Glen Larson writing Knight Rider movie

ultimatefan

The Batman must come back
Reaction score
If I watch it now, I´ll probably find it cheesy as hell, but when I was 12 I was a HUGE Knight Rider fan, it was a show I couldn´t miss an episode of... According to AICN, show creater Glen Larson is writing a script for a movie version of it. Against the trend of turning old TV shows into self-parodic movies (Nora Ephron, what the hell was it you were trying to do with Bewitched?), Larson is said to be doing a darker version, while still PG-13. My guess is Larson is seeing the success of the remake of his show Battlestar Galactica, which is much darker than the original. A Knight Rider movie with a tone and style similar to Ron D Moore´s Galactica? An intriguing idea, to say the least. No information yet regarding David Hasslehoff being in the cast or not - but it´s likely he´ll be there, if not as the lead, maybe as some sort of mentor role or at least a cameo.

Golgo13:The Hitman said:
NNNOOOO!!!!!:eek:
That NOOO! Is directed at the idea in general or the tone that it may use?

You know what, I thought a remake of Battlestar Galactica was a terrible idea, and now I´m addicted to the show, maybe more than I was addicted to the original when I was a kid...

I couldn't picture anyone else in the role of Michael Knight besides David Hasslehoff. Wonder if it will be set in the future like the made for tv movie was? That was made in 1991 & was set in the year 2000. If it was set in the future they would probably have given Kitt the ability to fly & cloak itself etc. I would hope that they would have a scene of Kitt drag racing, which would be faster Kitt in super pursuit mode or a car suped up on Nitrous Oxide?

Knight Rider is a cool show but how can the writers come up with anything dark for the show?

I will only see this if William Daniels reprises the role of Kitt. I don't care if the movie rox without him. Either they use him, or I force people not to watch it somehow.

Lazlo Panaflex said:
Knight Rider is a cool show but how can the writers come up with anything dark for the show?

Actually I think there was some potentially dark stuff in the original show. It just wasn't mined.

I mean, Michael Knight was a cop left for dead. I can't remember if he had a family or wife, but just the struggle to let go of his past, to overcome his need for revenge could be interesting. On the show, Michael seemed to get over being shot, left for dead, and being forged into a Foundation agent pretty quickly, but a movie might go into that process a little more in depth. (Though not to the point of dragging down the movie).

And the Foundation was shadowy. Why did it have such authority?

The whole Garth thing, and how Daddy Knight had Michael remade in the image of his bad seed son. That's a bit creepy when you think about it.

And a lot of the shows dealt with conspiracies of some sort or other.

I am open to a revamped Knight Rider. Hopefully, David Hasselholf can take on the role of Devin or Daddy Knight. Also would like the guy who did KITT's voice to return. Absent him, somebody with a good voice and that can be witty. As for the car, I hope they pick one that is a really cool visual, and has some kind of 'personality'. That show Viper never really done it for me, despite the car's cool effects. The car just didn't have what KITT had-but I can't really say what that is.

DarKush said:
Actually I think there was some potentially dark stuff in the original show. It just wasn't mined.

I mean, Michael Knight was a cop left for dead. I can't remember if he had a family or wife, but just the struggle to let go of his past, to overcome his need for revenge could be interesting. On the show, Michael seemed to get over being shot, left for dead, and being forged into a Foundation agent pretty quickly, but a movie might go into that process a little more in depth. (Though not to the point of dragging down the movie).

And the Foundation was shadowy. Why did it have such authority?

The whole Garth thing, and how Daddy Knight had Michael remade in the image of his bad seed son. That's a bit creepy when you think about it.

And a lot of the shows dealt with conspiracies of some sort or other.

I am open to a revamped Knight Rider. Hopefully, David Hasselholf can take on the role of Devin or Daddy Knight. Also would like the guy who did KITT's voice to return. Absent him, somebody with a good voice and that can be witty. As for the car, I hope they pick one that is a really cool visual, and has some kind of 'personality'. That show Viper never really done it for me, despite the car's cool effects. The car just didn't have what KITT had-but I can't really say what that is.
That´s interesting, I hadn´t seen the pilot for the show. I think if you take something similar to the Galactica remake approach, you can make a pretty interesting Knight Rider movie, combined with the cool visuals and FX.

Viper was a cheap knock-off. KITT was a real character, the Viper car was just a cool car.

ultimatefan said:
That´s interesting, I hadn´t seen the pilot for the show. I think if you take something similar to the Galactica remake approach, you can make a pretty interesting Knight Rider movie, combined with the cool visuals and FX.

Viper was a cheap knock-off. KITT was a real character, the Viper car was just a cool car.
which version of viper? the first or second because the version one rocked. but NBC canned it.

HR-PUFF&STUFF said:
which version of viper? the first or second because the version one rocked. but NBC canned it.
I only remember watching a couple episodes, a long time ago. That I remember, Viper didn´t have a computer with voice and stuff like KITT.

I'm looking forward to this. This project has been in development for years now at Revolution and I hope it finally can move forward. But I want to see Hasselhoff in this. I don't want a remake with another actor doing Michael Knight.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
I'm looking forward to this. This project has been in development for years now at Revolution and I hope it finally can move forward. But I want to see Hasselhoff in this. I don't want a remake with another actor doing Michael Knight.
Depends, really. BSG had a whole new line-up and they were great. So did Charlie's Angels and Starsky and Hutch. Can't think of a better trio for the Charlie's Angels movie and Stiller and Owen were sterling (quality of plot and direction of movies notwithstanding, but that's not the issue here).

ultimatefan said:
I only remember watching a couple episodes, a long time ago. That I remember, Viper didn´t have a computer with voice and stuff like KITT.
they had a season on nbc and then they canned it and then it was brought back but with a new cast and haveing little to do with the first season other then the car.
the first season had a gang member getting into a crash while trying to get away from the cops. he is decaled dead and they change his face and give him new memmorys and make him the driver of the viper.

Hassel Hof,Williams,Larson,Stu Phillips should return.

For the rest of the cast & crue i put earlyer those idea´s.

Directer: Jan De Bont,Steven Spielberg,James Cameron or Roger Spottiswoode
Knight Rider Theme: Glen A. Larson & Stu Phillips
Music: Glen A. Larson.Stu Phillips & David Arnold
Writer: Glen A. Larson
Costume Desinger: Lindy Hemming
Michael Knight: David Hassel Hof (or Gerard Butler)
Kitt: William Daniels
Bos of Michael (Not with the name Devon): John Cleese
Car girl: Reiko Aylesworthas
Car Boy: Cuba Cooding Jr
Guy who talking with car: Eddy Murphy
Anthony Hopkins as The villian
Sean Connery as The Villian (or doing the voice for an second Karr.)
Famke Janssen as villian & girl friend of The Villian

I don´t have any idea´s on this moment for second writer. Mabey the guy from ´24´ Stephen Hopkins.

A couple of days a go it is confirmd that MGM going to make the movie and not Universal. Earlyer Fox take The A-team over from Universal.

Mr. Feeny just did the voice of KITT for The Benchwarmers movie, so I think he's more than available. The question is, who would want to direct it? Once in a while you get an A-lister that wants to put their own spin on a tv show turned movie and it comes out good, so who knows? I would say just off the top of my head Antoine Fuqua, as he's done good work, but he's not at Ridley Scott/Spielberg unattainable status yet either.

Pretty cool news. Personally, I'd cast Tom Welling as Michael Knight and Michael Cain as Devon Miles. No-one but Mr. Feeny can do KITT's voice though!

DarKush said:
Me too. I'd love to see Hasselhoff play Devin.

No! Hasslehoff would be completely wrong for Devon. Get Michael Cain. :)

The car should stay mostly the same as in the show, however I think they should completely re-design the interior and update the dashboard/interface to something more high-tech by today's standards.

Lazlo Panaflex said:

I don't know, maybe bring back Stephen King's Christine. I loved that movie and always wondered what would happen if they faced off.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I didn't think BSG would be a good remake and now I love that show (can't wait until October). So having said that, maybe this can work. I wonder if we'll see K.A.R.R. or Golaith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"