• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fallout 4

It felt like this was where they were headed with it. They've been pretty much silent since June. I'm not sure what the details are, other than that Sony hates Mods, but Bethesda still has a major part of the blame no matter what. I just wish I had known, because I would have gotten Fallout 4 on XB1. If I ever get Skyrim, it'd be on XB1 now. If they hadn't made promises they couldn't keep...

so, is it true that when you use mods on the X1, you can't unlock achievements?

so, is it true that when you use mods on the X1, you can't unlock achievements?
That's how it works on PC. Since you're using mods with your Bethesda account, it can tell when you're using them, so you can't block that.

That's how it works on PC. Since you're using mods with your Bethesda account, it can tell when you're using them, so you can't block that.

thanks.

I suppose that's......fair. since mods change the gameplay.

but that means you have to essentially play through the game multiple times?

so, one regularly without mods if you want to unlock achievements. and then a separate playthrough with mods?

thanks.

I suppose that's......fair. since mods change the gameplay.

but that means you have to essentially play through the game multiple times?

so, one regularly without mods if you want to unlock achievements. and then a separate playthrough with mods?
Yeah, as long as you have mods installed, you'll be unable to earn achievements, even if you add them after you start the game. So I guess it might make more sense to playthrough without mods, get all the achievements and then play with mods. But then there might not be much to do to fully enjoy the full game with them.

The funny thing is Skyrim on PC didn't have Bethesda support for mods like Fallout 4 does, so you can still earn Steam Achievements there. But I suppose that will change once they upgrade that version as well.

Yeah, as long as you have mods installed, you'll be unable to earn achievements, even if you add them after you start the game. So I guess it might make more sense to playthrough without mods, get all the achievements and then play with mods. But then there might not be much to do to fully enjoy the full game with them.

The funny thing is Skyrim on PC didn't have Bethesda support for mods like Fallout 4 does, so you can still earn Steam Achievements there. But I suppose that will change once they upgrade that version as well.

thanks.

So, even something non gameplay related like a cosmetic/face mod would block achievements?

hmmm......that does sound.......kind of inconvenient. Don't think I'd have the time, patience, or interest to playthrough a game multiple times.

maybe, mods aren't that important to me, after all........lol.

You could get the achievements you want, and then install the mods.

Unless your one of those rare gamers who doesn't care about achievements, in which case you're in luck!

I know people are throwing a lot of **** at Sony, but to some extent, Bethesda is to blame for this. They should not have promised to deliver something that was ultimately out of their control. They should really make right with PS4 owners by offering some free DLC or something.

Eh its wildly blown out proportion considering most of the quality modders have abandoned the game because of how limited its systems are. The stuff that is available on Xbox One, isn't anything to write home about.

I know people are throwing a lot of **** at Sony, but to some extent, Bethesda is to blame for this. They should not have promised to deliver something that was ultimately out of their control. They should really make right with PS4 owners by offering some free DLC or something.
I kinda feel like the majority of blame that Sony is receiving is based on how Bethesda phrased it, along with the fact that people are already disappointed by the PS4 Pro. I know they're seemingly unrelated, but it's a lot easier to continue kicking Sony because of other news from the week.

I kinda feel like the majority of blame that Sony is receiving is based on how Bethesda phrased it, along with the fact that people are already disappointed by the PS4 Pro. I know they're seemingly unrelated, but it's a lot easier to continue kicking Sony because of other news from the week.

yeah. I wonder if Beth timed that blog post. kick em while they're down!! :sly:

Eh its wildly blown out proportion considering most of the quality modders have abandoned the game because of how limited its systems are. The stuff that is available on Xbox One, isn't anything to write home about.

That is irrelevant. Quality is not what is at question here. Bethesda promised something. Not Sony, Bethesda. They promised their customers, both in the lead up to Fallout 4 and after its release that there would be console mods. Sony never said "hey everyone! Fallout 4 is going to have mods on the PS4!" Bethesda said it. Customers relied on that promise and bought the game. Bethesda ought to make good to their customers.

Yeah, I agree generally, especially regarding Bethesda's phrasing. They really did pass the buck. Rather than owning that they promised something that they could not deliver, they sought out a scapegoat and pushed the blame. Its not as big of a deal with Skyrim. I simply won't buy Skyrim Remastered and will play the PS3 version if I get the urge. But I already bought Fallout, based largely on Bethesda's representations. And now here they are, failing to deliver something that they promised before knowing whether or not they actually could deliver, and now they are trying to blame someone else.

it will be interesting if another company, like Bioware, does get into the console mod with upcoming games like ME: A, and they are able to get mods working on both the X1 and PS4.

if that happens, then you know the fault lies more with Bethesda than Sony.

if, however, Sony blocks or plays hardball with another company, then you know the fault lies more with Sony.

as of now, it's hard to truly know who's more to blame. Both parties share the blame and both parties should strive to resolve it. Because ultimately, it doesn't look good for either company.

If I do end up getting Skyrim for the PS4, and if there's no mod support by launch date, then I will probably wait for the game to go on sale ( since I'm not paying full price without access to all the features ) or I'll wait until the mod issue gets resolved. So, a delayed purchase. I will also be wary of future Bethesda games on the PS4 - knowing I'm missing out on a key feature. and that doesn't help Bethesda.

if I decide to switch to the X1 S to play Skyrim and future Beth games, then that hurts Sony because they lost a customer to their competitor.

Last edited:
That is irrelevant. Quality is not what is at question here. Bethesda promised something. Not Sony, Bethesda. They promised their customers, both in the lead up to Fallout 4 and after its release that there would be console mods. Sony never said "hey everyone! Fallout 4 is going to have mods on the PS4!" Bethesda said it. Customers relied on that promise and bought the game. Bethesda ought to make good to their customers.

Yeah, I agree generally, especially regarding Bethesda's phrasing. They really did pass the buck. Rather than owning that they promised something that they could not deliver, they sought out a scapegoat and pushed the blame. Its not as big of a deal with Skyrim. I simply won't buy Skyrim Remastered and will play the PS3 version if I get the urge. But I already bought Fallout, based largely on Bethesda's representations. And now here they are, failing to deliver something that they promised before knowing whether or not they actually could deliver, and now they are trying to blame someone else.
I get where you're coming from, it's more the principle of the matter, but bare in mind, this is the same company that jacked up the price for its season pass at the last minute and gave you substantially less content than its previous game.

^ yeah. I forgot about the Season Pass price increase.

and I don't remember, but when exactly did Beth promise console mods for Fallout 4?

was it last year when they revealed it at E3? So, from the beginning or at some time before launch last November?

On the flipside, I've hear people complaining about Sony also increasing the price of PS Plus a week before it was down for a few hours.

On the flipside, I've hear people complaining about Sony also increasing the price of PS Plus a week before it was down for a few hours.

yeah. that was also another "mark" against Sony.

so 3 "black eyes" one right after another ( PS+ price raise, no 4K player in Pro, no mod support ).

yeah. that was also another "mark" against Sony.

so 3 "black eyes" one right after another ( PS+ price raise, no 4K player in Pro, no mod support ).
Don't forget their "refusal" to do cross-platform multiplayer.

Although I think people are being unrealistic about that. Doing so benefits everyone except Sony, so it makes sense that they would "refuse". Also, that's mostly Microsoft trying to start crap to get people talking and complaining in the first place.

Don't forget their "refusal" to do cross-platform multiplayer.

Although I think people are being unrealistic about that. Doing so benefits everyone except Sony, so it makes sense that they would "refuse". Also, that's mostly Microsoft trying to start crap to get people talking and complaining in the first place.

yeah. cross play was another thing, though that's less of a concern to me.

I still blame Bethesda, really. They put the cart infront of the horse. I mean, even in the Skyrim trailer they promised mods for (both) consoles. How they didn't even investigate, or ask questions, about how feasible getting mods would be just seems either arrogant or incompetent. Maybe they thought they could pressure Sony into it, which with publicly blaming them I guess is ultimately what's happening. They seem to have a real knack for ****ing things on Playstation consoles, too. Far Harbor ran like **** on PS4, and instead of doing the work to make it right, they just ripped out the defining visual quality of it. There's no excuse for a multiplatform game to run worse on a Playstation console than an Xbox because of how comparable both are now. And there's plenty of games that run on par with eachother on both consoles. So, it just seem that when it comes to Playstation, Bethesda ****s the bed often with Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

I just wish they'd had been more forthcoming with how they were doing all this. One would have assumed they KNEW they could get it done if they promised it. But, now we know they just thought they could. They seem to have a closer relationship with Microsoft, since I do recall Todd Howard saying they were working closely with Microsoft after nagging them for years about making this happen. But, I can't recall him or anyone at Bethesda making the same claim about Sony.

People can blame Sony all they want, and to a certain degree I'd agree. But, I didn't see anyone from Sony making promises about having mods on PS4.

And I get the feeling that they're making this out to seem to simple. Calling it a Mod ban makes it sound like Sony hates puppies or something. Some of the rumors I've read is that it could really be about protecting the systems proprietary stuff, etc. Maybe it's just because of the election we're having, but the whole things seems to be devolving into a political ad of some kind.

Last edited:
I still blame Bethesda, really. They put the cart infront of the horse. I mean, even in the Skyrim trailer they promised mods for (both) consoles. How they didn't even investigate, or ask questions, about how feasible getting mods would be just seems either arrogant or incompetent. Maybe they thought they could pressure Sony into it, which with publicly blaming them I guess is ultimately what's happening. They seem to have a real knack for ****ing things on Playstation consoles, too. Far Harbor ran like **** on PS4, and instead of doing the work to make it right, they just ripped out the defining visual quality of it. There's no excuse for a multiplatform game to run worse on a Playstation console than an Xbox because of how comparable both are now. And there's plenty of games that run on par with eachother on both consoles. So, it just seem that when it comes to Playstation, Bethesda ****s the bed often with Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

I just wish they'd had been more forthcoming with how they were doing all this. One would have assumed they KNEW they could get it done if they promised it. But, now we know they just thought they could. They seem to have a closer relationship with Microsoft, since I do recall Todd Howard saying they were working closely with Microsoft after nagging them for years about making this happen. But, I can't recall him or anyone at Bethesda making the same claim about Sony.

People can blame Sony all they want, and to a certain degree I'd agree. But, I didn't see anyone from Sony making promises about having mods on PS4.

And I get the feeling that they're making this out to seem to simple. Calling it a Mod ban makes it sound like Sony hates puppies or something. Some of the rumors I've read is that it could really be about protecting the systems proprietary stuff, etc. Maybe it's just because of the election we're having, but the whole things seems to be devolving into a political ad of some kind.

Nail on the head.

Is it still limited to only 2gb of mod storage the way the One is? Didn't see that anywhere in the article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"