• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Last Jedi General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - - - - Part 14

Rian Johnson ruined this and as a result TROS. He clearly had no idea about StarWars and how things work in the universe.
This is so badly written. The characters have such a bad development: Rose, Finn, Luke, Poe
And Snoke and Hux act so cringey and awful.
TROS is bad to, but J.J. Abrams had to deal with what Johnson ruined here
The Last Jedi attempted to actually move the ball forward with Star Wars, even if not everything worked. TROS is the film Star Wars fans deserve. What's become increasingly clear to me as I get older is Star Wars fans like the idea of Star Wars more than Star Wars itself. They're chasing that feeling they felt as a kid, and they'll NEVER get it, no matter how good the product is. Again, TROS is a 2+ hour spoon fed version of everything Star Wars fans deserve. Cringey homages, blunt fan service, call backs, etc. That whole film is because of Star Wars fans.

The Last Jedi attempted to actually move the ball forward with Star Wars, even if not everything worked. TROS is the film Star Wars fans deserve. What's become increasingly clear to me as I get older is Star Wars fans like the idea of Star Wars more than Star Wars itself. They're chasing that feeling they felt as a kid, and they'll NEVER get it, no matter how good the product is. Again, TROS is a 2+ hour spoon fed version of everything Star Wars fans deserve. Cringey homages, blunt fan service, call backs, etc. That whole film is because of Star Wars fans.
What you're describing sounds more like The Force Awakens to me. The Rise of Skywalker felt like a knee-jerk reaction to the criticism of The Last Jedi that uses nostalgia as a distraction from the heavily flawed story that was hastily strung together to make a deadline.

I've softened to The Rise of Skywalker a bit since its release but I still consider it to be the worst of the Skywalker Saga. The acting performances and a few good moments make it worth watching but that's about all the good I can say about it. Even poor John Williams couldn't do much to help because even the score felt like it was put together in a rush. Yoda's theme music playing over the moment Chewie got the medal felt like it was temp music that never got scored because that's the only way I can make any sense of it.

“I was the one who really knew what Star Wars was … who actually knew this world, because there’s a lot to it. The Force, for example, nobody understood the Force,” he said. “When they started other ones after I sold the company, a lot of the ideas that were in [the original] sort of got lost. But that’s the way it is. You give it up, you give it up.”

It’s been awhile since I’ve watched the sequel trilogy, but can someone refresh how they got the Force wrong in Lucas’s view?

Generally curious what might have irked him about the way it’s portrayed differently than his 6 films.

With all due respect (and that is a lot) to George Lucas, he's a grumpy old man, who has always been deeply stubborn and loves to mythologize his own process. All of these films bolted on new lore whenever the plot demanded it.

It'd be funny if he was talking about Filoni's stuff. The World Between Worlds is pretty out there I suppose. Between new powers and dyads and whatnot, it could be any number of things really.

We fans can be our own worst enemies.
The TLJ backlash resulted in TROS, which made the least profit of all three and even less than Solo, which is considered a flop. And sending death threats to a director is a disgrace, no matter how mad you are at him.

With all due respect (and that is a lot) to George Lucas, he's a grumpy old man, who has always been deeply stubborn and loves to mythologize his own process. All of these films bolted on new lore whenever the plot demanded it.

It'd be funny if he was talking about Filoni's stuff. The World Between Worlds is pretty out there I suppose. Between new powers and dyads and whatnot, it could be any number of things really.

Well no, because he was deeply involved in The Clone Wars series and is still chatting with Filoni to this day in all his Disney+ stuff.
I think if anything he feels Filoni is the one carrying on his Star Wars legacy.

He’s definitely talking the Sequel trilogy. But I’m curious what his specifics are what went wrong Force related for him.

Well no, because he was deeply involved in The Clone Wars series and is still chatting with Filoni to this day in all his Disney+ stuff.
I think if anything he feels Filoni is the one carrying on his Star Wars legacy.

He’s definitely talking the Sequel trilogy. But I’m curious what his specifics are what went wrong Force related for him.

Indeed Filoni is often touted as Lucas' successor. That's why I said it'd be funny. I wouldn't overstate Lucas' influence on Filoni though. His actual input stopped many shows ago, and they're different story-tellers. (Lucas wouldn't have kept Ahsoka around for so long for instance)

We can be our own worst enemy, but many SW fans have a real sense of entitlement.
Sending 'death threats' to Johnson because he 'disrespected Luke.' Sending hideous racist comments to Kelly Tran because they found Rose Tico 'annoying.'

One of the most hypocritical comment I read was from a fan who called Rose a 'not Rey' love interest for Finn, and trashed the relationship; they argued that Rose wasn't good enough for their favourite character; this same person accused reylos of racism' for shipping Reylo instead of Finn/Rey. Yet they had no problem in being racist towards Kelly.

The fact is...yes, we love these characters, but at the end of the day, you can't 'disrespect' people who don't exist. I'm an OT fan and I loved TLJ. We are entitled to what we love or hate, but I felt a bit sorry for Johnson because Abrams had no idea of what was going forward and practically handed everything to Johnson and left him to figure out why Luke had gone into exile, who Rey's parents were, what to do with Finn, and how Han's death would affect Kylo. He also had to 'reinvent' Poe, who originally was meant to be a cameo appearance before being killed off in TFA.

I think he did the best he could and I myself liked it. You can't please all of the people all of the time. TROS unfortunately is proof of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"