Fallout 4

A new thread! And remember dwellers:

War, war never changes.

Probably more like Besthesda's engine never changes, amirite?

Just picked the game up yesterday, so I thought I'd share a few initial thoughts I've had on it so far after a mere 3 hours of play time.

To say the game is disappointing would be overstating it, but I think it's more fair to say that there are elements of modern game design where Bethesda hasn't quite kept up to par, although there is certainly time for some of the game's systems to grow on me. Things like the menu designs and control schemes, camera angles, and most definitely the character animations are all pretty well below what I've come to expect from next-gen AAA titles. Bethesda would do well to take a look at studios that are nailing the modern design philosophy and incorporating elements into their titles. The amount of times in just 3 hours that I've been tripped up by a menu or given the wrong command by accident or had difficulty grabbing something in the world is nigh unacceptable.

Now, that all said, nobody creates a tone and an atmosphere as well as they do. The humor present in every moment and interaction in the game world is just so endearing that despite my frustrations with the way the game plays, I can't put it down. Is it a good shooter? Despite what some reviews have said, no it is not. Aiming is very difficult, damage drop-off is ridiculous at range, and the weapons have a too-light action when they fire. Is it a good tower defence/settlement builder type game? Aw hells no. It's extremely confusing understanding the workshop menus and knowing what materials you have or need. But despite all that, the feeling of roaming the wasteland and discovering new areas, of talking to survivors and persuading them in your direction, of finding and crafting new equipment (no matter how frustrating that crafting system is) is wonderful and engaging.

Pros
-Nice touches of humor throughout
-Style & Atmosphere
-Game world is lovingly crafted

Cons
-Controls/Menus
-Character graphics
-Settlement building is too involved/confusing

Now we'll see what changes as I get further into it

I suspect a high res texture mod will be coming very soon. (PC)

What's wrong with the controls? It basically plays like any Fallout before it. Characters graphics aren't super pretty.. But miles ahead of anything they've ever done to date.

I'm over 15 hours in. Easily my game of 2015.

Right now, at least, the controls to give commands (either picking stuff up or directing dogmeat) are awfully touchy, I'm constantly grabbing the wrong item by accident, and combat (both melee and shooting) is just so bad compared to pretty much any other game with fighting in it. And saying "it's the best they've done with the graphics" still doesn't say much when there were PS3 games that were miles prettier than this. Last of Us on PS3 blows this outta the water.

Not that any of it is that bad, it definitely is prettier and controls better than Fallout 3. But in the 7 years since that game came out, the industry has come a long way, whereas this game took only baby steps, resulting in it feeling sub-par in a way FO3 didn't.

again, the controls may grow on me, but it's not like Arkham Knight or Destiny or any of the big next gen titles where the second I played it I was like "oh wow, this feels so right"

TLOU's aesthetic isn't even close to what Fallout is going for. I think you mean you don't like the art-style that Fallout is going for. Fallout has a cartoony aesthetic to it, and it always has. TLOU is much more grounded, and has more of a realistic aesthetic to it.

no, I'm saying, aesthetics aside, TLOU was able to animate life-like figures better than any fallout game ever has

I'm fine if they go for something cartoony or art deco or retro futuristic, but they gotta learn to animate humans so they don't all look like robots

A better "for instance" might be Bioshock Infinite, which also had a cartoony and heavily-stylized look, but the characters didn't feel so plastic and artificial

Can anyone explain how to get lighting in your house? I know I need a generator to power the lights but how do I get that to power lights inside my house?

I don't think TLOU on PS3 has environments that look anywhere close to this...

yeah well that's why i said character animations

Heh, but the character animations aren't trying to be realistic. They carried over the entire style and aesthetic from the 90s games, and put them into a 3D world.

They're not going for "life-like" character animations.

Heh, but the character animations aren't trying to be realistic. They carried over the entire style and aesthetic from the 90s games, and put them into a 3D world.

They're not going for "life-like" character animations.

I have never read anything to that effect, but even so, it fails to work. The animations are too crude, and there is an eerie uncanny valley when people speak that takes away from the games.

'That's what they're going for' - if true - is still not an excuse.

I'm fine if they go for something cartoony or art deco or retro futuristic, but they gotta learn to animate humans so they don't all look like robots

Maybe they are...

Can anyone explain how to get lighting in your house? I know I need a generator to power the lights but how do I get that to power lights inside my house?

I was toying around with this yesterday, with limited success. From what I can tell you need to string a wire from the generator to whatever you want to run (although I'm guessing you already figured that part out). I worked out how to run a wire up the wall, by using a switch -but then connecting it to the ceiling fan became problematic. Even when I had a black line (as opposed to red, meaning it cant' be placed) there didn't seem to be anyway to make it stick on the fan.

Another strange thing I came across was trying to set up a trap. I put down one of those Tesla mines and it instantly went off, shocking me and then running itself out completely while I stood back and watched. I assumed it would function like the turrets, recognize enemies but allow friendlies (particularly the player) to pass unharmed. Not quite sure if there's a fix for that.

Maybe they are...
I was toying around with this yesterday, with limited success. From what I can tell you need to string a wire from the generator to whatever you want to run (although I'm guessing you already figured that part out). I worked out how to run a wire up the wall, by using a switch -but then connecting it to the ceiling fan became problematic. Even when I had a black line (as opposed to red, meaning it cant' be placed) there didn't seem to be anyway to make it stick on the fan.

Yea iv gotten a little better at understanding it but still not 100%. Iv figured that if i place a large power pole near a house, it'll power things like lights and ceiling fans, but ONLY if the lights are somewhat near the power pole. For example iv got a power pole near the front of my house and it'll power the living room, but anything in the back of the house, stays dark. Iv also rigged a power point(cant recall the actual name) directly to the house and ran a power cable from the pole to the point assuming that'd give me power to the entire house, nope. So not sure how in the hell im supposed to power a whole house outside of surrounding the damn thing with power poles.

Stupid question, but where is the "power pole"? I couldn't connect the wires to my indoor lights either.

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC
Fallout 4 ships 12 million on launch day
Published 11 hours ago. 133 comments.
"Representing sales in excess of $750 million."

Fallout-4-12-Million-Launch-Day.jpg

Fallout 4 shipped 12 million copies worldwide on launch day, November 10, “representing sales in excess of $750 million,” Bethesda Softworks announced.

“Major retailers have informed Bethesda of the tremendous consumer interest in Fallout 4 , with some noting it was the most pre-ordered game this year,” Bethesda said in a satement. “In addition, the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition was the fastest-selling collector’s edition of any game in history at leading retailers.

“Following the release, Bethesda was advised that launch day sales at some of the leading retail chains were the largest of any game released this year,” the company explained. “Bethesda is now shipping more Fallout 4 units to retailers to meet ongoing market demand.”

Bethesda notes that digital sales of Fallout 4 are also breaking records. Fallout 4 was the number one most-played game on Steam, and the Fallout 4 companion app, Fallout Pip-Boy, was the number one game on the iTunes App Store. Fallout 4 also set the record as the most viewed game launch of 2015, according to Twitch.

Fallout 4 is available now, but more content is on the way. Both Season Pass content and the Creation Kit will begin arriving in early 2016. Mods made from the Creation Kit will only be usable in the PC version at first, but will later on work for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, as well.

Read More

PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Bethesda Softworks, Fallout 4, RPG, Sales

source: Gematsu

Holy mother of Zod thats a lot of moolah. :hmr:

Fighting Radscorpions reminds me of Tremors.

Fighting Radscorpions reminds me of Tremors.

LOL! I thought I was the only one. Literally thought I was alone on this planet who felt the two were similar. That's epic.

Anyone else getting a 'Lois Lane' vibe of Piper?

I have been playing this game so much since Tuesday.

Never played a Fallout game before. It's really amazing how expansive and vast this map is. Not to mention you can pretty much access multiple levels to scavenge for goodies in every building, even ones that aren't important. It's very impressive, this must have taken lotta years to complete.

I'm a gamer poser and have gone over 10 years between console purchases so the things that impress me are prolly just another day in the park to y'all but cot damn this game is intricate...

I have some complaints like shooting mechanics and overall the game is fairly difficult but my issues with it haven't halted from getting really swept up into it.

Anybody join both the Minutemen and the Brotherhood of Steel and make it out to the Glowing Sea? I'm wondering how far along I've come in the game's entirety.

Arkham Knight had those nifty percentage counts so you knew where you stood and could anticipate the ending

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"