Exiles since Claremont ruined it also.

But, my two cents on the Proteus/Morph thing is that, like everyone else said, it's not Morph any longer. The other side of the coin however, is that since Morph's body is ever shifting due to the instability in his structure, Proteus can't use up his body. Thus, Morph isn't dead and can be saved if they could remove Proteus from his body.

The problem I have with it, is that none of them seem to give a rats patoot whether they ever get Proteus out of him, and like Corp said, that is immoral and sick. :(

When I saw the thread title, I thought they'd somehow gotten Proteus out of Morph. I wasn't gonna start reading he book again or anything, but it woulda been nice :up:

I hate Morph. I hated him before. I hate him now. His whole being makes no sense. Exiles stopped being good after they changed the creative team for the first time OR after they killed Mimic. Both were bad ideas but I cannot remember which happened first. My memory seems to say they changed the team and then the new team killed off Mimic because they were brought in to remind people that this is the sort of book that shakes things up. Or, in other words, the sort of book that doesn't give a **** about its long-term characters and doesn't respect the creators of said characters. Amen, brothers.

I have dropped Exiles since Claremont ruined it also.

But, my two cents on the Proteus/Morph thing is that, like everyone else said, it's not Morph any longer. The other side of the coin however, is that since Morph's body is ever shifting due to the instability in his structure, Proteus can't use up his body. Thus, Morph isn't dead and can be saved if they could remove Proteus from his body.

The problem I have with it, is that none of them seem to give a rats patoot whether they ever get Proteus out of him, and like Corp said, that is immoral and sick. :(

I feel you both missed a great opportunity to use the word "ghoulish" which I mean come on, that's not something that comes along every day.

I hate Morph.

I couldn't remember why I had you set to ignore so I clicked over to view your post and read the first sentence and went like "Oh, I guess that'd be why."

In order for Exiles to be on my radar again, Morph and Mimic have to return and return to normal and CC needs to stop writing. Bedard, I miss you!

Claremont needs to stop writing Exiles. That's the only thing that would make me consider reading it again.

In order for Exiles to be on my radar again, Morph and Mimic have to return and return to normal and CC needs to stop writing. Bedard, I miss you!

Claremont needs to stop writing Exiles. That's the only thing that would make me consider reading it again.

Yes, yes, and yes. :up:

Claremont needs off the title, and Bedard needs to be put back on it, and the lame characters need to be booted other than Morph (put back to normal) and Mystiq. (He is the only interesting character introduced post Claremont.)

I don't see why Morph has to be dead. I mean, what is a person but their collected memories and their body? Morph is alive. Proteus said as much, at one point, that his victims actually do remain alive inside his consciousness.

That's just semantics, though. He's not alive in any meaningful sense until he's freed from Proteus and given back control of his body.

I never understood why they didn't just use some kind of psychic rejiggery to remove Proteus and every other set of memories from the body. I guess somehow it was decided that it made for a better story to have Mimic, one of the heart-and-soul characters of the story from day one, dead, and to have Morph secretly in the thrall of an evil psycho crazy****, so they did it, but I think it needs fixing.

The World Tour idea was cool, but they really should have chosen someone other than Proteus. Either that, or just not killed Mimic and Morph.

I don't even think either of those would have actually been that bad if they'd actually let the deaths mean something by letting the team actually beat Proteus, instead of this jacked-up skin-puppet ********.

...I mean they even more or less killed Mimic before with the Brood and the book worked fine before they brought him back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"