Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - Part 1

things looking dire for this franchise...sigh. At least we got GvK and new Toho films to look forward too.

Well... even GvK looks like it'll go the Justice League route. :csad:

So I really liked this film.
It delivered in all the good stuff I wanted to see in a film like this.

Some notes:

That godzilla dude manages to be all stealthy somehow, its bonkers.

He takes Powernaps, like finishing off MUTOS? power nap. Oxigen destoyer bust you real good? POWER NAP! Droped from the skies by Ghidora? Lets give big G a few seconds to do some shuteye, get some Mothra dusting and he'll be fine!!
I kinda wanted to see more of the miscellaneous titans that where awoken. They mentioned 17 and just a handfull showed up at all. The

The Human plot was mostly good and well integrated with the monster action. I really don't see the critics hate on this.

I mean is not perfect like:

Was Vera right in releasing the titans after all? Did they kinda justified her ecoterrorism?

so I give this film 8.5 outta 10.

This is one to see in the cinemas again and again, the spectacle is worth the ticket.

If Godzilla's Revenge and the 98 film couldn't kill the franchise than nothing can
Well, if GvK doesn't do well, I think that's pretty much gonna be the nail in the "mainstream audience will never be interested in Godzilla" coffin. It'll still continue in Japan, thankfully, but I'd be hard-pressed to believe Hollywood would ever make another Godzilla movie again, even with Toho looking to expand the G-Man with international releases.

Aight, let me rephrase that. They won't revisit Godzilla for at least another 20 years. There, happy? :o

So I really liked this film.
It delivered in all the good stuff I wanted to see in a film like this.

Some notes:

That godzilla dude manages to be all stealthy somehow, its bonkers.

He takes Powernaps, like finishing off MUTOS? power nap. Oxigen destoyer bust you real good? POWER NAP! Droped from the skies by Ghidora? Lets give big G a few seconds to do some shuteye, get some Mothra dusting and he'll be fine!!
I kinda wanted to see more of the miscellaneous titans that where awoken. They mentioned 17 and just a handfull showed up at all. The

The Human plot was mostly good and well integrated with the monster action. I really don't see the critics hate on this.

I mean is not perfect like:

Was Vera right in releasing the titans after all? Did they kinda justified her ecoterrorism?

so I give this film 8.5 outta 10.

This is one to see in the cinemas again and again, the spectacle is worth the ticket.

They didn't really justify her choices. They handled it as it really is: problematic. Even though some of the things said aren't wrong, the actions are. And the movie doesn't justify those at all.

Well to an extent it worked. Just let the wrong dude off the chain.

I mean, the end credits justifies what she did.

Just did not know what Monster Zero was.

I mean, the end credits justifies what she did.

Just did not know what Monster Zero was.

LOL, basically planet wide monster genocide and destruction of cities is a good thing :D

We get renewable sources of fuel in Kaiju waste, and things balance themself back out for the Earth.

It's basically copying Blue Gender.

The film 100% justifies the argument that the Titans need to be free for the health of the planet. It doesn't justify global destruction, because that wasn't the plan and that's yet another example of human arrogance making things much worse (by assuming that Ghidorah was just the same as all the others when he wasn't).

Also, in regards to Hollywood never being interested in Godzilla again: How many King Arthur, Robin Hood, 3 Musketeers and Tarzan movies have you seen utterly flop in your lifetime? Cause I've seen quite a few. Granted, they're a bit cheaper than Godzilla, but Hollywood will always be obsessed with any franchise that has built-in name recognition. It's just easier than trying to make a splash entirely from scratch.

They’ll probably keep on keeping on in Japan with new releases until they get tired, pause the franchise for ten years and then have Hollywood give it another crack, see if it’s successful or not, and then start over.

That was fun and it was never boring. Stupid as hell, but at least not boring. Shame it's flopping so bad, for all the criticism about the human characters it's not fair the film isn't getting praise for monsters being so vivid and even shady

It’s a shame this isn’t doing better. I know the movie has its problems but it was, for my money, better than any other Godzilla movie I’ve seen. The previous film looked pretty good but I found the human characters stupid and worthless, and it bugged me how much they cut away from the action. The 98 film was trash. The Toho films are fun but it’s hard to take them seriously when it’s obviously just a guy in an (often cheap) rubber suit. I’m glad GvK has already been filmed but hopefully they won’t murder it in reshoots.

I'd argue Shin Godzilla is also a masterpiece.

I liked Shin Godzilla, but I don't think any subsequent Godzilla movie has proven itself equal to the original film. The original Gojira is a film I would argue should be required viewing. Especially if you're trying to study/learn about Japanese cinema. That film is a time capsule.

Did I mention it's one of my favorite movies :o

It’s a shame this isn’t doing better. I know the movie has its problems but it was, for my money, better than any other Godzilla movie I’ve seen. The previous film looked pretty good but I found the human characters stupid and worthless, and it bugged me how much they cut away from the action. The 98 film was trash. The Toho films are fun but it’s hard to take them seriously when it’s obviously just a guy in an (often cheap) rubber suit. I’m glad GvK has already been filmed but hopefully they won’t murder it in reshoots.

I liked this one much more than 2014 movie

I liked this one much more than 2014 movie

Seriously. I have no idea why that crappy movie has a fresh RT rating. Gareth Edwards is like a vacuum cleaner who sucks all the talent out of his actors.

2014 was alright. Edwards did a pretty good job conveying the scale of the monster action and I thought the restraint built up to a pretty enjoyable finale. The Cranston rug-pull was jarring but might have worked if his son had some charisma.

Instead of having one good character that died too early, this film instead had a complete set of thoroughly unlikable ones. I hated this film whenever it cut away from the monsters. It lost me early on and I was pretty bored by the end of it. I did like the ancient underwater ruins though. That was fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"