The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Where does circling him like a predator, equal being almost being feral? She doesn't attack him there and she is fighting someone who has hurt someone she cared about and murdered someone she cared about. Rey isn't even remotely trained as a jedi here.

They didn't elevate her, like that. TROS had her be weak and try to give up and be convinced otherwise.

Er..I did mention that.
No, she wasn't trained. But she was a Force sensitive who showed all the qualities of a Sith.

As to her little conversation with Luke on Acht To..was that the best they could do regarding her 'temptation' to the dark side?
Luke went through all kinds of ****. Rey had five minutes of doubt on Acht To then off she went to show the galaxy how magnificent she was.

I've just seen this trailer on the offical SW site...
DLF are so very determined to hammer home the 'Rey is a Skywalker' vibe it's ridiculous

If that is what they wanted they should have made her a blood one from the start.

As much as I like Matt Smith, I think he's better off without this on his resume. Look at Terminator Genisys playing ****ty Skynet variation 3.7.

You know, I really would like to know what they originally intended to do...and why they changed their minds, apparently several times.

You know, I really would like to know what they originally intended to do...and why they changed their minds, apparently several times.

I'd also like to know what they changed their minds on just to have it on the record, but I don't want alternate cuts or anything like that.

Matt Smith: "Yes [I was going to be in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker]. No [I didn't shoot any scenes for it]. I didn't, I didn't. There was...we were close to me being in it...then it just never quite happened. I think the thing they were thinking of me for - eventually the part became obsolete and they didn't need it and so <broad gestures> I never got to be in Star Wars. There we are." "I could not possibly say [what my exact role was publicly to you]. I could not possibly say [that], but it was a pretty groovy thing like it was a really groovy concept. It was a big thing! Yeah, like it was a big story detail. Like a transformative Star Wars story detail but it never quite got over the line <smiles>." "I mean it was like a big <shift hand gesture> shift in <gestures> the history of the franchise. Yeah. There we are!" "There was no costume [test]. There were a couple of meetings [to] talk about it." "Maybe I can come back [to Star Wars], you never know." (November 3, 2021) (archive)

Yeah, I think Smith was definitely better off. Now he's in Last Night in Soho. Much better role.

Considering how much of a cluster f*** the sequel trilogy ended up being, I think it was good that Matt Smith’s role ended up getting cut

Considering how much of a cluster f*** the sequel trilogy ended up being, I think it was good that Matt Smith’s role ended up getting cut

It was bad enough he played Skynet in Genisys. Like...why? Even Daisy Ridley is struggling to get work post-Star Wars. It's sad, but something that a lot of talented actresses have to deal with in their careers. Natalie Portman had similar problems post-prequels as well, but she eventually bounced back. Like yes, on one hand you're in Star Wars and get a big payday, but on the other it could hurt your future career prospects.

It was bad enough he played Skynet in Genisys. Like...why? Even Daisy Ridley is struggling to get work post-Star Wars. It's sad, but something that a lot of talented actresses have to deal with in their careers. Natalie Portman had similar problems post-prequels as well, but she eventually bounced back. Like yes, on one hand you're in Star Wars and get a big payday, but on the other it could hurt your future career prospects.
Portman's career was fine post-prequels. She did V for Vendetta immediately after, then a string of smaller films before winning an Oscar for Black Swan and then jumping back into another franchise with Thor. I suppose it helped that she had a promising career ahead of her before the prequels. If anything, Hayden Christensen was the one who suffered from it.

Portman's career was fine post-prequels. She did V for Vendetta immediately after, then a string of smaller films before winning an Oscar for Black Swan and then jumping back into another franchise with Thor. I suppose it helped that she had a promising career ahead of her before the prequels. If anything, Hayden Christensen was the one who suffered from it.

From Portman's own mouth:

"Portman: Star Wars had come out around the time of Seagull, and everyone thought I was a horrible actress. I was in the biggest-grossing movie of the decade, and no director wanted to work with me. Mike wrote a letter to Anthony Minghella and said, “Put her in Cold Mountain, I vouch for her.” And then Anthony passed me on to Tom Tykwer, who passed me on to the Wachowskis. I worked with Milos Forman a few years later. He said, “Mike saved me. He wrote a letter so that I could get asylum in the U.S.” He did that for 50 people, and it doesn’t make any one of us feel less special."

From Portman's own mouth:
Cold Mountain would have been in between Episodes II and III so it wasn't post-prequels yet but even then, she was still getting acclaim for films like Garden State and Closer at the time. If directors were reluctant to work with her, it was only temporary.

Cold Mountain would have been in between Episodes II and III so it wasn't post-prequels yet but even then, she was still getting acclaim for films like Garden State and Closer at the time. If directors were reluctant to work with her, it was only temporary.

The point still stands she still struggled with her career for a while especially after episodes I and II. I never said it wasn't temporary, but it still created problems for her. That's the point. Starring in a bad Star Wars movie, even a good one, can stigmatize your acting career.

The point still stands she still struggled with her career for a while especially after episodes I and II. I never said it wasn't temporary, but it still created problems for her. That's the point. Starring in a bad Star Wars movie, even a good one, can stigmatize your acting career.
Yeah, it's actually rarer for actors to break out post-Star Wars. Harrison Ford is the main outlier. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher never really had a starring role post-OT. The prequels propelled Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor to stardom but their breakout roles came before Episode I. Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver seem to be doing fine post-Star Wars but Daisy Ridley has struggled. I hope we'll be seeing more from John Boyega in the future.

'Struggling' is relative too. Portman was probably red hot in Hollywood after Leon and had all sorts of opportunities in front of her. Just because she had some roles doesn't mean she didn't see her options decline, or struggle to get projects going etc. etc.

Anakin definitely got hit harder than Padme in this instance though. He had that dud Jumper and then disappeared.

Daisy has lots of better competition around her age bracket and no disrespect to her, but also much better actresses. Two examples right away are ATJ and Florence Pugh. And then one goes up a bit of a bracket and she finds herself going up against, Emma Stone, Margot, KStewart, Ana de Armas. Eh, if the mouse comes calling to her again, I think she should take that deal.

Boyega is slated for a major film role shooting next year; there was a Netflix show he was going to star in but he pulled out at the last minute.
Daisy doesn't seem to be doing very well at the moment; only Isaac and Driver seem to be getting work, but they were both experienced actors BEFORE SW - and Driver now has two Oscar nominations under his belt.
I can't help but wonder if DLF will eventually offer John and Daisy a Disney + series, and if I was in their shoes, I'd take it.

Kelly Marie Tran was given a lead role in Raya as a consolation prize at least.

I actually think she is a better actress than Ridley - I'm not insulting her, she IS good, but Tran was better.

I love Daisy, but it is true she has tons of competition. Anya Taylor Joy, Ana De Armas, Margot Robbie, etc, are all phenomenal powerhouses in hollywood right now. Anya has moved so fast up that ladder, it's insane. Feels just like yesterday I watched her in The VVitch.

I love Daisy, but it is true she has tons of competition. Anya Taylor Joy, Ana De Armas, Margot Robbie, etc, are all phenomenal powerhouses in hollywood right now. Anya has moved so fast up that ladder, it's insane. Feels just like yesterday I watched her in The VVitch.

Dakota Fanning?

Fanning has practically disappeared from mainstream movies at the moment, her sister seems to be doing better. I can be difficult however, for some child stars to make it big as adults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"