Feige on The Incredible Hulk

If this movie is a huge success than I am sure that the future Hulk movies will be direct sequels to this or will they go down the James Bond route?
This type of movie would require a sequel unless everthing is tied up well and nothing is left unanswered. Alot of times characters are left unexplored/underdeveloped and may actually need character development. Going down the James Bond route isnt a problem if you are starting a new storyline with new characters w/o ties to a previous movie. It would be a continuation in a series and not a sequel, but if you are furthering a character from a previous movie it is a sequel for that purpose. Hope this helps.

I agree with Fiege that the casting has given me and many pause. I think Edward Norton is one of the most amazing actors of his generation.

With that said, Eric Bana is no slouch either. And he certainly knowsh ow to gain an audiencce's sympathy as he steals the show as the tragic Hector in the otherwise average (save for Peter O'Toole's few great scenes) Troy. He also turned an assassin into one of the most empathetic characters in film in the last few years in Munich.

So I disagree that Bana can't reach into audience's empathy. They're just trying to distance themselves from that movie. As for it being better, time will tell. I honestly agree that the storyline was disappointing and the editing annoying but the characters in the first Hulk, especially Bruce's relationship with his father, were very rich. This movie says "lots of smashing,"

but I hope it leans towards the depth of the first or the Spider-Man movies at least. i have a bad feeling this could be another Fantastic Four/X3 given the director and the rushed post-schedule (again 4 months for post is RIDICULOUS for a movie this size).

Time will tell though.

I agree with Fiege that the casting has given me and many pause. I think Edward Norton is one of the most amazing actors of his generation.

With that said, Eric Bana is no slouch either. And he certainly knowsh ow to gain an audiencce's sympathy as he steals the show as the tragic Hector in the otherwise average (save for Peter O'Toole's few great scenes) Troy. He also turned an assassin into one of the most empathetic characters in film in the last few years in Munich.

So I disagree that Bana can't reach into audience's empathy. They're just trying to distance themselves from that movie. As for it being better, time will tell. I honestly agree that the storyline was disappointing and the editing annoying but the characters in the first Hulk, especially Bruce's relationship with his father, were very rich. This movie says "lots of smashing,"

but I hope it leans towards the depth of the first or the Spider-Man movies at least. i have a bad feeling this could be another Fantastic Four/X3 given the director and the rushed post-schedule (again 4 months for post is RIDICULOUS for a movie this size).

Time will tell though.

Those are my thoughts on the situation exactly, Norton is an amazing actor, but Bana is awesome too, and i hope this new movie doesnt turn into a poor FF/X3 type summer smash movie instead of the richness and adult theme's of the first movie.

Time will tell though.

thank you, i've been saying this since they moved back the sooting date from May to june.

yeah but this thread is more interesting ;)

yeah but this thread is more interesting ;)
That and the fact that they have already started the f/x portion of the movie. The actual shooting doesnt start till later. You are looking at the difference of 2 months comparing both movies. The movie will not be rushed. Winston and Sims are way into the development of the Hulk and Abomination. Relax people and stop hitting the panic button.

Nothing really new here, but yet again it's being more and more visible what direction Marvel are going with this film

From Rotten Tomatoes here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=428897

More Bixby, Less Bana in Hulk 2
clear_dot.gif
clear_dot.gif
clear_dot.gif
Posted by Scott Weinberg on Thursday, Jun. 21, 2007, 07:57 AM
clear_dot.gif
clear_dot.gif
clear_dot.gif

Ftopel writes: "Marvel Studios is happy to be relaunching the "Hulk" franchise with all new actors and a new vision for the film. They're not even above slamming their own work, as Marvel president Kevin Feige addressed questions about how "The Incredible Hulk" will differ from Hulk.

"The Hulk will be different from the first one because this one will be good," said Feige. He quickly added, no offense. "Frankly we're joking about it but there are certain elements in the first one that I'm very proud of. There are other elements that I'm not and the cast of the first film was spectacular. It was a great cast. You couldn't ask for a better cast coming together than you did in that first movie. And Eric Bana was great and frankly they were all great."

That said, casting Edward Norton was a way to bring back a more classical approach to Bruce Banner than Eric Bana delivered. "In looking to sort of reboot and looking to start the franchise fresh and new, we wanted to start with a clean slate. And it wasn't frankly Eric Bana that I was looking at and saying that we needed to improve upon, it was Bill Bixby because Bill Bixby is really what I believe most of the fans and most of the audience look to when they think of Bruce Banner, when they think of that sort of classic Hulk storyline."

When Norton came to mind, Feige never dreamed he would land the actor. "I was thinking who is that today? Who can get that empathy across and who is just a great actor in any medium? And we started talking about someone like Ed Norton. It's your dream in movies like this when you go, 'Oh boy, it would be great to have somebody like this' and end up actually getting that person that you were basing everything on.""

I'm now 80% certain this film won't surpass ang lee's....

They obviously are making an anti-lee hulk film with very little characterisation and it's going to be mindless action.

you heard it here first folks

bruce banner's mind is probably one of the most complex within the whole marvel universe, you could spend a whole film on him alone without any hulk and the way he deals with emotions, actions, actions of the hulk, joe fixit etc...

which is incredible considering his alter ego is potentially a strong violent individual who again wants his own things and has his own desires...

lee is going to do infinitely more than anyone else would be delving into this world and trying to bring it across rather than just merely telling a story involving bruce banner.

The problem is the first one straddled too many areas and did not completely satisfy any one customer except for a few of us.

The drama was too deep for the popcorn crowd and the Hulk action made the movie not serious enough for the drama crowd.

They seem to have made a choice to go for the popcorn crowd which may at then end of the day attract more to the box office which is their ultimate goal.

My exact feeling as expressed here:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=11936287&postcount=38

If TIH delivers kick-ass action, with great story and characters, I definitely buy it and will proudly say, it surpasses Lee's version...
But at the moment, I doubt the visual style effectiveness of Louis Leterrier will overweight the Story-telling of Ang lee's...

I don't want Hulk Ultimate Destruction on screen, I like to play with it on my xbox and that's about it :oldrazz:

Well unless i have my dates wrong it starts shooting the same day IM goes into post and yet is released only one month after IM,that's X3/FF style cutting it fine.

First unit work is usually 5 months max, with a couple weeks later on for pickups. Iron man started in March and is ending in July so that's 4 months. Hulk will be wrapping principle in Nov. or Dec. I still say they've already been working on the cgi stuff which is what takes the most time. I won't worry until I'm given a bit more reason to. I don't think the shooting schedule for FF/X3 had anything to do with the quality of the films we got. I think that all fell to the directors and the studio. This movie has great actors. Elements left to worry me are: writing(story), directing, actual physical form of the Hulk (how faithful a version we will get), and cgi (if that version will look "real" or cartoony). The first 2 we won't likely know until the movie comes out (well, we'll probably know most of the story well before that!), but the latter 2 we'll hopefully know by Christmas. Fingers crossed!

The problem is the first one straddled too many areas and did not completely satisfy any one customer except for a few of us.

The drama was too deep for the popcorn crowd and the Hulk action made the movie not serious enough for the drama crowd.

They seem to have made a choice to go for the popcorn crowd which may at then end of the day attract more to the box office which is their ultimate goal.
the thing is that i thought the hulk action was very serious.

I will agree that it certainly appealed to the wrong audience and it isn't a blockbuster type film although it has blockbuster type characters in it.

unfortunately making money will always take priority over making and telling an outstanding story about an incredibly interesting character.

the thing is that i thought the hulk action was very serious.

I will agree that it certainly appealed to the wrong audience and it isn't a blockbuster type film although it has blockbuster type characters in it.

unfortunately making money will always take priority over making and telling an outstanding story about an incredibly interesting character.

Well the thing is for quite a few here in Europe seeing a guy turn into a green monster who can throw tanks put them in an apriori mindset that it was not for them and only a few perseverred to see beyond the prima facea aspect of it.

I think we are both pretty much in agreement. I just am hoping for the best.

I like everything Feige said. TIH will be to HULK what Batman Begins is to Batman. A reboot that's so far superior to what came before, it will define the character for a new generation. With this cast, this director, and this direction for the film I couldn't be more excited.

Actually, with talks of TIH being a "vague sequel," it will be less like Batman Begins and more like Superman Returns.

And if that doesn't damage your calm, then you have officially drank the Kool-Aid. :o

Actually, with talks of TIH being a "vague sequel," it will be less like Batman Begins and more like Superman Returns.

And if that doesn't damage your calm, then you have officially drank the Kool-Aid. :o

not a sequel, Feige himself said its a reboot

Sequel, reboot, it's not much of a problem

it's more the quality we get, and the direction the movie goes towards....

lee is going to do infinitely more than anyone else would be delving into this world and trying to bring it across rather than just merely telling a story involving bruce banner.

Something he had a real hard time doing in Hulk. :woot:

I'm now 80% certain this film won't surpass ang lee's....

They obviously are making an anti-lee hulk film with very little characterisation and it's going to be mindless action.

you heard it here first folks

That's not what Louis Letterier wants to do.

Je vois vraiment le personnage comme une âme torturée, obligée de subir ses superpouvoirs et de fuir par peur des autres. Si je devais citer des références, ce serait surtout Dr Jeckyl et Mister Hyde, Frankenstein ou même Edward aux mains d'argent…

I really see the character as a tortured soul, forced to undergo his superpowers and to run by fear of the others. If I had to choose examples in the same case, it will be mainly Dr Jeckyl and Mister Hide, Frankenstein or Edward Scissorhands.

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?16130

That's not what Louis Letterier wants to do.

I really see the character as a tortured soul, forced to undergo his superpowers and to run by fear of the others. If I had to choose examples in the same case, it will be mainly Dr Jeckyl and Mister Hide, Frankenstein or Edward Scissorhands.

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?16130
View Poll Results: Will this be a better movie than Ang Lee's The Hulk? Yes
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
5280.00%No
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
1320.00%
Other people feel the same regarding better and different.

I wonder when we can expect the trailer?

Just because it's not like Ang Lee's movie doesn't mean it's going to be a mind-numbingly ******ed movie. There is such a thing as a movie that is both smart and fun. Ang Lee's movie was neither.

A smart movie knows how to keep the audience in suspense and interested in the story. A smart movie is relatable to most of the fans and audience rather than pointlessly enigmatic and unaccessible. The movie was an unfocused and badly paced mess with no engaging characters or dialogue. Ang Lee was basically saying "look, I'm elevating the source material by making it ponderous and weird" when he only partially understood the appeal of the characters and mythos.

I think TIH will be the opposite.

I don't think it was unfocused at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"