The Rise of Skywalker Colin Trevorrow No Longer Directing Star Wars Episode IX

As someone who liked TLJ, I have some admitted bias, but I I don't think it matters what JJ had planned (if he even did). Rian Johnson took the ball and moved the story forward. The DOTF script did the same thing. If that film came out and resembled the script we've seen, there is a 3 part story there that functions fine.

Trevorrow wanting Luke alive was a rumour correct? Was it ever confirmed by anyone substantial? I ask because as likely as it looked years ago when this story surfaced, the script we have now shows that Luke had a pretty significant role as a ghost. A role that wouldn't even work if the character was alive. We also know that Mark Hamill was pretty happy with Trevorrow's take. It's possible that Carrie Fisher's passing changed minds, but I don't think Luke being alive for 9 solves any of the problems that Leia's absence created. I think that story was bull.

It was only TROS that contradicted its predecessors, after the flack that TLJ caught. That film was Disney's cowardly second-guessing in its final form. A film that does its best to say nothing, do nothing, and hopefully not offend anyone.

That thing about Trevorrow and Luke was a fake, unsourced rumor that came from REDDIT. It was never confirmed by anyone substantial.

I think Luke being alive for 9 solves the problems ONLY if Luke hadn't have died in such an awkward and stupid manner in Episode 8.

Because having Rey being trained by stock footage of Carrie Fisher functionally doesn't work.

Luke didn't need to be alive to train Rey. He practically promised to haunt Kylo. He could literally appear anywhere he's needed. It's so bizarre that he was barely in TROS.

I would say they lacked both a vision and a plan. Sure, they had a 3rd script before the second one was released, but it was clear that the first two filmmakers had different ideas for where the story should go.

The 3rd script intended to connect what threads were left, but Colin originally wanted Luke alive for the finale, and its doubtful JJ wanted Snoke dead and Rey's Parent's to be nobody's at the end of the day.

Then once Colin was gone, JJ , in addition to making her "somebody", introduced Palpatine and several others ideas that weren't present in the first two films.

Lucasfilm and Disney had a plan for a trilogy and spinoffs, but they didn't seem to have a plan for keeping all the filmmakers and writers on the same page, nor a plan to connect the stories in such a way they wouldn't contradict each other .

The storyteIling elements of the trilogy is what fans tend to point when they refer to a lack of a plan.

Disney and Lucasfilm may very well have had an idea for what they wanted Star Wars to become, but they never bothered to put the work in to get there. I think the biggest issue is that fundamentally they didn't understand what they were getting themselves into once Lucas was no longer in charge. Star Wars, for all it's existence, whether its film, games, books, etc, had to go through Lucas for final approval. It was one man giving it a thumbs up or thumbs down. When Disney took over it was placed in the hands of people who couldn't agree on where things should go from here, other than just some broad ideas.

And I think a large part of it comes down to the higher ups in Disney and Lucasfilm not actually being a fan of the property they purchased. I honestly don't think Kennedy has ever been a fan of Star Wars. She may very well have worked for the people who helped build it, but nothing about the decisions or promises she made to George since taking over show she ever did. And there's nothing wrong with that, you don't have to love the concept, but if you're job is make sure this IP stays in the public conscious for the next 20 years you have to put aside your own biases and get people involved who do love it and allow them to make decisions. Iger's not much better. Had he been a fan he would have ensured the right people were in charge from day one and not just plonk down release dates with nothing worked out. it's only when the **** started to hit that fan that he started realise how much they botch Star Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"