Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

Am I the only one frustrated in the way they're handling distances this season?
It makes no f**** sense.

They're not bothering. Everything is taking places within 100m of everything else. They're all in the same place.

It makes no f**** sense.

lol yeah. Things are moving way too fast but it's almost the end so they don't have time to waste with filler in between

It bothers me because of the troubles nearly every character has had in the previous seasons when making long journeys. Tyrion (many times), Arya (again many times), Brienne, Catelyn, Dany, Bran to name a few. Now not a single character has any problem at all getting where they need to go. None.

It kinda bothers me, but It would have helped if they kept it at 10 episodes.

It bothers me because of the troubles nearly every character has had in the previous seasons when making long journeys. Tyrion (many times), Arya (again many times), Brienne, Catelyn, Dany, Bran to name a few. Now not a single character has any problem at all getting where they need to go. None.

I'm not condoning or ignoring the fact that the pacing has been ridiculous, but with that aside, I can hypothesize the reason of no troubles, most of the strong body able men have been rounded up by the major house that are left and are being trained for war, and most of the villages in between are settling down and getting ready to hibernate since winter is now finally hear.

It kinda bothers me, but It would have helped if they kept it at 10 episodes.

I haven't seen anything that has made obvious the reason for having less episodes this season yet.

I thought it was a budgetary issue.

Really? Bloody hell. Surely this show is popular enough by now to just go for it. **** money! ;) This show will pay dividends for decades.

The lightspeed traveling was most obvious in this most recent episode, but I'm not all that opposed to the faster paced episodes. It makes sense that it's charging towards the finale after six seasons of buildup, some of which was quite a slow burn (seasons 2 and 5 come to mind).

It feels a bit like an epic film which is coming towards the end building to the big climax but then you look at your watch and there's only 10 minutes left. Last season we had quite a few big episodes near the end. There's only 2 episodes left of this season and it doesn't feel like they can go totally balls to the wall just yet with some scenes we know that need to happen first. It's all been good but I'd have traded some of that slow burn in the earlier seasons on subplots that weren't that important for a bit more time at the business end so we could see important battles from earlier this season for a bit longer rather than just a couple of summary scenes.

how big is the budget for this season?

Last edited:
It makes no f**** sense.

Frankly I much prefer the pace of this season. Days and weeks are passing in single episodes and its great. It feels like the show is actually getting **** done at a good pace instead of taking its sweet time the way it did in the previous seasons.

Really? Bloody hell. Surely this show is popular enough by now to just go for it. **** money! ;) This show will pay dividends for decades.

it could be worse. the budget on The Walking Dead has always been far more low budget than its popularity would deem it to be. Some network execs are so stingy.

From what Ive heard, the reason they cut the episode count down was apparently practicality. Season 6's production was long and massive. Multiple units working qorld wide for nearly a year. It was reaching the limits of what was apparently reasonable and sane for the crew to pull off. Espically for a television show. They couldnt increase the scale and scope of ten episodes any further without the production schedule becoming unwieldly and too exhaustive. So it was either keep the 10 episode number and not increase the scale of any of the episodes beyond what we saw last season. Or cut the episode number down to 7 and do those 7 episodes in the same production time it took them to do 10 episodes of a previous season.

I think that speaks volumes to the scale of the work the crew is doing. They cut back to 7 episodes but didnt cut down the amount of work they were doing or afaik the budget of each episode. When this season is over we will have seen the full grown dragons more than in any other season, we will have seen one large true battle involving Drogon, a fight beyond the Wall involving the army of the dead, we will have seen the white walker army more than in any other season, we will have seen and spent more time in a number of unique and new locations (Casterly Rock, new areas of Dragon Stone, East watch, the Citadel, parts of the westeros grass lands etc)...its a scale and scope that exceeds previous seasons in a number of ways. If they had kept the season at 10 episodes some of this might have been cut simply because they didnt have the time to get it done in a year.

They could have kept it at 10 episodes and extended the production time by months and just bumped the season release back to 2018 but I doubt HBO or D&D really felt like doing that. So here we are with 7 episodes instead of 10.

Last edited:
It makes no f**** sense.
Lol, I am. Everyone now has magical teleportation powers. :p

how big is the budget for this season?

Reportedly it's approximately the same as Season 6 -- about $100 million, but obviously with a higher average per episode this season at $14M each to pay for big battles, dragons, the Army of the Dead etc. There's an increase in production time for all that too which delayed the season's start this year and next.

From what Ive heard, the reason they cut the episode count down was apparently practicality. Season 6's production was long and massive. Multiple units working qorld wide for nearly a year. It was reaching the limits of what was apparently reasonable and sane for the crew to pull off. Espically for a television show. They couldnt increase the scale and scope of ten episodes any further without the production schedule becoming unwieldly and too exhaustive. So it was either keep the 10 episode number and not increase the scale of any of the episodes beyond what we saw last season. Or cut the episode number down to 7 and do those 7 episodes in the same production time it took them to do 10 episodes of a previous season.

I think that speaks volumes to the scale of the work the crew is doing. They cut back to 7 episodes but didnt cut down the amount of work they were doing or afaik the budget of each episode. When this season is over we will have seen the full grown dragons more than in any other season, we will have seen one large true battle involving Drogon, a fight beyond the Wall involving the army of the dead, we will have seen the white walker army more than in any other season, we will have seen and spent more time in a number of unique and new locations (Casterly Rock, new areas of Dragon Stone, East watch, the Citadel, parts of the westeros grass lands etc)...its a scale and scope that exceeds previous seasons in a number of ways. If they had kept the season at 10 episodes some of this might have been cut simply because they didnt have the time to get it done in a year.

They could have kept it at 10 episodes and extended the production time by months and just bumped the season release back to 2018 but I doubt HBO or D&D really felt like doing that. So here we are with 7 episodes instead of 10.

Whatever works. Finish off with a bunch of films if they need the scale and budget. ;)

Why all the teleportation jokes? I've just assumed that days and weeks have been passing and we're just cutting to the end.

Aren't they debating to push back season 8 to early 2019 as well? If they are planning to do 6 almost feature length episodes, that's just insane. They're literally filming 6 movies in the span of a little over a year.

I'm curious though. How much is HBO making off of Game of Thrones?

Why all the teleportation jokes? I've just assumed that days and weeks have been passing

That is not what it looks like. There's absolutely no indication of time passing. Not a single dialogue, not a shot, nothing.
Davos went from King's Landing to The Wall in about 20 minutes of the show.
Are you telling me nothing happens during all those weeks of travelling?
I know they're rushing and there are behind the scenes stuff, but this season is being very lazy in some aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"