The Rise of Skywalker Colin Trevorrow No Longer Directing Star Wars Episode IX

jokesonm3

Jokes For Short.
Reaction score
This is the official thread to discuss all things Colin Trevorrow, Director of the upcoming blockbuster Star Wars: Episode IX.

Best known back in 2015 as the Director of the Mega blockbuster behemoth known as Jurassic World.

His current filmography includes:

IXO9jjI.jpg

And to kick off this new thread, here's a recent article from Entertainment Weekly regarding Colin Trevorrow's response to an earlier report of a fan petition to bring back George Lucas to direct Episode IX which had itself garnered a lot of attention.

Colin Trevorrow responds to fan's Bring Back George Lucas petition.

Posted January 12 2016 — 10:07 AM EST

For the target of a petition that demands he lose his job, Colin Trevorrow isn’t too worried.

Two weeks ago, a Change.org petition was published online, calling for George Lucas to return to the Star Wars franchise and direct Episode IX, the final film in the new trilogy. More than 20,000 fans have signed-on for Lucas to replace Trevorrow, but the grassroots effort hasn’t intimidated the Jurassic World director in the least.

“It’s funny. I saw that,” Trevorrow told Entertainment Tonight. “I think it was yesterday, and it was on a day where I was at Lucasfilm giving this big speech to everyone about how we want to channel the invention and just the raw creativity and the boldness that George brought to these films.”

Trevorrow also commented on how his film will relate to the direction of The Force Awakens, explaining that he’s collaborating with Episode VIII director Rian Johnson (Looper). “A story must evolve or perish,” Trevorrow said. “Rian and I are working closely together, to make sure that our stories build off of each other and continue to evolve and take us to new places. I think that’s what the fans expect and what they want.”

Johnson’s Episode VIII is set to hit theaters in May 2017, with Episode IX — which will almost definitely be directed by Colin Trevorrow — following in May 2019.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/12/star-wars-petition-colin-trevorrow

Entertainment Tonight - EXCLUSIVE: Colin Trevorrow Says Rey's Origin Story Will Be 'Profoundly Satisfying'

http://www.etonline.com/news/179765...ises_satisfying_answer_to_star_wars_theories/

Colin Trevorrow said:
"I've seen all of the theories. I have to practice how to answer these questions." "We're going to make sure that that answer [of Rey's lineage] is deeply and profoundly satisfying." "Rey is a character that is important in this universe, not just in the context of The Force Awakens, but in the entire galaxy." "She deserves it. We'll make sure that that answer is something that feels like it was something that happened a long time ago, far away, and we're just telling you what happened."

"I love Rey. But I love her. And I love what she represents in that universe and where we can take her. It's pretty incredible."

"By the time we get to Episode IX, I look at that movie as one movie, as three movies, as six movies, and as nine movies. It's something that needs to honor a story that has been told over a period of 40 years." "Star Wars is a belief system, it's not just a story, it's not just a movie, and it's something that I take very seriously."

Last edited:
mean I love Rey, she's great. But the mystery of her origins isn't THAT compelling. I was fine with leaving it up in the air for TFA (I did wonder if that was one of the changes that JJ made at Rian's request)? But freaking 2019, really. I seriously doubt that the answer will be so shocking and super-brilliant that it'd justify dragging this out for like 6 years

I'm kind of hoping that Trevorrow simply means that he's aware of what her true origins are already. Or that the big reveal itself will happen in Episode VIII, but perhaps will leave a few plot strands left over for Episode IX.

I think he is a great choice. I thought JW was easily the second best Jurassic movie and it was his first like not independt film and his first blockbuster movie. For it being his first blockbuster movie I thought it was impressive and I think he can continue to learn from some of the mistakes he made. I think he has a lot of protectinal has a film maker.

I think he should be banned from civilization.

Trevorrow in another interview seemed to indicate that he and Johnson have been working together. So perhaps the next two films will be more interconnected that we realize?

I think he should be banned from civilization.

Did you read the interview where Trevorrow requested Rian make changes to VIII to accomodate his film? Lol.

Honestly my problem is he's a Brett Ratner, McG solid journeyman type and that's what Disney wanted because they wanted the home stretch delivered in a safe manner. But sure IX will be an insta hit regardless and there's underatted guys like John Hyams, Neil Marshall, Scott Mann, Vincenzo Natali and Duncan Jones who could've channelled the box office cred to more interesting projects and left some interesting marks on the film.

Last edited:
Did you read the interview where Trevorrow requested Rian make changes to VIII to accomodate his film? Lol.

Honestly my problem is he's a Brett Ratner, McG solid journeyman type and that's what Disney wanted because they wanted the home stretch delivered in a safe manner. But sure IX will be an insta hit regardless and there's underatted guys like John Hyams, Neil Marshall, Scott Mann, Vincenzo Natali and Duncan Jones who could've channelled the box office cred to more interesting projects and left some interesting marks on the film.

Context is important here. The new trilogy is a collaborative effort between all three directors. Rian Johnson had suggestions about things to add to The Force Awakens and also requested that a few things be changed or taken out to help him better tell the story for Episode VIII. Some of the requests Rian made were granted by J.J. and some were not. That's all Trevorrow is doing. He has ideas about things he'd like to add to the story for Episode IX which might necessitate Rian making a few alterations to his film. As with TFA and J.J. though, Rian is under no obligation to make those changes if he thinks they will hinder what he is doing with Episode VIII. The Directors having a give and take relationship with each other and being willing to make some compromises in the interest of making the trilogy flow better overall is a good thing.

I watched only Jurassic World and I didn't like it. And this guy has both WRITING and directing credits there.

Star Wars: Episode IX director wants to shoot part of it in space
Will also shoot the entire movie on film, not digital

Colin Trevorrow wants to make Star Wars: Episode IX feel as authentic as possible — by shooting parts of the film using IMAX technology in space.

The Jurassic World director told Interstellar director Christopher Nolan about his goal during a panel at the Sundance Film Festival on Thursday. You can watch the entire hour-and-a-half-long conversation in the video above. During their discussion, Trevorrow told Nolan that he brought up the idea to Lucasfilm and Disney of shooting certain IMAX film plates in space.

"I haven't gotten an answer yet, but they've shot IMAX in space," Trevorrow said.

Trevorrow also confirmed that like J.J. Abrams did for The Force Awakens, he would be shooting on film instead of digital. It's a format that Rian Johnson, the director behind Episode VIII, also went with.

Trevorrow, who also used film instead of digital when making Jurassic World, said that there's something nostalgic about the way a movie looks when shot on film that digital can never fully encapsulate.

"Film tends to remind us of our memories, of our childhoods. The way we used to see films," he said.

Trevorrow added that period movies, for example, were the type of films he could never attach himself to if they were being shot on digital. He jokingly reiterated that since Episode IX was a period movie, there was no way he could even fathom directing it on anything but film.

"It happened a long time ago," he joked during the panel.

While Episode IX will definitely be shot on film, the upcoming Rogue One — the first in Star Wars' Anthology series — will be shot entirely on digital.

There's currently no release date set for Episode IX, but it is slated to come out at some point in 2019. Episode VIII was supposed to be released next July, but was recently pushed back seven months to Dec. 15, 2017.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/29/10...x-director-wants-to-shoot-part-of-it-in-space

If he somehow manages to get approval on shooting IMAX scenes in space that might be worth the admission right there.

If he somehow manages to get approval on shooting IMAX scenes in space that might be worth the admission right there.

He should use the hollywood studios that the moon landing was filmed in.

You know what would be ideal? If they can replace Collin with Matthew Vaughn.

As much as i love Vaugn, i would rather see Brad Bird replacing Colin Trevorrow.

Basically, we're all in agreement that he was an underwhelming choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"