Fast and the Furious 9: The Fast Saga

Yeah, I think there's a bit of a difference between using CGI to finish a film and give an actor a nice send off versus making a whole other film and recreating said actor. I know Star Wars did it with TROS but they kinda had to include Carrie Fisher there because it just would have felt weird if she was completely absent. The F&F series has moved on without Paul, so it wouldn't feel right to suddenly bring him back. Though I do wonder how they'll explain his absence in this film, since Mia is back.

Last edited:
I can see why he and Rock didn’t get along. Vin seems like a nice guy if he likes you but his ego is bigger than anyone’s.

Clash of egos basically.

You know what i mean. Milking him this way in post mortem would be disgusting.

That depends, if his family is okay with it, I don't see the problem. I think they have to reference him more than in passing as Mia is doing the "mission" with the team from the looks of it.

Part One: They’re racing against a team that matches them in every way. It turns out to be their Bizarro versions. Vin V Vin

Part Two: They go back in time to the first movie to enlist the help of their 2001 younger selves to help fight against their Bizarro versions of 2020. Vin V Vin V Vin.

Perhaps they spend the two-parter restoring the timeline after realizing that Sean Boswell is like 40 years old.

You know what i mean. Milking him this way in post mortem would be disgusting.

Brian's a fictional character so I'm fine with him returning with cgi and a body double. It's not much different than using a dead actor's character on merchandising. The show must go on.

If they were making non fiction films starring paul walker as paul walker and making cgi paul walker do inappropriate **** I'd agree that's disgusting and disrespectful.

Besides when actors portray a character the studio owns that character and the actor's likeness. The studio can use the character with the actor's likeness in various ways. For example, Disney isnt going to stop putting Leia on star wars merchandising just because Carrie died.

I think it's less a question of "Can they?" and more a question of "Should they?" For me, it's one of those things where if the family is cool with it, especially if they involve his brothers again, then I suppose we as viewers shouldn't feel too uneasy about it all.

I think it's less a question of "Can they?" and more a question of "Should they?" For me, it's one of those things where if the family is cool with it, especially if they involve his brothers again, then I suppose we as viewers shouldn't feel too uneasy about it all.
I think its time for studios to start putting it in the contract when they hire an actor. I know that they negotiate royalties and rights for using the actor's likeness for merchandising, but they need to start specifically asking the actors if they are ok with a cgi double of themselves being used in films if they were to die. If the actor is ok with it then they can negotiate how much and in what capacity they can use the actor's cgi double. That way there is no question of "should we?" if the actor dies. No hand wringing and no moralizing about it.

I also think the studios need to start recording dialogue databases with actors for long running franchises. For example, Disney should really bring James Earl Jones in and record a bunch of dialogue that can be used and rearranged for any future darth vader appearances. James is 89 years old. He wont be alive much longer so they need to prepare for the inevitable.

Audrey Hepburn's family were all too happy with letting her hawk chocolate.

They're gonna make it happen one way or another.

Wow so theres technically three more movies left. Milking this damn thing for all its worth.

Well f8 made a billion. So three more movies sound reasonable, and they could do more than three especially if they decide to make smaller budgeted FF movies like in the 2000s.

The small budget movies won’t happen. They need to have big stunts every time now as that’s part of the selling point.

Brian's a fictional character so I'm fine with him returning with cgi and a body double. It's not much different than using a dead actor's character on merchandising. The show must go on.

If they were making non fiction films starring paul walker as paul walker and making cgi paul walker do inappropriate **** I'd agree that's disgusting and disrespectful.

Besides when actors portray a character the studio owns that character and the actor's likeness. The studio can use the character with the actor's likeness in various ways. For example, Disney isnt going to stop putting Leia on star wars merchandising just because Carrie died.

That’s an extremely awful way of looking at what an actor does. They aren’t puppets. They’re artists who make choices. Thats the beauty of what an actor does and why we love great performances. It’s those unique touches that a script or a director can’t replicate.

Once a computer makes those choices, that’s not Paul Walker playing Brian anymore because those aren’t his choices. It’s a puppet with a Paul Walker mask. And if you’re fine with that then we have very different views on what a performance makes, and the kinds of performances I want to watch.

That’s an extremely awful way of looking at what an actor does. They aren’t puppets. They’re artists who make choices. Thats the beauty of what an actor does and why we love great performances. It’s those unique touches that a script or a director can’t replicate.

Once a computer makes those choices, that’s not Paul Walker playing Brian anymore because those aren’t his choices. It’s a puppet with a Paul Walker mask. And if you’re fine with that then we have very different views on what a performance makes, and the kinds of performances I want to watch.

Aside from the noticeable cgi, can you point out any appreciable difference between Tarkin in Rogue One and Tarkin in ANH? Do you think the actor that portrayed Tarkin in Rogue One did a bad job? I dont think there was any difference and I think he nailed the character. Tarkin behaved exactly as Tarkin did in ANH, and he looked like Tarkin. I don't think cgi being used to make Tarkin look like he is supposed to look detracts from the actor's performance or the character. The only shortcoming in Rogue One was the noticeable cgi, but I consider that no more of a problem than how noticeable it is when a recast is done for a character.

I hear what you're saying about actors and their choices and performances, and I agree in a way. Using a cgi recreation of an actor to portray a character the actor never portrayed would likely be less than ideal because we would have no way of knowing how the actor would have portrayed the character. But in situations like Tarkin we have ANH to show us the choices Cushing made for the character. We see how he portrayed the character. And it can be replicated by skilled actors and animators. With Brian, we have 6 films to show us how Walker portrayed Brian and the choices he made and the studio has countless hours of unused takes, bad takes, and behind the scenes material to show them how Paul Walker developed his portrayal. I think with all that reference material, another skilled actor, and skilled animators they can replicate what the deceased actor did.

Wait... what does John Krasinski have to do with the Fantastic Four?

Anyway, this movie looks absolutely bonkers, which is what we all wanted it to be. I have my doubts as to whether John Cena can play a compelling antagonist, but this is Fast & Furious after all. One-note bad guys are kinda par for the course.

Han coming back is interesting (and CSI New Orleans guy too... blink and you'll miss him) and it makes be wonder where this series will go next, because we all know this isn't the last ride. If we're bringing back dead people and long lost brothers then we might as well try and snag a few characters from other films and franchises. Here are my suggestions:

source.gif

Ryan Gosling as the Driver from Drive. I know there's no shortage of strong silent types in this series but this character was so awesome in this movie and I'd love to see what he could do on the team. He could be a getaway driver and rival to Dom that the bad guys hire, and then at the end of the movie, he switches sides and joins the Fast crew.

source.gif

Nicolas Cage as Memphis Raines from Gone in 60 Seconds. I feel like this move was The Fast & the Furious before there was a Fast & the Furious. Cage would fit in so well with this series because... well, he's Nicolas Cage and he's the only thing in Hollywood that's as bats*** crazy as this franchise has become.

hqdefault.jpg

Dwayne Johnson as the Driver/James Cullen from Faster. Luke Hobbs' wayward, long lost twin brother (not to be confused with his 24 other brothers we met in Hobbs & Shaw), is being pursued by police after getting revenge on the men who killed his brother (again, not any of Hobbs' other brothers that we've met, but the one who died in Faster). Hobbs makes it his mission to bring him in.

1811-2.jpg

Jason Statham as Frank Martin from The Transporter franchise. Deckard Shaw's long lost brother (no, not Luke Evans, the other one) shows up to school the team on weight restrictions for getaway driving after Dom and the team unsuccessfully attempt to transport a nuclear missile on top of a Toyota Supra. If the rights to using Frank are unavailable, then perhaps we could import Jason Statham from Crank, Jason Statham from The Italian Job, or Jason Statham from The Mechanic.
I would like at least most of this, if maybe not all depending.

I mean...people are OK with Once Upon A Time in Hollywood...

Also Marvolo, I see what you're getting at, but I don't see the point of creating a whole plot to bring Brian back with a CG-ified likeness of Paul Walker for anything other than a cameo, hey let's check on Brian kind of thing.

Oh ****. That's a killer right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"