The Dark Knight Gary Oldman Joins Iron Man 2

Oldman just joined Iron Man's cast in order to explain TDK to RDJ. ;)

No its not, hehe. Its like being in love with a girl that has nothing to do with you, and getting mad when you see her with another guy.

Oldman played a Batman character, and now he'll be in another comic book movie. Who cares? Is it an insult to Dracula fans that he was in a Harry Potter film? No! Who cares?

No, that scenario would be like what happened with Blunt and IM2. People wanted her as the Widow but she committed, by force apparently, to another project.

Here Oldman was committed to Batman and made 2 films which were equivalent to mind blowing sex. He was in a long term relationship with Batman. To now catch him with IM is exactly like walking in on your girl pleasuring your best friend. I understand why the OP is upset.

Acting is what actors do.

Robert Englund should never play in another horror movie.

Sean Connory should never play as another agent, in another Agency.

Bruce Willis can not be a cop.

Christian Bale played an obsessed, sociopath already.

The analogy is crude, yet concise. Taking offense because an actor jumps the same genre is just as asinine.

Gary Oldman can be in whatever movie Gary Oldman wishes.

Because he's Gary Oldman.

Get over it.

I actually don't have any real problem with this, I just wanted to get people's reaction. My phrasing might have been a bit overzealous (bad idea to write a post in the middle of the night after a few drinks). I'm sure Oldman will be great in the movie, just find it a bit weird. We can all have opinions of casting choices can't we? And I happen to be passionate about film, especially Batman & Superhero genre films, I'm not dying over here though.

I actually don't have any real problem with this, I just wanted to get people's reaction. My phrasing might have been a bit overzealous (bad idea to write a post in the middle of the night after a few drinks). I'm sure Oldman will be great in the movie, just find it a bit weird. We can all have opinions of casting choices can't we? And I happen to be passionate about film, especially Batman & Superhero genre films, I'm not dying over here though.

Yes.

And in your defense, I get what your initial point was. A bit over the top? Perhaps. However, I, too, think and say the same when one hero/villain plays as/in another comic movie as a hero/villain.

Simply, it's the "typecast" idea, without truly being typecast. For example, when Hugh Jackman was being rumored as Superman, for the upcoming Superman movie - before Singer was attached, I believe - my friends and I called the movie "Superclaws," with several other derivations.

We weren't upset, per say. But we did share the same ideal of your initial post - "Wolverine as Superman - what. . they can't find another actor?"

Here Oldman was committed to Batman and made 2 films which were equivalent to mind blowing sex. He was in a long term relationship with Batman. To now catch him with IM is exactly like walking in on your girl pleasuring your best friend. I understand why the OP is upset.
That mindset is just flat-out pathetic.

That mindset is just flat-out pathetic.

Agreed.

I refer to my first post, in the thread:

Al Pacino CAN NOT play in another mob movie, or even think about playing another mob boss.

Wow, I missed this before...this is a little extreme. I thought my initial post was a little too much but jeez, calm down there dude, it's still just a movie.

Also another point, from a business stand point, I'm surprised they don't have non-competition clauses against this. I know they won't be directly competing against one another at the box office but still, same genre, DC's main rival. Perhaps it's since Batman 3 isn't fully greelite yet.

I'd be pretty surprised if this comes out to be true(which is why at this point I am a bit skeptical), that Favs would dip into the Batman pool of casting because of what he has said in the past:

Jon Favreau: A little bit. FANTASTIC FOUR did it in a different way. That was… that made us… we definitely want to do our own version of it. But a lot of our time is spent steering clear of DARK KNIGHT and that franchise. Tonally, casting wise, the way we present the action. Because there’s so many similarities at the core, and now that we were both very successful movies this summer it’s going to be… there’s always going to be the Coke and Pepsi argument going back and forth.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38906

I'd be pretty surprised if this comes out to be true(which is why at this point I am a bit skeptical), that Favs would dip into the Batman pool of casting because of what he has said in the past:

Jon Favreau: A little bit. FANTASTIC FOUR did it in a different way. That was… that made us… we definitely want to do our own version of it. But a lot of our time is spent steering clear of DARK KNIGHT and that franchise. Tonally, casting wise, the way we present the action. Because there’s so many similarities at the core, and now that we were both very successful movies this summer it’s going to be… there’s always going to be the Coke and Pepsi argument going back and forth.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38906

Still, unless I am mistaken, no studio has contracts that read "said actor may not take roles within the same genre."

Acting is acting - in the terms of acting as someone whom said persons are not.

Here's a leap, Oldman CAN NOT act in any movie, in which he would portray himself. :O

To be fair to Favreau, though, Oldman has shown himself to be quite the chameleon. That villain he played in the 5th Element couldn't be farther from his Commissioner Gordon role. So if he is in this movie, it will probably still be leagues away from TDK in terms of the tone of the character he'll be portraying.

To be fair to Favreau, though, Oldman has shown himself to be quite the chameleon. That villain he played in the 5th Element couldn't be farther from his Commissioner Gordon role. So if he is in this movie, it will probably still be leagues away from TDK in terms of the tone of the character he'll be portraying.

Further, does anyone think Oldman would read a script, notice that the role in indicaitve of Gordon, and aimlessly say "I'm IN!!"

He was spotted on set, big deal. This by no means he has a role in the movie. Remember when Halle Berry was on the set of Batman Begins and everyone thought she was reprising her awful take on Catwoman? Yea, so until there's confirmation, don't worry about it.

UPDATE: Gary Oldman in Iron Man 2?
Source:IESB
April 8, 2009

According to IESB, The Dark Knight star Gary Oldman was spotted on the set of Iron Man 2. Does that confirm he has a role in the movie? We don't know.

Jon Favreau started filming the sequel on Monday for a May 7, 2010 release. It stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Jon Favreau, Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Garry Shandling and John Slattery.

UPDATE: Gary Oldman's manager, Douglas Urbanski, posted the following in our comments:

"Mr. Oldman did not visit the set of Iron Man and there are currently no plans for him to appear in the film."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=8229

:facepalm @ this thread and it being in the Dark Knight forum

I like Gary Oldman. He's a great actor and I support any decision that gets him paid well.

This thread is hilarious! :hehe:

Imagine a TDK nod in IM2:
- Thank you Ironman!
- You dont have to thank me, but **** yeah i rock dont i?
- *whispers* This guy is a dick. I liked the other one better..

[BLACKOUT]This thread is now about hilarious nods to TDK by Oldman that we would like to see in IM2. [/BLACKOUT]

It does seem strange, but I'm OK with this. Would want to see what the outcome is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"