The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

I LOVED Force Awakens and enjoyed The Last Jedi, so I have the utmost faith in JJ to deliver a satisfying conclusion.

Speaking of Episode IX, more leaks from making star wars have spilled out including
a giant turtle like creature with spikes on its back. Like something out of the neverending story!
Sounds awesome haha

JJ is going to find himself in a very difficult position. He has to manage a balance between closing loss ends brought up by TFA that Rian failed to address in TLJ, while also addressing developments Rian introduced in TLJ. I’m caustiously optimistic that he can do both, but a part of me is reminded of what he did with Into Darkness as well as Disney’s inclination to ruin things by forcing half-baked ideas.

I actually feel JJ could make Episode 9 in such a way that wouldn't contradict TFA or TLJ but would instead close out the story on its own terms.

I tend to think, if anything ,the film will pick up threads and ideas from TFA not covered by TLJ while maintaining the status quo left by TLJ, and introducing new ideas and characters specific for Episode 9.

I'm of the mind that if Abrams has a problem with Rey's parents, Luke's role, Snoke, or anything else then he should've fully cemented those story elements from the get-go. That's not to say there aren't ways of maneuvering around those things in IX, because there are, or that he would do hard retcons on anything, because I don't think he will. But I do think there was a fundamental problem with the mystery box approach.

All I remember is Abrams saying he left those things purposefully vague to let other filmmakers fill them in. He had no plans to return to the franchise after Force Awakens. He was going to be one and done.

But yeah if he wanted those things to be a certain way, he should've mapped them out.

Well, there's a whole controversy in SW fandom about what JJ wanted or didn't want, and whether they should or shouldn't have mapped it out or not.

I find the answer to those debates depends on whether you liked the final products or not.

Imo , If JJ did want it to be left vague and let others answer those questions ,than that's on him if he feels they shouldn't have take one route over another.

That said, after all the drama and fan flame outs over it , at this point, I pretty much feel what's done is done.

Moving forward ,my hope is that the new trilogies, which will be unrelated to the saga films, have a better Idea of where the story will go, and how they'll want the story to play out.

Im so eager for a teaser. Its gonna be nice to get hyped again after a year of toxic fandom

Yeah, it feels a bit odd to have no Star Wars movie to see this Christmas but that's OK. It'll be fun to revel in all the hype next December because you know it'll be everywhere.

All I remember is Abrams saying he left those things purposefully vague to let other filmmakers fill them in. He had no plans to return to the franchise after Force Awakens. He was going to be one and done.

But yeah if he wanted those things to be a certain way, he should've mapped them out.

I will never understand why this didn't happen anyway. Disney knew this was going to be new trilogy, they should have had all three movies outlined before hand rather than letting directors make it up as they go along.

Abrams had stuff for at least VIII, maybe IX. Both Ridley and Hamill have said so.

Simon Pegg even said Rey's backstory was changed from JJ's plan.

What Ridley said I could only find from a French source, so I can't take it that seriously.

She said it in a video interview she did with Hamill.

New rumors. Take with a grain of salt.

Rey rebuilds the Skywalker saber but with one modification. When Kylo and her ripped the Skywalker saber in two it damaged the Skywalker crystal. Now the crystal is unstable. You'll recall Kylo's red crystal is also unstable and because of that his saber hilt needs quillon vent ports that allow the excess energy from the cracked crystal to vent out the side of the hilt. Giving the saber a claymore appearance. The rumor is that the rebuilt Skywalker saber will have these ports as well because of the damaged crystal. And the blue blade will have a ragged appearance like Kylo's.

Rey's outfit in this film is also supposedly designed to evoke a medievel Knight. It was described as "knightly".

Kylo will have evil Sith type eyes.

He has a special unit of Troopers with red and black masks that match his own rebuilt mask.

Last but not least, supposedly the Knights of Ren are all women and scary as ****.

Again take it all with a grain of salt.

'Star Wars: Episode 9' Leaks: Rey's Lightsaber May Return With 1 Big Change | Inverse

I'd be fine with all of that being true. I particularly love the Skywalker saber matching Kylo's. Not only because it's a badass saber design, but because it further drives home the idea that they are mirror's of each other. Two sides of the force.

There is also a rumor going around that a teaser will be released Wednesday. I dont believe it but who knows. Disney could be doing something different with this film's marketing because of what happened with Solo.

I don't trust any rumors from Reddit and any reprinted by Inverse.

Reddit does have members that post credible leaks. Many GOT leaks are spread by people on Reddit. Idk if this reddit poster is credible.

I'm inclined to put some stock in the saber rumor because it fits with what happened in TLJ and what's been established about crystals. The broken crystal can be seen in the TLJ prop and in a close up in the film. Canon says that breaking or cracking has a serious effect on the crystals. Kylo's crystal is cracked. If JJ sticks to what was established by TFA, TLJ, and the new canon the Skywalker crystal should be unstable and act like Kylo's. Whether JJ sticks to what's been established tho...he could just choose to ignore the crystal being broken in favor of keeping the Skywalker saber in it's original form.

The knights of Ren being all women sounds like something Disney would do, but it also sounds like the sort of rumor some basement dweller would make up to upset some of those idiots that dont like a bunch of women in star wars or to just piss off the Disney haters. Frankly I dont want it to be true, because I dont want to listen to people *****ing about the Knights of Ren being all women or anyone griping that a chunk of the female cast is playing evil characters. Not to mention it raises questions about the Knights' relationship with Kylo. Questions Episode 9 probably wont have time or Disney's approval to answer. Itd just be better to make the Knights a mixed group.

Kylo having his own special Troopers wouldnt be much different from Krennic having those Death Troopers in Rogue One. Plus those Kylo Troopers could be his version of the Praetorian Guard. So I think that's a real possibility. Tho if they are in the film I dont expect them to do much more than the typical Troopers.

Rey's outfit, well, we can safely assume she will get a new outfit. She's in a war. Armor seems appropriate. The Jedi during the Clone Wars wore some armor.

Kylo having the evil dark side eyes could go either way. Nothing ruling it out or guaranteeing it.

Reddit does have members that post credible leaks. Many GOT leaks are spread by people on Reddit. Idk if this reddit poster is credible.

I'm inclined to put some stock in the sabre rumor because it fits with what happened in TLJ and what's been established about crystals. The broken crystal can be seen in the TLJ prop and in a close up in the film. Canon says that breaking or cracking has a serious effect on the crystals. Kylo's crystal is cracked. If JJ sticks to what was established by TFA, TLJ, and the new canon the Skywalker crystal should be unstable and act like Kylo's. Whether JJ sticks to what's been established tho...he could just choose to ignore the crystal being broken in favor of keeping the Skywalker sabre in it's original form.

The knights of Ren being all women sounds like something Disney would do, but it also sounds like the sort of rumor some basement dweller would make up to upset some of those idiots that dont like a bunch of women in star wars or to just piss off the Disney haters. Frankly I dont want it to be true, because I dont want to listen to people *****ing about the Knights of Ren being all women or anyone griping that a chunk of the female cast is playing evil characters. Not to mention it raises questions about the Knights' relationship with Kylo. Questions Episode 9 probably wont have time or Disney's approval to answer. Itd just be better to make the Knights a mixed group.

Kylo having his own special Troopers wouldnt be much different from Krennic having those Death Troopers in Rogue One. Plus those Kylo Troopers could be his version of the Praetorian Guard. So I think that's a real possibility. Tho if they are in the film I dont expect them to do much more than the typical Troopers.

Rey's outfit, well, we can safely assume she will get a new outfit. She's in a war. Armor seems appropriate. The Jedi during the Clone Wars wore some armor.

Kylo having the evil dark side eyes could go either way. Nothing ruling it out or guaranteeing it.

?

I'm inclined to put some stock in the sabre rumor because it fits with what happened in TLJ and what's been established about crystals. The broken crystal can be seen in the TLJ prop and in a close up in the film. Canon says that breaking or cracking has a serious effect on the crystals. Kylo's crystal is cracked. If JJ sticks to what was established by TFA, TLJ, and the new canon the Skywalker crystal should be unstable and act like Kylo's. Whether JJ sticks to what's been established tho...he could just choose to ignore the crystal being broken in favor of keeping the Skywalker sabre in it's original form.

I have also seen some credible leaks for Game of Thrones on Reddit, but that's Game of Thrones AND they usually originate from somewhere else.

The Knights of Ren being all women seems like a rip off of the female army from Black Panther.

The Knights of Ren being all women seems like a rip off of the female army from Black Panther.

Right cause Black Panther is the only movie that should be allowed to have a group of badass women. Anyone else that does it is ripping off Black Panther.

Look at Hollywood, lots of businesses, and government when men are in a position of power over women in a position of subservience. Kylo recruiting exclusively women as his subordinates raises the question of exactly what that relationship entails. Is it a harem of sorts... a cult... does he abuse them...does he recruit women exclusively because he thinks he can manipulate them more easily etc? He's a horrible manipulative morally bankrupt human being that is steeped in the dark side, a part of the Force that feeds off of pain, misery, suffering, anger subjugation etc. A philosophy that revels in hurting others. We saw in TFA that Kylo was willing to essentially mind rape a woman or a man. We saw Snoke mind rape Rey to an even more severe extent in TLJ. Is raping one of his Knights too far for a person like Kylo?

Frankly this is something I've wondered before about the dark side and dark side users, and it's something the franchise is never likely to deal with. Considering what the dark side is I think it's safe to say there would be a lot of abuse and sexual assault amongst dark side users. Theres few ways more effective to degrade and break another human being than sexual abuse and assault. And the First Order, like the Empire, probably doesnt actively stop it from happening especially if it's done by people like Sidious, Snoke, or Kylo.

If any of them are women the question is there but with a mixed group I think itd be easier to ignore the possibilities, but by having Kylo recruit exclusively women I think it begs a number of uncomfortable questions.

I'd be fine if the Knights of Ren were exclusively or mostly women. I'd have zero issue with it, assuming the reddit report is accurate. It doesn't matter to me if they're all women or all men , or half of them of species or cyborgs etc. What matters to me is how its executed and how good the story is.

The title of Episode 8 was revealed on January 23, 2017. We will probably know the title of Episode 9 by the end of next month.:awesome:

I wonder what color they'll use for the star field title reveal poster this time? TFA's was yellow, TLJ's was red... maybe blue for Episode 9? Which color would yall prefer? Blue or green, or something more unexpected like orange or purple?

Oh and I just got enough disney reward points to get the double sided theatrical poster for TLJ. :db:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"