Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

69959431_2494286457291018_3762523606223945728_n.jpg

Have yall seen the script for the finale that was submitted to the emmy's? It's worse than the actual episode.

Keep in mind… “dialogue” is the only part of the screenplay that’s precisely translated to the final film. The “action” (text) is just description, to be interpreted by the director. And this can be done in various styles. Sometimes, it’s so barebones that complete, grammatical sentences are scarce; sometimes it’s more literary; and sometimes it’s jokey. There’s an argument to be made that style (in this sense) embellishes the writer’s intent - and will, therefore, inspire producers, directors and financers to visualize the story in the same way.

But if you’re a writer trying to sell your first screenplay, it’s probably best to go with standard, minimalist “action” descriptions - and refrain from the smart-alecky in-jokes that the seasoned pros might use.

Of course, an existing TV show is already sold. So its teleplays can afford to be more idiosyncratic - as long as the gist of the “action” is clear to everyone in the production.

Keep in mind… “dialogue” is the only part of the screenplay that’s precisely translated to the final film. The “action” (text) is just description, to be interpreted by the director. And this can be done in various styles. Sometimes, it’s so barebones that complete, grammatical sentences are scarce; sometimes it’s more literary; and sometimes it’s jokey. There’s an argument to be made that style (in this sense) embellishes the writer’s intent - and will, therefore, inspire producers, directors and financers to visualize the story in the same way.

But if you’re a writer trying to sell your first screenplay, it’s probably best to go with standard, minimalist “action” descriptions - and refrain from the smart-alecky in-jokes that the seasoned pros might use.

Of course, an existing TV show is already sold. So its teleplays can afford to be more idiosyncratic - as long as the gist of the “action” is clear to everyone in the production.

Nope. I've read plenty of amateur and un-produced scripts that use the same type of wording.

Last edited:
Plenty of stuff in this thread...

Last edited:
In a recent interview Martin discusses some of the reasons why WOW has taken so long.

Martin addresses a number of small factors that have played into Winds’ frequent delays. One of which relates very directly to his responsibilities as a writer for Game of Thrones as he addresses the fact that while he may have only written one episode per season, each of those episodes took roughly a month to write. That’s a full month out of (roughly) each calendar year in which Martin worked on little else.

There’s also the recent publication of Fire & Blood, the book detailing the history of the Targaryen family in Westeros. Published earlier this year, it’s a massive tome that clearly took up a great deal of his writing time. Martin seems to address any queries as to why he took the time to write this when Winds of Winter has been so long delayed and the answer seems to come down to television.

“…it includes material in it that is going to be the basis of some of these successor shows, so maybe we should get it out first before the shows, and they agreed, so they said, ‘Yeah, finish that one and then go back to Winds of Winter.’” he notes.

https://www.inverse.com/amp/article...elease-date-update-george-rr-martin-interview

The attention span of George RR Martin:

60c837fa1567ce6d54745b8ca5f83615.gif

Had Martin said F&B was the basis for some stuff in WoW, I would have said fair enough. But to say F&B took priority because of these "successor shows"....I'm actually taken aback how brazen an admission that is. Amazing.

I just dont think he gives a **** anymore. Hes rich, successful, and knows the readers will race to buy WOW whenever he releases it. In the meantime he can do whatever he wants.

Plus I think he either has a FOMO mindset which compels him to do everything he wants to do right when he wants to do it, or he's more than a little in denial about his own mortality. Looking at him and considering his age he's probably got 10 years left if he's very lucky. He gets angry when fans ask if he will finish before he dies and if someone else can finish the books, but at this point it's more than a valid question. It's his own damn fault that those questions need to be asked and considered.

He still insists he’s not writing any scripts for House of the Dragon until TWOW is done, despite very much wanting to. He also really wants to do more Dunk and Egg stories, but again, had to put them on the back burner.

It’s easy to say he doesn’t give a ****, but I think that’s really ignoring how much he’s being stifled creatively by being stuck on this one book for so long.

He still insists he’s not writing any scripts for House of the Dragon until TWOW is done, despite very much wanting to. He also really wants to do more Dunk and Egg stories, but again, had to put them on the back burner.

It’s easy to say he doesn’t give a ****, but I think that’s really ignoring how much he’s being stifled creatively by being stuck on this one book for so long.

He probably is working on Fire and Blood volume 2 and multiple other projects. He can't seem to help himself.

And it's hard to have any sympathy for him when he deliberately makes an already difficult project even more difficult. He wont write on the road, and he wont write on anything but one ancient machine. Then he travels many times every year ensuring he cant write. Takes on various projects which further dice up his already limited writing time. He's done this to himself. And I know he'll do it all over again with ADOS.

You're right... we should just lock him in a cage with his 1992 computer and never let him live life... chain him up... make him our little Nelly.

xKSqRPt.jpg

He probably is working on Fire and Blood volume 2 and multiple other projects. He can't seem to help himself.

And it's hard to have any sympathy for him when he deliberately makes an already difficult project even more difficult. He wont write on the road, and he wont write on anything but one ancient machine. Then he travels many times every year ensuring he cant write. Takes on various projects which further dice up his already limited writing time. He's done this to himself. And I know he'll do it all over again with ADOS.

He’s not writing Fire and Blood part 2 for the same reason he’s not writing more Dunk and Egg...they cover the same part of history. Everything with the Blackfyres is being held off until after TWOW, so that complaint doesn’t really fly. Plus, he cancelled and cut back on most of his appearances for the last 18 months, with most of the current stuff being promotional obligations based on either his work on the show or his work on Fire and Blood, which honestly sounds like it was something he threw together to appease HBO so they wouldn’t touch further ASOIAF content.
If he’s incapable of writing on the road, well I’m not going to be a **** and say that he’s terrible because his creative process doesn’t allow for him to really work that way. He also does in fact use a computer these days.

He’s put most of his writing career on hold for this book, and really, given what we know it doesn’t seem that his problems are for lack of writing, but rather because of rewrites and editing given how sprawling the novel is. Also bare in mind that he’s said that he expects the book to be out before July 2020.

He's made it very clear that he's not writing FB2 or any more Dunk and Egg stories until TWOW is out. Part priority, Part high odds that the Blackfyre content is key to major reveals in Winds that can't be spoiled until that book is released.

And if he doesn't have the finished book in hand at the Hugo Awards in July, I fully expect New Zealand to hold him to his word and arrest him :o

You're right... we should just lock him in a cage with his 1992 computer and never let him live life... chain him up... make him our little Nelly.

xKSqRPt.jpg

He would still find ways to procrastinate.

probably by smasttthing da beeethhles

Jason Momoa protected Emilia Clarke during gratuitous sex scenes: "He was like, 'No, sweetie, this isn't okay'"

Clarke was 23 when she first began working on the HBO series, "and I have no idea what I'm doing ... I'd been on a film set twice before then, and now I'm on a film set completely naked with all of these people," she said on Armchair Expert, recalling season 1 of the series. Her character's first sex scene is more like a rape; subsequent episodes showcase less unsettling, but still quite graphic, sex scenes with Khal Drogo, played by Jason Momoa.

While working on the more disturbing scenes, "he was crying more than I was!" Clarke said of Momoa. "He took care of me in an environment, I didn't know I need to be taken care of ... He was so kind and considerate and cared about me as a human being."

Clarke says Momoa set the standard for acceptable on-set behavior, advocating for her before she felt capable of standing up for herself. Between takes or after scenes would wrap, she remembers him repeatedly calling over to the crew, "Could we get her a f--king robe? Could we get her a goddamn robe? She's shivering!"

That first season "was definitely hard. Which is why the scenes, when I got to do them with Jason, were wonderful, because he was like, 'No, sweetie, this isn't okay.'"

Now a decade older, Clarke says she's learned how to push back against filmmakers who insist on nude scenes that go beyond what makes sense for a role. Some have attempted to sway her by saying, "'You don't want to disappoint your 'Game of Thrones' fans.' And I'm like, 'f--k you,'" Clarke said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"