Days of Future Past First Class and how it changes certain perceptions of lines/scenes from the Trilogy?

LostSon88

Superhero
Reaction score
Since watching First Class, i've since gone back and rewatched the original trilogy...something pretty easy to do when they've been playing on tv all week.

Given the events of First Class, are there any scenes and/or dialogue that you view in a different light?

The first one that came to mind while watching X1 was the line in the Blackbird when Logan's complaining about the suits and Cyclops goes:

"What would you prefer? Yellow Spandex?"

Now, I can no longer take that line as a jab at Wolverines comic book suit moreso than I do as Cyclops taking a jab at the original suits from First Class.

I also find Beast's portrayal and his questioning of the cure much more interesting given his struggles as a young man in FC.

In X2, Nightcrawlers dialogue with Mystique and him questioning why she doesn't simply hide and fit in with everyone else is another one that sticks out given this was the very question she was struggling with in FC.

...thats just a few for now. Thoughts?

It could work as Cyclops making fun of his brother.

If they had made this movie first, they could have tied the third movie's cure plot more with Beast.

Cyclops mocking the suits is kind of appropriate because Havok was the one that said "Do we seriously have to wear these?" Dislike of yellow spandex must run in the family.

There's very little about First Class that doesn't change many of the perceptions from the trilogy, especially the relationships between Xavier, Hank, Erik, and Mystique...

Havok isn't Cyclops' brother, although we do know that they are/will be related in some way, particularly if FC does in fact remain at least marginally connected to the previous films despite Vaughn operating with the mindset of FC being a reboot, but the motif of the Summers' men taking potshots at or making comments about costuming is one that will work regardless of what the relationship between Alex and Scott ends up being.

The one that's amusing is Xavier's line when he tries to pick up chicks in the film.

Some of the dialogue is from the opening voice over from the first film.

I just thought of it yesterday but after seeing First Class, it changes the dynamic of the scene in X3 where Beast is witnessing Mysitique in capture and being interrogated.

God. I'm sitting here watching the first X-Men film now and the final scene between Xavier and Moira is in my head as the Xavier montage with Wolverine plays. It fits so damn perfectly...

....honestly, you just don't need a sequel to First Class once you watch these two films back to back.

Seeing Wolverine walking with Xavier and think about the cameo in First Class...awesome.

Honestly, the X-Men trilogy is now complete for me. X-Men First Class, X-Men, and X2. Hell, the titles even work great together you think about Moira using the term "X-Men" at the end of the film. I absolutely think it's cool as hell that the next film (as of right now) is called...just X-Men.

Singer's trilogy that he started all those years ago is finished...if they never make another film.

changes my perspective on Fox, that they finally saw X3 and Wolverine for the piles of monkey crap they are.

I do think the line spoken by Magneto while holding the bullets "I don't think I can stop them all Charles" now has some erie backing to it. Almost like he is mocking Xavier.

Last edited:
Or the scene in X2 in the second Cerebro, when Magneto tells Charles "From here it looks like they're not playing by your rules. Well maybe they'll play by mine." Fits in so perfectly with the same conversations they were having in FC.

There's very little about First Class that doesn't change many of the perceptions from the trilogy, especially the relationships between Xavier, Hank, Erik, and Mystique...

As a fan of the books, Magneto's relationship to Charles and the X-Men is always all over the place. One minute he's trying to kill them, the next he's actually teaching at the school. After years of Magneto being the "enemy" Charles actually turned the school over to him when he thought he was dying. Also, Charles has had and then lost the use of his legs a few times over the years.

Nothing here is really out of continuity in the film universe if you have a comic background. Erik can still help Charles build Cerebro at the mansion and maybe even try it his way and recruit kids until their next falling out. You know Erik will feel guilty over what happened to Charles at the end of the film.

danoyse,

Yeah, that line is a killer now.

Honestly, I don't want a sequel to First Class now. Almost everything fits perfectly. I don't want a sequel to screw up too much of anything right now. We've had that with the Last Stand and Origins Wolverine.

Vaughn got us right on track. No more.

After Mystique loses her powers in X3 and looks human Magneto walks away saying something along the lines of ''what a shame, she was so beautiful'' similar to how he reacted to her in First Class.

Also when he asked to see her real form it reminded me of when he asked John for his ''real'' name in X2.

It changed how I view Mystique...and that I wish they would ignore the trilogy and start over, starting from First Class :)

danoyse,

Yeah, that line is a killer now.

Honestly, I don't want a sequel to First Class now. Almost everything fits perfectly. I don't want a sequel to screw up too much of anything right now. We've had that with the Last Stand and Origins Wolverine.

Vaughn got us right on track. No more.

Same here. I feel the story is complete if we never get another X-Men film.

As far as what's changed, everything that everyone has mentioned, but to add another:

In X-Men 3 when Xavier is explaining how he put the blocks in Jean's head so she could control her powers. Its given more weight now due to xavier's arc in First Class of encouraging Mystique to hide her true form. It truly is the complete opposite of Magneto who wants mutants to revel in their true nature.

Also adds more weight to Magneto's line "just like old times, eh" when they both arrive to take Jean. Its now painfully obvious their views on mutant "control" have been a major part of their relationship.

Or the scene in X2 in the second Cerebro, when Magneto tells Charles "From here it looks like they're not playing by your rules. Well maybe they'll play by mine." Fits in so perfectly with the same conversations they were having in FC.
Yeah, that's not the line. :p

I did just recently re-watch, x1 x2 back to back (after I saw first class)

and though, there were some obvious Inconsistency(especially in dialogue)

I'd say overall that it actually enhanced my viewing experience, of them

Last edited:
It makes the character's motivations deeper. However, the action and story of First Class just seems to fast for the first 2 films. Sorry, but X1 and X2 are boring, and are pretty much the reason why X3 gets played so much on tv. Yeah, X3 lacks the story of X2, but it is more entertaining IMHO.

Overall, I really don't want to watch the other X-movies with FC in the back of my mind. It's all a mess.

For one thing, it feels totally wrong that Xavier and Mystique had this lifelong relationship but we never see them speak again. It's not a contradiction...It just feels really odd that that relationship is never addressed again. Same with Beast and Mystique.

Erik also apparently did not help Xavier build Cerebro after all. Unless Xavier just meant he helped him build the mansion version....but why would Erik do that after their friendship fell apart? Maybe this could be explained in a FC sequel. But for now, this is a big missing piece.

"Wolverine" sucked so I guess this doesn't bother me...but we see Patrick Stewart walking at the end....which directly contradicts the end of FC.

I hate how I can't decide what FC is. Reboot? Prequel? ... Requel?

Last edited:
It makes the character's motivations deeper. However, the action and story of First Class just seems to fast for the first 2 films. Sorry, but X1 and X2 are boring, and are pretty much the reason why X3 gets played so much on tv. Yeah, X3 lacks the story of X2, but it is more entertaining IMHO.

You find X2 boring ?

- Nightcrawler intro
- attack of the school with Wolverine badassery
- Mystique infiltration / spy jobs
- Magneto escape
- the plot was fine ( for me at least )
- the dialogue were fine ( for me )

As far as I'm concerned it's my favorit with First Class

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"