The Last Jedi General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
sigh

Do we have to keep going over this. Poe ends up with Finn...

Not if Rose has her way with Finn.

Ew. That kiss was so cringe. Even Boyega looked like he wasn't expecting it. Watch him. After she kisses him and falls back, he moves his lips like he's kissing someone, like he initially forgot to kiss her and then remembered. :funny:

So I was just wondering about a few things:

So Rey was not fully trained as Jedi? Who will be her Jedi Master now? Can she train other Jedi? What about the "rule of two"?

Do the Knights of Ren have a "rule of two"?

I was just wondering if we will see a mass of Knights of Ren vs. new Jedi in the next movie battle each other.

Rey was about as well trained as Luke.

So Rey was not fully trained as Jedi? Who will be her Jedi Master now? Can she train other Jedi? What about the "rule of two"?

I was just wondering if we will see a mass of Knights of Ren vs. new Jedi in the next movie battle each other.

Rey has the books, as Yoda says, that's all she needs. Seeing how Rey wants to be "somebody" instead of "nobody", I bet she's reading through those tomes the first chance she gets.

As for the Knights of Ren, I heard or read somewhere that Abrams has a full on backstory for these guys, so no doubt we'll see them do their thing at some point in Ep IX. I just don't know if there will be any other Jedi there to battle against other than Rey.

What is the rule of two for Jedi? There are like 7 knights of Ren.

Rey has the books, as Yoda says, that's all she needs. Seeing how Rey wants to be "somebody" instead of "nobody", I bet she's reading through those tomes the first chance she gets.

As for the Knights of Ren, I heard or read somewhere that Abrams has a full on backstory for these guys, so no doubt we'll see them do their thing at some point in Ep IX. I just don't know if there will be any other Jedi there to battle against other than Rey.

So you think there will only be one Jedi i.e. Rey and we won't see new recruits like that kid with the broom?

Ew. That kiss was so cringe. Even Boyega looked like he wasn't expecting it. Watch him. After she kisses him and falls back, he moves his lips like he's kissing someone, like he initially forgot to kiss her and then remembered. :funny:
It wasn't cringe at all. But I get it's the cool word to use for anything now lol. Boyega was acting surprised as Finn of course. Clearly not having romantic feelings, but surprised to find she had them for him.

The Rule of Two, from Darth Bane, exists for very, very non-Jedi reasons.

The Rule of Two, from Darth Bane, exists for very, very non-Jedi reasons.

Oh yeah. I was thinking more about the master/apprentice relationship. Not necessarily restricting the number of Jedi. Just which Jedi can train another.

What is the rule of two for Jedi? There are like 7 knights of Ren.

I was thinking more whether the Knights of Ren have the master/apprentice thing going on. Not the strict rule of only two.

Just trying to clear it up in my head. Thanks guys.

Does the master/apprentice rule apply to Jedi? Or just Sith?
The rule of two is a Sith thing. Kylo is not a Sith. AotC has Yoda training a group of younglings, and eventually moving them onto individual masters. There is a Jedi Council of multiple Jedi who lead the order.

The rule of two is a Sith thing. Kylo is not a Sith. AotC has Yoda training a group of younglings, and eventually moving them onto individual masters. There is a Jedi Council of multiple Jedi who lead the order.

Just wondering if the Knights of Ren will continue to amass more recruits.

Hopefully the Knights of Ren have weapon designs as unique as the Praetorian Guards. Since Kylo was the only one among them that had a lightsaber.

So you think there will only be one Jedi i.e. Rey and we won't see new recruits like that kid with the broom?

Not right away. I believe the last scene of Ep IX might be Rey starting her own Jedi academy with the kid with the broom. But I don't think it will be the plot of the entire story.

Hopefully the Knights of Ren have weapon designs as unique as the Praetorian Guards. Since Kylo was the only one among them that had a lightsaber.

In the forceback scene in TFA they had very unique weapons. You can see their weapons here:

kF64Bxr7FhUUS5SqKtezZ.jpg

From left to right there is a blaster canon looking thing, a baton of sorts, a big final fantasy type sword, what appears to be a pole axe, and the last Knight on the right is holding what is probably a blaster. All of their melee weapons probably have some sort of plasma or electro or vibro component.

The Knights of Ren need to be in IX. Where they are and what they are doing in the middle of both TFA and TLJ could use some explanation.

Rey was about as well trained as Luke.

I've decided to chime in again here because this is something that I just down understand how anyone can see as being truthful. Luke had at the very least basic Jedi training by Obi-Wan over a few days and had three years between Episode 4 and 5 of self teaching as well as a few weeks on Dagobah with Yoda (the length of the last is up for debate but given the Falcon was having to drive slower to Bespin it's probably a fair estimate).

Rey has had less than a week of becoming force sensitive and one meditation session. Let be generous and say she got a crash course in training over those few days that we just didn't see, debatable given Luke's attitude but for the sake of argument lets go with it. I still don't see how it can be argued when you look at the timeline of events for both characters that Rey should be anywhere near the level of Luke at this stage. When you lay out each timeline it doesn't just fly in the face of Star War lore, it flies in the face of basic logic.

Eh...

Luke when we meet him was a good pilot and was a good shot. Ben Kenobi gave him a very, very brief tutelage in the ways of the Force... And that got him through the first adventure.

Rey was a pilot and we see that even before getting involed with the wider Galaxy that she had some kind of training in how to fight. Those aspects, just like with Luke's skills, seemed to be enhanced by the Force once it is "awakened" in her.

Luke had his time alone between ANH and TESB refining what little he knew. Then he trained with Yoda but that time in no way can compare to a true Padwan, as we know from Yoda's words and eventually the PT that Jedi are taken into the order incredibly young. He goes off, fights and loses against Vader, learns from that experience and then when he returns to Yoda finds out the old master is at death's door and gets no more training. And it is that Luke that redeems his father and defeats the plans of the last Sith.

Rey [BLACKOUT]has a more philosophical training from Luke on his island,
which kinda fits as like I said, she already knew how to fight with a weapon and without. Luke's lessons were more about perspective and self knowledge,
something reflective of the most important things he learned from Yoda.
Would I have liked more actual martial arts style training for Rey?
Yeah, I can't lie. But I agree... Rey and Luke are a bit comparable in how much both actually learned about being a "proper" Jedi... Which Yoda himself points out might not be quite as important as we all put stock in. [/BLACKOUT]

But that three years was enough time for him to search more about the Jedi and learn swordsman skills. It would never have been the best training possible, but it's at the very least believable and would put him at a bigger advantage than where she was. There's a gap in time where there's a plausible explanation. This is the thing that bugs me as well, a lightsaber is not a staff, it's not an easy weapon to use and neither Rey nor Finn were particularly comfortable with wielding it in TFA, and yet she seemed more than comfortable using it here. I just think a lot of leaps in logic are being used to explain the sudden elevation in skill level. There's got to be some rules within the universe that have to be followed, it can't all just be excused with 'The Force'.

TFA established that Rey already knew how to fight (and I really hope she builds a lightsaber to resemble her weapon of choice in Ep.IX, btw). She'd been training for that her whole life out of necessity. By comparison, Luke was a simple farm kid who would've gotten his ass kicked in that cantina if the Obi-Wan hadn't stepped in. Seemed like he hadn't thrown a punch in his life. Rey needed spiritual guidance/focus here, which she found, and may continue to receive from ghost!Luke, who knows. She had less training than Luke to be sure, but easily more raw power.

TFA established that Rey already knew how to fight (and I really hope she builds a lightsaber to resemble her weapon of choice in Ep.IX, btw). She'd been training for that her whole life out of necessity. By comparison, Luke was a simple farm kid who would've gotten his ass kicked in that cantina if the Obi-Wan hadn't stepped in. Seemed like he hadn't thrown a punch in his life. Rey needed spiritual guidance/focus here, which she found, and may continue to receive from ghost!Luke, who knows. She had less training than Luke to be sure, but easily more raw power.

Where are you getting this? She couldn't even use a blaster properly the first time she used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"