Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Looks pretty good, overall. Generally I avoid stuff where kids are the main characters but Stranger Things and It have changed my perceptions around that a bit (or maybe Finn Wolfhard just has, lol). And I'll watch anything with Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd. What I'll really give it credit for though is that it doesn't seem to be a plot rehash of the original, which is mostly what the Feig film mostly was.

It looks like the 2009 game isn't canon anymore. The trailer says that there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years so it looks like the game didn't happen. It was set in 1991. So there hasn't been any ghost sightings after GB2. I don't like the idea that Ghostbusters didn't have any work after it.

It looks like the 2009 game isn't canon anymore. The trailer says that there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years so it looks like the game didn't happen. It was set in 1991. So there hasn't been any ghost sightings after GB2. I don't like the idea that Ghostbusters didn't have any work after it.
But that's been 29 years since 2020(which is when this will take place), so just rounding it off to say "30 years" isn't that much of a stretch.

I don't think that discounts the game, at all.

I don't mind a more reverential tone. Ghostbusters is a seminal film for a lot of people. It was way more than just a comedy for the people who grew up with it. I didn't even realize just how funny the movies were until I got older, which of course made me love them even more.

It's always been a fine line to balance horror/scifi and comedy since you have to make sure the stakes are still there. This series did it, and Men in Black did it for the most part.

Have to say that trailer hit all the right notes for me. Looking forward to see what they do with it. But I'm wondering if this is supposed to be a franchise, how they deal with the kids in the sequel.

The kids aren't really that young and the way kid actors grow fast these days it at-least sets up sequels as they get older and move into nyc or something

As someone who doesn’t particularly care about the Ghostbusters franchise and thought the reboot was ok and didn’t deserve the hate it got, this looks very good. Like I’m shocked how much I was feeling that trailer.

I don't get the dislike for kid adventure films. Some of the best stuff from the 80s (E.T., Goonies, Stand By Me, Teen Wolf, Lost Boys, etc.) was kids on adventures.
Some of the best stuff now is that as well. I personally love them. But it does seem people who are no longer kids themselves don't always seem that into an new take on that.

I'm not hating on the kids. I'm honestly curious about how they transition what was once a business in a large metropolitan area to something else. Have to wait and see what character types we get.

Had zero hype before the trailer (not really a Ghostbusters fan), but this does look good. (almost like Stranger Things meets Super 8) It's really on the nose they cast Finn Wolfhard in this. Also Mckenna Grace looks completely unrecognizable.

A very grounded trailer. Im not a GB-Fan, but I think we could leave the key of that franchise far behind with this.

Just pausing the trailer towards the end, even that ghost (Slimer?) looks like it's from the 80s with the transparency and glow.

I don't get the dislike for kid adventure films. Some of the best stuff from the 80s (E.T., Goonies, Stand By Me, Teen Wolf, Lost Boys, etc.) was kids on adventures.

Beats me, man! Stranger Things, Super 8, there have been some good kids adventure films in the past decade. I'm cool with this. I think it'll also have more potential to hook a new generation of kids into Ghostbusting...and maybe we won't have to wait another 25 years or so for a passable sequel.

I liked Ghostbusters as a kid, watched the old cartoon as well. As an adult, I like the first movie at least, although I'm not super into it. I do think the trailer was good, and I do enjoy Stranger Things/Super 8/etc., but I'm not sure Ghostbusters was the best fit for this sort of movie. It doesn't seem like the look of this movie meshes well with the existing design of the car or the ghosts, like the movie's half Ghostbusters and half It or something. That's kind of a risk when you take something that exists and figure out how to make it into something else instead of just making something else, but then I realize franchises are big business. I think McKenna Grace looks cool, that's probably my main takeaway from the trailer.

I’m ok with them trying a different approach than trying to be a straight comedy like the first two, and invite comparison. I’m sure it will have humor in it, hopefully more of the deadpan kind, than the obvious over the top attempt of the reboot.

I really liked the trailer. Looks like it could be really interesting. I like that the approach feels different from the first two.

I’m ok with them trying a different approach than trying to be a straight comedy like the first two, and invite comparison. I’m sure it will have humor in it, hopefully more of the deadpan kind, than the obvious over the top attempt of the reboot.
C'mon...that scene where they beat the "fat nerd who can't get a woman" sterotype by shooting him in the crotch...that's GENIUS!!

Please note this was sarcasm. If I can go the rest of my days without seeing that again, I'm good. Also, gotta love that they only caught ONE ghost in the film...and they let that one go free...and it killed someone.

That "remember that summer we died under a table?" joke seems to fit the type of sarcastic deadpan humor of the originals.

After viewing the trailer, I am cautiously optimistic. Didn't really see anything that was off putting, Egon's granddaughter (I assume) looking just like him his a cute touch.

I'm gonna be that guy. So I apologize ahead of time. Just know, this is just my opinion. So, don't let it get to you.

Didn't like it at all. I'm not sure what the right Ghostbusters sequel is, but this didn't look like it was it.

Nothing about it looks or says Ghostbusters. The trailer came off more like a Stranger Things or Stephen King thing. None of the jokes sounded funny. Why are there ghosts in this small little town? Why should we care?

Nothing about this trailer justifies the connection to Ghostbusters. If anything, it sounds more like another case where they should've just made their own story and call it something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"