Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones' started by Thread Manager, Aug 7, 2017.

1. jolldan Registered

2. Reek _____

3. Marvolo Registered

Finding out that D&D didnt win the writing and directing emmies...

[​IMG]

Lencho01 and CaptainWagner like this.
  4. Dr. From parts unknown

Keep in mind… “dialogue” is the only part of the screenplay that’s precisely translated to the final film. The “action” (text) is just description, to be interpreted by the director. And this can be done in various styles. Sometimes, it’s so barebones that complete, grammatical sentences are scarce; sometimes it’s more literary; and sometimes it’s jokey. There’s an argument to be made that style (in this sense) embellishes the writer’s intent - and will, therefore, inspire producers, directors and financers to visualize the story in the same way.

But if you’re a writer trying to sell your first screenplay, it’s probably best to go with standard, minimalist “action” descriptions - and refrain from the smart-alecky in-jokes that the seasoned pros might use.

Of course, an existing TV show is already sold. So its teleplays can afford to be more idiosyncratic - as long as the gist of the “action” is clear to everyone in the production.

5. TheVileOne Registered

Nope. I've read plenty of amateur and un-produced scripts that use the same type of wording.

#4055 TheVileOne, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. Dr. From parts unknown

Sorry; I don’t follow what your “nope” refers to.

7. TheVileOne Registered

That it's normally experienced veterans and pros who write scripts this way.

8. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

9. TheVileOne Registered

I mean he hasn't even written the books yet...

10. Marvolo Registered

11. TheVileOne Registered

What a twist.

12. Reek _____

oh bessieee....

72563384_2466699070083064_2872010043463565312_n.jpg

13. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Plenty of stuff in this thread...

#4063 Lencho01, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    THORin likes this.
  14. Marvolo Registered

In a recent interview Martin discusses some of the reasons why WOW has taken so long.

https://www.inverse.com/amp/article...elease-date-update-george-rr-martin-interview

The attention span of George RR Martin:

[​IMG]

15. harlequinade DayGirl

That gif is adorable lol

THORin likes this.
  16. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Had Martin said F&B was the basis for some stuff in WoW, I would have said fair enough. But to say F&B took priority because of these "successor shows"....I'm actually taken aback how brazen an admission that is. Amazing.

TheVileOne likes this.
  17. Marvolo Registered

I just dont think he gives a **** anymore. Hes rich, successful, and knows the readers will race to buy WOW whenever he releases it. In the meantime he can do whatever he wants.

Plus I think he either has a FOMO mindset which compels him to do everything he wants to do right when he wants to do it, or he's more than a little in denial about his own mortality. Looking at him and considering his age he's probably got 10 years left if he's very lucky. He gets angry when fans ask if he will finish before he dies and if someone else can finish the books, but at this point it's more than a valid question. It's his own damn fault that those questions need to be asked and considered.

P Supreme and TheVileOne like this.
  18. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

He still insists he’s not writing any scripts for House of the Dragon until TWOW is done, despite very much wanting to. He also really wants to do more Dunk and Egg stories, but again, had to put them on the back burner.

It’s easy to say he doesn’t give a ****, but I think that’s really ignoring how much he’s being stifled creatively by being stuck on this one book for so long.

BatmanBeyond likes this.
  19. Marvolo Registered

He probably is working on Fire and Blood volume 2 and multiple other projects. He can't seem to help himself.

And it's hard to have any sympathy for him when he deliberately makes an already difficult project even more difficult. He wont write on the road, and he wont write on anything but one ancient machine. Then he travels many times every year ensuring he cant write. Takes on various projects which further dice up his already limited writing time. He's done this to himself. And I know he'll do it all over again with ADOS.

TheVileOne likes this.
  20. Reek _____

You're right... we should just lock him in a cage with his 1992 computer and never let him live life... chain him up... make him our little Nelly.

[​IMG]

BatmanBeyond likes this.
  21. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

He’s not writing Fire and Blood part 2 for the same reason he’s not writing more Dunk and Egg...they cover the same part of history. Everything with the Blackfyres is being held off until after TWOW, so that complaint doesn’t really fly. Plus, he cancelled and cut back on most of his appearances for the last 18 months, with most of the current stuff being promotional obligations based on either his work on the show or his work on Fire and Blood, which honestly sounds like it was something he threw together to appease HBO so they wouldn’t touch further ASOIAF content.
    If he’s incapable of writing on the road, well I’m not going to be a **** and say that he’s terrible because his creative process doesn’t allow for him to really work that way. He also does in fact use a computer these days.

He’s put most of his writing career on hold for this book, and really, given what we know it doesn’t seem that his problems are for lack of writing, but rather because of rewrites and editing given how sprawling the novel is. Also bare in mind that he’s said that he expects the book to be out before July 2020.

BatmanBeyond and CaptainWagner like this.
  22. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

He's made it very clear that he's not writing FB2 or any more Dunk and Egg stories until TWOW is out. Part priority, Part high odds that the Blackfyre content is key to major reveals in Winds that can't be spoiled until that book is released.

And if he doesn't have the finished book in hand at the Hugo Awards in July, I fully expect New Zealand to hold him to his word and arrest him :o

23. Marvolo Registered

He would still find ways to procrastinate.

24. Reek _____

probably by smasttthing da beeethhles

25. Marvolo Registered

Jason Momoa protected Emilia Clarke during gratuitous sex scenes: "He was like, 'No, sweetie, this isn't okay'"