Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Solo: A Star Wars Story. - Part 3

Luke dying is really seen as a bigger deal than the whole attempted murder of Ben by Luke freaking Skywalker? I like TLJ and even I can't defend that.

He didnt attempt to murder Ben. At all. He went out there to talk to him. He found Ben asleep and looked into his mind and the future. He saw untold pain and misery that Ben would cause. Luke says that in a moment of pure instinct he thought he could stop all that and he activated his saber. But the moment passed and he didnt act on that instinct. It was never an attempt.

Even Luke freaking Skywalker is allowed to be afraid and to have moments of panic.

He draws a conclusion (a pretty inclusive one at that) that fails to take into consideration numerous other factors affecting this film, namely SW fatigue, fan dissatisfaction with the franchise's direction, increased BO competition, poor marketing, and poor product.

He didnt attempt to murder Ben. At all. He went out there to talk to him. He found Ben asleep and looked into his mind and the future. He saw untold pain and misery that Ben would cause. Luke says that in a moment of pure instinct he thought he could stop all that and he activated his saber. But the moment passed and he didnt act on that instinct. It was never an attempt.

Yeah, at most I guess one could doubt that Luke's final version of the story is 100% accurate. He does hide the truth initially. However, I think that we are supposed to believe that the third flashback is the truth as perceived by Luke: he didn't attempt to kill Kylo, but he activated his saber in a moment of weakness, considering that murderous act for a brief moment.

Kylo sees that moment of anger and believes that Luke intends to kill him (second flashback).

Certainly not Luke's finest hour, and it explains why Luke blames himself for Kylo's fall. But at least one can infer that he didn't go so far as attempted murder.

I saw a new article where Disney Brass talked about Solo bombing. He said they have " a lot of work to do."

I think Kennedy either needs to he moved to a different position or fired.

Rian Johnson's trilogy just needs to be cancelled.

I'm pretty sure if they announced those two things you would gain a lot of fans back. Bring Luke back for Episode 9. He didn't die... he transported to a nudist colony. :p

The woman who produced three films in as many years that made $4 billion between them should be fired for her first misfire.

Yeah, that's not happening.

The woman who produced three films in as many years that made $4 billion between them should be fired for her first misfire.

Yeah, that's not happening.

Not to mention Kathy is pretty much Hollywood royalty. I doubt Iger would fire her for a single low box office.

The people calling for Kennedy to be fired don't know what they **** they're talking about, it's that simple.

She's made the company hundreds of millions of dollars more profit than she's lost them, and the two saga films she's overseen have been critical darlings. With the two anthology flicks not so shabby either with reviewers.

It's the equivalent, of, say George never went independent and was answering to Fox in the 80s: they fire him over Willow.

Ri-****ing-diculous.

All he is saying is that he doesnt believe there is an all controlling higher power dictating his fate. But he seems aware of the "tricks and nonsense " and he has seen strange things. So him witnessing what Maul can do wouldnt contradict what he believes in the OT. Maul being able to force pull and force push things shouldnt actually change his mind about whether the Force controls his destiny and life.

It's like if I said I've seen strange things but it doesnt make me believe there is a God. Well I could see miracles or weird things and still not be convinced that the Abrahamic God is real and in control of things. One thing doesnt really prove the other thing.

Yeah, agreed on all of this in a broad sense. Han seeing a force-push or a guy jumping really high etc wouldn't necessarily be enough to make him a believer.

Been a while since I've seen ANH, but what about the lightsaber? That seems like it might cross into problem-territory to me though. You don't necessarily get the sense he can't have ever seen one before, but he does drop that line about "hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side".

Maul
, the way he fights in EpI (and Clone Wars for that matter), you'd kind of figure witnessing a guy with a saber doing that would make you hesitant at underestimating what someone with one of those fancy "ancient weapons" could do.

In a broad sense I'm cool with them crossing paths. Just think you've gotta be cautious with it, tread lightly with all the Sith stuff. A minor display that could be misconstrued as a trick/illusion/sleight-of-hand is more than fine, I just don't know that Han should personally witness this guy with a lightsaber flipping around displaying superhuman feats and cutting people down left-right-and-center. It seems too much.

Portray him as a really evil, really competent, savage & vicious crime boss, maybe with a couple of tricks that impress Han in a way he can't quite explain/write off. You don't need to see Han witness 5-10 bounty hunters or gang enforcers come up across Maul, a saber ignites and he wastes them all though. That's going to screw with the "lightsaber? meh" thing.

Last edited:

Even Luke freaking Skywalker is allowed to be afraid and to have moments of panic.

I really don't like how people treat Ben's twisted version of the event as an actual fact.

To all of those - go back and re-watch TLJ. The last flashback (Luke's last explanation) is the real thing. And I don't remember him trying to kill anyone in that scene. A hesitation moment - yes, but nothing else :)

I saw a new article where Disney Brass talked about Solo bombing. He said they have " a lot of work to do."

I think Kennedy either needs to he moved to a different position or fired.

Rian Johnson's trilogy just needs to be cancelled.

I'm pretty sure if they announced those two things you would gain a lot of fans back. Bring Luke back for Episode 9. He didn't die... he transported to a nudist colony. :p

Kennedy can adjust I don't see her going anywhere but scrapping that Johnson Trilogy is a nice compromise

TLJ has its own forum guys. Discuss it there.

They're not firing him either.

EDIT: Just saw the topic warning. Okay.

Kennedy can adjust I don't see her going anywhere but scrapping that Johnson Trilogy is a nice compromise

Scrapping Rian's trilogy is even more absurd than firing Kennedy. He had nothing to do with Solo, there is no reason he should be affected by it. They aren't going to give in to the childish "fans" who want to prevent Rian from having a career because they don't like his choices in TLJ

so Quira and Dryden were initially gonna be alien???
the-art-of-Solo-Qira-art.jpg

solo-vos-1-700x635.jpg

Now that a few days have passed since my 2nd viewing, something weird striked me.

This film is not really anything too special. Yes, it's good and one of the better SW films. It's just there isn't anything spectacular in it that should make me excited when I think about the film - except maybe the Kessel Run.

I don't know how to explain it. It's just... there. It exists, but not a lot going on in it really to get me hyped for a re-watch. If you think about it, its third act doesn't even have the usual exciting SW action set piece to get you excited. The film culminates with the Kessel Run and actually gets smaller with the final act in Dryden's room (which is mostly talking, betrayals and plot twists). And a grand finale SW set piece usually plays a huge role for the rewatchability of these films.

And that comes off from a HUGE Star Wars fan. I will definitely have it in my collection at one point in the future, but for now it doesn't really get me to think too much about it. It didn't hit me on hype level to think about it for days, as TFA, RO and TLJ did.

Last edited:
Disney Shares Drop 2.4 Percent Following Poor ‘Solo’ Box Office, ‘Roseanne’ Cancellation
Shares are down more than 7 percent year to date

Trey Williams | May 29, 2018 @ 1:02 PM
Last Updated: May 29, 2018 @ 3:46 PM

Disney HQ likely wasn’t the happiest place on Earth on Tuesday, as shares of the entertainment giant closed at $99.72, down 2.4 percent after a double-whammy of bad news.

The decline followed a tough weekend at the box office for Disney as the film studio’s latest Lucasfilm project, “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” underperformed, bringing in just $103 million in box office receipts for the 4-day Memorial Day weekend.

Disney had expected the film to open with $130 million. The disappointing returns of “Solo: A Star Wars Story” has raised concerns for Lucasfilm and its “Star Wars” universe.

Disney’s tough day was compounded by more controversy surrounding Roseanne Barr, the star of its No. 1 show on ABC. The network canceled “Roseanne” on Tuesday after the actress tweeted a comparison of former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett to “The Planet of the Apes” — a joke that the comedian quickly deleted and apologized for.

In the tweet, Roseanne said of Jarrett “muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby = vj.” Jarrett, who was born in Iran, is African-American.

Roseanne later apologized for what she said was a joke made in poor taste, but ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey canceled the show hours later, saying, “Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show.”

Disney CEO Bob Iger also endorsed the network’s decision to pull the plug on its newest cash cow, calling it “the right thing.”

The show, while No. 1 at the network, had its fair share of critics who disagreed with some of the politics and social commentary.

In the last five trading sessions, Disney shares have declined more than 3 percent, and shares are down more than 7 percent so far this year.
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-shar...g-poor-solo-box-office-roseanne-cancellation/

so Quira and Dryden were initially gonna be alien???
the-art-of-Solo-Qira-art.jpg

solo-vos-1-700x635.jpg

Would have loved it if they'd introduced a Lasat to the screen. Don't know if that lower left 3d model is still supposed to be a Lasat or not, but it does look pretty cool. Kinda fixes some of the aspects of the default Lasat design I don't like... ie mainly the nose.

The people calling for Kennedy to be fired don't know what they **** they're talking about, it's that simple.

She's made the company hundreds of millions of dollars more profit than she's lost them, and the two saga films she's overseen have been critical darlings. With the two anthology flicks not so shabby either with reviewers.

It's the equivalent, of, say George never went independent and was answering to Fox in the 80s: they fire him over Willow.

Ri-****ing-diculous.

John Campea, one of Kennedy's most outspoken and biggest supporters, just released this video:

[YT]_HtqN5FAK38[/YT]

Also from Ellis and Harloff.

[YT]RlIEVAgGWSU[/YT]

I wonder what these people will whine about if she does step down and nothing changes? :funny: Star Wars films arent going back to the days when they were just a white boys club. They will keep casting women and non white actors. They will keep hiring different directors and those directors will keep bringing their own ideas that some fans will disagree with. Disney will still want lots of star wars films. Are the ******** people just going to demand the next head of Lucasfilm step down when they dont get what they want? And the one after that? Lucasfilm and Disney and Kathy shouldnt cave to the demands of children. Kathy needs to stay where she is and wait and see what happens with Episode 9's box office.

Where where the think pieces about Sean Bailey needing to step down over Tomorrowland. Or John Carter. Or Lone Ranger.

It's a damn shame how unbearable and and toxic this fandom has become. I miss the days when every over grown man child couldn't go on youtube and Twitter and rant and rave to the masses about their ********. They watched a film and if they didnt like it they kept that ******** between themself and the people they interacted with in person. Now everyone has a damn online soapbox and a megaphone. Every film is a religious experience to them and if it's not to their liking its blasphemy and a sign of the end times and must be purged and the franchise salted and burned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"