Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Solo: A Star Wars Story. - Part 3

Disney should've delayed the film but I guess they have Mary Poppins Reloaded in November / December no? Probably didn't want to compete with themselves.

It's possible that they wanted to see how a Star Wars movie would do in its traditional May slot with the Avatar sequels potentially contesting the late December time period starting in 2020.

I think Disney believed the film would still do solid numbers because..."Star Wars". But I think the general audience is still getting used to non-episodes. I remember with Rogue One, people were wondering if that was the sequel to The Force Awakens.

Audiences are still uncertain about exactly what they are getting. For 40 years it was Episode 4, 5, 6...1, 2, 3...7, and now we're getting standalones

Disney should've delayed the film but I guess they have Mary Poppins Reloaded in November / December no? Probably didn't want to compete with themselves.
Yeah, but are those films more important than Star Wars?

Disney got greedy and wanted the whole summer, essentially.

Disney got greedy and wanted the whole summer, essentially.

Come on, people have been clamoring for a return to the May release for years. Which is what the plan was. For multiple of reasons, they really, really needed to delay Solo.

I saw it again today. This time in an AMC 3D screen. I am not here to dump on the film. I liked it a lot and that’s why I have seen it so many times. This was the worst of my screenings however. The screen was so dark! Even the scenes not on Mimban or Kessel. Chewbacca was basically a dark silhouette the entire movie. I feel bad for people seeing it for the first time in that theater.

I saw it again today. This time in an AMC 3D screen. I am not here to dump on the film. I liked it a lot and that’s why I have seen it so many times. This was the worst of my screenings however. The screen was so dark! Even the scenes not on Mimban or Kessel. Chewbacca was basically a dark silhouette the entire movie. I feel bad for people seeing it for the first time in that theater.
Even without 3D glasses the movie looked unnaturally dark IMO. It was poorly shot.

Which is surprising considering the cinematographer.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the movie's crazy reshoots process and if that affected things in post-production. Or maybe they had ideas on how to color time or filter the movie in post that didn't really work out well.

Disney is the Borg of Hollywood. They want to assimilate everyone and everything. Resistance is futile.

And it doesn't even have the benefit of Alice Krige in tight leather as its leader.

Come on, people have been clamoring for a return to the May release for years. Which is what the plan was. For multiple of reasons, they really, really needed to delay Solo.

The May release always struck me as a weird anachronism that a selection of the fanbase were clinging to. Superhero films have pretty much owned May for the last 10 years and this was going to be the peak of that with Infinity War and Deadpool 2 out in such close succession. They should have known better from the start that December was their new home.

I think this film failed for a number of reasons, not just one.

1. The Last Jedi was heavily criticized - When a film fails to deliver, especially one that was so hyped up, it's bound to have an effect on it's predecessor. I think some people left with a sour taste in their mouth after TLJ and Solo took a hit because of it.

2. Nobody wanted a Han Solo movie - This can be traced back long ago when Disney acquired Star Wars. Everyone has been screaming for a Obi-Wan movie or a Boba Fett movie, not a Han Solo movie. It's hard to replace an iconic role as Han Solo.

3. Avengers: Infinity War/Deadpool 2 - I think these movies have had an effect on Solo as well. A few people that I know said they didn't see Solo because they were seeing these movies instead. Why? I really didn't ask...but it could have been because of #1 or #2.

4. Donald Trump :o

I still don't get why everyone wants an Obi-Wan movie. What more is there to tell? We've already had three Obi-Wan heavy prequels. Why do we need a movie about him twiddling his thumbs in a cave on Tatooine?

I still don't get why everyone wants an Obi-Wan movie. What more is there to tell? We've already had three Obi-Wan heavy prequels. Why do we need a movie about him twiddling his thumbs in a cave on Tatooine?

With Obi-Wan, I think that’s just it, we want a movie to show us that Obi-Wan wasn’t just twiddling his thumbs in a cave for 25 years :cwink:. He had an adventure or 2 along the way.

Well, obviously he will if they are going to make a movie about him. But the prospect of it just doesn't interest me. I like Ewan a lot as an actor but when I watched him as Obi-Wan, it was like George Lucas stuck a vacuum cleaner attachment up his butt and sucked all the charisma out of him. I'm sure he'll be better with a good director and a good script but I'm just kind of over this character in general. Yeah, we get it. Obi-Wan is badass and a noble Jedi who is haunted by his failure with Anakin. I don't really need to see any more of him.

The thing is, Ewan could do GREAT things in the Kenobi role if he were allowed to let loose a little bit. The fact that we saw 3 movies with him and we never really connected, makes it all the more tantalizing to me. I KNOW he can do it, and I want to see it!

I kinda like the idea of an old mysterious hermit that takes on the lawless world of Tatooine with alien smugglers, Tusken Raiders, and gangsters while protecting Luke and avoiding Imperial entanglements.

The thing is, Ewan could do GREAT things in the Kenobi role if he were allowed to let loose a little bit. The fact that we saw 3 movies with him and we never really connected, makes it all the more tantalizing to me. I KNOW he can do it, and I want to see it!

Yeah but that’s the same argument I hear from DCEU defenders. Ben Affleck/Henry Cavill/Jared Leto/etc. could be GREAT if they were handled better! Yeah, maybe. But how many more chances should an actor get before people throw in the towel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"