Female Led Spin-off in the works

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by Speed Force, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Dr. Unknown Toronto member

An adult Mia Smoak means that the action takes place in the future (the one we've seen in the flashforwards), yes?

2. famicommander Registered

I called it.
    Could be the same format as Arrow where some of the action is set in the present and some in the future.

That way they could still sometimes bring in other Arrowverse characters to interact with the Canaries in the present.

3. raisethe3 Legion of Boom

Birds of Prey?

4. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Not necessarily. We don't fully know the fallout of Crisis yet. I hope not because their old age make up is... not good.

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  5. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Fair point.

6. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Honestly, I haven’t got that much interest in Batwoman, but a Mia Smoak spin-off? I have even less interest in this. It’s almost a half assed attempt at a birds of prey spinoff because Katherine has a cult following from her Shadowhunter days.

Alike Batwoman, I’ll give this a chance, but I don’t see myself sticking with it.

7. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

This would be interesting to watch with Mia, Dinah Laurel and Dinah Drake. I wonder if Connor Hawke and William are in this.

8. Deltron3030 Registered

No interest whatsoever. Now if the did a white canary spinoff, and rehashed some LoA stuff and followed just her, whether in the future or whatever, I would be all for it. I have no interest in any of the other female characters. Mia is on par with felicity for cringeworthy and uninteresting. Really a toss up there.

9. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Hope this comes to fruition! We've with Laurel for 4 seasons now and there is still so much storyline to tell with her, same with Dinah. Though I never thought we'd get a show with those 2 together since I thought they'd choose 1 or the other since they are both Dinah and Black Canary.

Funny to have MG involved since he's never been the biggest Canary supporter.

Jedi Arrow and Guard82 like this.
  10. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

It's essentially the CW version of what Birds of Prey will be. Not quite sure how they're going to tie in all three characters, considering the age differences - I don't see them doing flash-forwards and flashbacks, because if one thing has been clear from those so far, they're not exactly cherished.

I do wonder, what with Laurel being from Earth-2, and Dinah from Earth-1 where this show is expected to take place, all assuming that Crisis doesn't merge Earth-1 & Earth-2, in which case they may share a new Earth (though I'd then beg the question of did Earth-1 Laurel really die)...

Ohh soo complex.

Three Seasons max, that's two more than I'm expecting out of Batwoman. At least with these characters, they've been established a little already so we have some background on them, and the characters are likeable (Mia remains to be seen really). Nothing I've seen on Batwoman has a likeability factor to it, and Ruby Rose, well, nah.

Maybe they'll do a double take; if this show is a success, and Batwoman is a fail, they'll move Ruby over to whatever they call this and factor her in as a team player? That would have more potential I think.

11. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I'd rather watch this than Batwoman. But what are they talking about a backdoor pilot? Hasn't that been the whole of last season? Now it should either be ordered straight to series or not.

Also, if set in the future that we saw all of last season, does that mean that Juliana Harkavy has to be in old-age make up the whole time? If they had flashbacks, then that would just be flashbacks to her time on Arrow, which we've already been following.

12. Dr. Unknown Toronto member

@Sithborg offered an interesting theory. Perhaps Crisis will do wacky things to reality/the timeline such that Mia and (young versions of) Laurel and Dinah all (somehow) end up together and embark on superhero adventures. IOW, maybe those flashforwards we’ve seen get erased and ignored.

Also, wasn’t there news about the last couple of Arrow episodes airing after Crisis? Perhaps one of these will be the “backdoor pilot” - since it could then take into account the newly rewritten continuity (which, obviously, couldn’t happen before Crisis). :shrug:

Flash525 and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  13. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

There's no way that Mia is as cringe-worthy as Felicity. She never does the quivering voice or melodrama when trying to act seriously. And Katherine definitely doesn't have any of those awful bathroom segments that Emily puts out.

I guess that is a possibility. But aren't those flashforwards we've seen already meant to be set after Crisis and the result of that? That's why we don't see Oliver in them and we see Felicity disappearing in the future as she did at the end of last season.

14. Dr. Unknown Toronto member

Maybe... But being able to manipulate reality is the ultimate excuse for a do-over. :oldrazz:

I guess I’m in a small minority: I found the future/flashforward scenes to be modestly interesting - especially in comparison to much of the present day Ollie stuff or to the old flashbacks on Lian Yu and elsewhere (which had grown quite convoluted and tiresome). Perhaps this was because there were relatively few flashforwards (and, therefore, not enough time to get convoluted and tiresome :cwink:).

All that said, it doesn’t seem like there’s enough “substance” in those flashforwards to base an entire series on. So Crisis shenanigans could provide the necessary improvements/changes.

15. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

I would think those flashforwards to be erased from the timeline, similarly to any future we’ve seen from Barry’s perspective. No future we’ve yet witnessed has referenced or shown to have a collapsed multiverse.

Crisis will undoubtedly create an entirely new timeline, though some elements of what we’ve seen will no doubt have taken place. What I’m most intrigued about is how this’ll effect the Legends; if the multiverse collapses then time itself (history and the future) will be rewritten.

The writers have certainly got their work cut out for them this time. Let’s hope they can pull something miraculous off.

Regarding Mia and the two canaries too (Dinah & Laurel); there’s no reason some of them couldn’t hitch a ride on the waverider to a location in time where they’re all together, and all young..

16. Guard82 Registered

I'm actually excited about this idea because I think that there's a lot of potential for a cool series in exploring these characters in even more depth, especially Laurel. Hopefully they can make a fun and engaging show out of this. Honestly, I think that the three actresses have earned this opportunity, and I think they deserve a chance to have a go at this, because of all the hard work they've done in their contributions to Arrow. I'll certainly give it a try and tune in.

17. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

So will this actually be called Green Arrow and the Canaries? If so, why is Green Arrow more acceptable as a title now than when Arrow first started? Arrow could've been called Green Arrow all that time.

I'd rather they didn't have such a long title.

18. WhoMani Registered

The main reason why Arrow was never called Green Arrow is the showrunners wanted a gritty, grounded and realistic superhero show which was inspired by the TDK trilogy. I guess they thought "Green Arrow" sounded lame.

But Green Arrow and the Canaries sounds weird. The title makes it seem like Mia will be the main star of the show and that the Canaries will be the supporting characters.

19. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Isn't that the premise of the show though?

And do they not want a gritty, grounded show now? Or are they taking it in a different direction?

20. WhoMani Registered

I have no idea. I'm going to assume that after the fallout from Crisis, Mia will find herself in the present day and that she will work with both of the Canaries. We should know by the end of this season on what kind of show it will be since we're getting a backdoor pilot later this season.

21. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Sham they can't just use Birds of Prey or simply, Canaries. The fact that Mia is going to continue the Arrow theme kinda' shoots the Arrow show in the foot. I couldn't care for Legacy shows. It's one thing to do a spin-off (like the Flash), but to follow the theme of a character that they're bringing to an emotional close. Why? Especially when there's so many other options out there.

Alike Batwoman, I doubt I'll be rushing to see this one.

22. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Because Green Arrow was practically a nobody in the entertainment world and they wanted it to be very serious with no plans to go towards Green Arrow. We are now within a full-fledged comic universe with GA being very established. It was just like when they changed DLL to LL because "Dinah isnt a hip name" (paraphrasing) cut to 5 years later they bring in a Dinah Drake.

If they are smart they will have this show be the very middle between Flash/Arrow. Dark and dramatic but with meta humans showing up instead of them continuing to be stuck in Central City.

23. Dr. Unknown Toronto member

Yeah… In terms of overall balance, it could be argued that Batwoman fills the spot of “realistic”/mortal superhero that’ll soon be vacated by Arrow. But if that’s the case, what gives with another version of Green Arrow? And with (not one but) two Canary co-stars, this feels like been-there, done-that. And as you say, there seem to be other options. For instance, weren't there rumors about a Blue Beetle series? Not my particular interest. But I could understand going for something new/different.

Dark Raven and Flash525 like this.
  24. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

It almost sounds like this new spin-off is going to be like Rosanne without Rosanne.