The Dark Knight Rises Gary Oldman - "We start shooting next year. You didn't hear that from me"

I'd like them to keep the same sorta continuity, but in a different style and tone. I don't want someone coming in and just copying Nolans style. They should bring their own style and method to the Bat universe. But retain the same sorta continuity.

I definitely don't want another restart or reboot or whatever.
I second this, but i'd like the continuity to be underlined with a lot of lines about previous events.
Also, yes maybe a director should do his own thing, but i think its time DC hired a group of people to oversee their movies and set some standards for the directors to follow. This is the case for the Marvel and Bond movies. Nolan is brilliant but sometimes i feel that he has too much freedom. He says he would never introduce Robin and i think its because he only knows him from the Adam West show and the Schumacher movies. If someone sat him down and explained some things to him, i bet that he wouldnt be that negative about it.

Anyway, I believe that the change of cast and director shouldnt change things too much. It should be like the comics continuity. They dont need to change a lot of things, maybe only make it more unrealistic and introduce some supernatural characters, that's all. I dont think that Nolan's world was so far fetched as Burton's or Schumacher's, so it doesnt need much of a change. If anything, Nolan's gotham and style of direction changed noticeably from BB to TDK so another small change wouldnt be bad or ill received, as long as its discreet.

I dont expect the new Spiderman movies to be much different from the first 3, even if the director and cast change. Their Spiderman is the mainstream comics one so they will most probably stick with him. That should be the case here as well, but because Gotham is a fictionary city, every director tends to do their own spin to it and its stories, and indeed Nolan has done his own spin to it all, so all it needs is a small customization so that it matches the mainstream comics batman more. And the reason this should be done is to give us a continuity that doesnt change with each director, which would allow the story to progress and new themes to be explored. I wouldnt be interested in random batman stories if there wasnt a bigger story or continuity.

And finally, it would realise my dream of a DC movieverse unification. That cannot happen unless each hero has a standard setting, which fits the wider DC universe. Maybe one day they will do it and we ll see them cross pollinate their movies, and maybe give us a Batman-Superman movie, a Flash-GL one, or a JL one, etc...

Hats off to Marvel for having the balls to attempt such an extraordinary task. They seem to be doing it with care, planning, and method. DC's methods can only be described as knee-jerk reactions.

Last edited:
every director tends to do their own spin to it and its stories, and indeed Nolan has done his own spin to it all, so all it needs is a small customization so that it matches the mainstream comics batman more. And the reason this should be done is to give us a continuity that doesnt change with each director, which would allow the story to progress and new themes to be explored. I wouldnt be interested in random batman stories if there wasnt a bigger story or continuity.

And finally, it would realise my dream of a DC movieverse unification. That cannot happen unless each hero has a standard setting, which fits the wider DC universe. Maybe one day they will do it and we ll see them cross pollinate their movies, and maybe give us a Batman-Superman movie, a Flash-GL one, or a JL one, etc...

You have to wonder about Marvel's strategy. It seems cool, but how's it going to work? They have that many films coming out because they're trying to bridge them all together and it's going to end up having the effect that you need to see all of them to follow the story. They've had, what...two of their own movies come out? It's going to end up waaayy too complicated. Like rumours I read of the Captain America film including Howard Stark as a fairly large character...why?! This business of having Nick Fury in all of these movies...are they going to have any interest when they go to release his solo film?

I'd wait to see how this plays out before praising it and wanting DC/WB to use the same idea. Sometimes things just aren't supposed to mix and when you bring all of DC's character's together, you have to wonder why most of them are even useful. Many of them serve the same function, and almost all of them make characters like Batman and the Green Arrow completely irrelevant.

He says he would never introduce Robin and i think its because he only knows him from the Adam West show and the Schumacher movies. If someone sat him down and explained some things to him, i bet that he wouldnt be that negative about it.

Nolan's movies are based heavily on Leob's/Sale's graphic novels. Dark Victory is widely described as being one of the best Dick Grayson stories out there. The problem with Robin is that most people assume he's not being included because he isn't 'realistic'. That's not it at all. The problem is, he's just a massive, gaping hole in any sort of logical world. Why on Earth would Batmna allow a teenager to go out and risk his life every single night? Why would Bruce want to burden someone else with the bad life he's had? Why would Bruce be that irresponsible?

No one has ever answered these questions properly.

Last edited:
as or robin, i think "a lonely plac ofdying" tries to answer these questions and is very interesting. But i agree with you, there are no answer which really satisfies me.

Batman is fine without robin. Like he said in TDK..."I don't need any help" and I am pretty sure Bale said NO robin before

really? no robin ever? Eventually I'd kind of like to see how Nolan's Bale-bat would work with a side kick

Well, we know how Bale responded to a erroneous DP. One can only assume how he'd treat Robin if he screwed up... :oldrazz:

You'd rather see Green Hornet than a Kenneth Branagh directed Thor movie?!?! Madness.

I don't care if Thor isn't that popular, I think it's gonna be a great quality movie. And I think Loki has the potential to me one of the best cinematic villains ever.

The fact that Kenneth Branagh is directing means we're going to get something that is, dare I say it, Shakespeareanly epic. A Thor movie has several built in fans already. There's the Branagh fans, the comic book movie fans, the fans of Thor comics and fans of epic/historical/fantasy movies.

I'll be honest, I've never read a single Thor comic, but they are definitely on my list...and I'll be there when the movie opens. Maybe not opening day, but definitely opening weekend.

And regarding Robin, to bring this post back to Batman, I don't want to see him in full costume for at least 2.5 films. Introduce Dick Grayson in the second film after Nolan and then have him be Robin by the one after that. Like this:

Nolan's Batman 3: No Robin
New Director's Batman (4): No Robin
New Director's Batman (5): Introduce Dick Grayson somewhat in the middle.
New Director's Batman (6): Introduce Robin and him avenging his parents. Nice little arc if you ask me. :up:

I have to check out the book again, but they go really deep as to why Bruce would let a kid dress up and fight criminals in the book "Batman and Philosophy"

Check it out if you get the chance.

Nolan's Batman 3: No Robin
New Director's Batman (4): No Robin
New Director's Batman (5): Introduce Dick Grayson somewhat in the middle.
New Director's Batman (6): Introduce Robin and him avenging his parents. Nice little arc if you ask me. :up:

but then we wont have bale :down

I have to check out the book again, but they go really deep as to why Bruce would let a kid dress up and fight criminals in the book "Batman and Philosophy"

Check it out if you get the chance.

I own that book but haven't read it in a while but from what I remember it's a superb read. :up:

but then we wont have bale :down

Yeah but that's gonna happen anyway some day. :csad:

I own that book but haven't read it in a while but from what I remember it's a superb read. :up:

Yeah but that's gonna happen anyway some day. :csad:

i know :csad::csad:

but i wouldnt mind if it's a different film series, some..3000 years down the road :woot: seriously though, if it's in the same film series, then no robin cause bale wont do it. i hate robin to begin with (though, i did like him pre B&R/1999). if it's a different film series, and we have another bale-like actor, who likes robin..well..maybe i'll open arms to robin again. but not this film series.

Eventually the realism will have to start to slip away. Slowly and gradually. I only say this because there are far too many Batvillains that deserve to be done on screen regardless of their plausibility.

I feel like when the realism is slacked, then Robin will come in to the picture.

^^^ yea but people only want the same two villain over and over and over :rolleyes:

Eventually the realism will have to start to slip away. Slowly and gradually. I only say this because there are far too many Batvillains that deserve to be done on screen regardless of their plausibility.

I feel like when the realism is slacked, then Robin will come in to the picture.

I agree. i would love to see KC or TGWS in a batman movie, but with the realism, i doubt that will ever see him in a (live-action) batman movie, as long as nolan's there. not that im saying that's 100% a bad thing...

^^^ yea but people only want the same two villain over and over and over :rolleyes:

i take it youre refering to people only wanting the joker, but to be fair the joker is his total NEMESIS, the ying to batmans yang, his opposite. he is to the batman universe as popular as darth vader to the star wars universe.

I agree. i would love to see KC or TGWS in a batman movie, but with the realism, i doubt that will ever see him in a (live-action) batman movie, as long as nolan's there. not that im saying that's 100% a bad thing...

It's totally not a bad thing! It's interesting to see the "realistic" interpretations of the villains. But to say that unless a villain can be made realistic is the only way to put him or her on film is a little arrogant. There's room for different interpretations and when Nolan is done I definitely think we'll get something different.

i take it youre refering to people only wanting the joker, but to be fair the joker is his total NEMESIS, the ying to batmans yang, his opposite. he is to the batman universe as popular as darth vader to the star wars universe.
Doesn't mean that we need to see him all the time. I feel the same way about people who make Superman movies thinking Lex Luthor is the only villain he has.

It's totally not a bad thing! It's interesting to see the "realistic" interpretations of the villains. But to say that unless a villain can be made realistic is the only way to put him or her on film is a little arrogant. There's room for different interpretations and when Nolan is done I definitely think we'll get something different.

100% hear what you are saying and agree. i mean, KC could have some deforimity, kinda like jigsaw from Punisher (havent seen it, just saw what he looked like). just because there's a realism factor doesent mean he cant be done. :brucebat:

100% hear what you are saying and agree. i mean, KC could have some deforimity, kinda like jigsaw from Punisher (havent seen it, just saw what he looked like). just because there's a realism factor doesent mean he cant be done. :brucebat:

But in the same breath, you have to say that just because the villains are unrealistic doesn't mean they can't be done. :brucebat:

I am really getting depressed about this "Summer 2012" thing. Just think how long away that is. We have this whole year to get to next summer when inception is released. We might get some Batman 3 news from Nolan by then. THEN we have to to wait ANOTHER year just for it to start shooting. THEN wait ANOTHER year for it to come out.

i say the only realistic villian is The Riddler, Deadshot, and Talia al Ghul

i say the only realistic villian is The Riddler, Deadshot, and Talia al Ghul

I feel the same, just exchange Talia for Catwoman.

And by realistic, I mean realistic possibilities.

But in the same breath, you have to say that just because the villains are unrealistic doesn't mean they can't be done. :brucebat:

agreed. i mean, i wouldnt be suprised if we saw laisurus pits in the next movie(s). just because it's not possible doesent mean we cannot see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"