Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - Part 1

Mothra should’ve ate Vera Farmiga. Her character was so annoying and predictable.

Seriously. I have no idea why that crappy movie has a fresh RT rating. Gareth Edwards is like a vacuum cleaner who sucks all the talent out of his actors.

It's so forgettable and ATJ and EO were so much worse than anyone here, Farmiga's character may be badly written but she is always charismatic and lively, these two looked and acted like they were dead

Seriously. I have no idea why that crappy movie has a fresh RT rating. Gareth Edwards is like a vacuum cleaner who sucks all the talent out of his actors.

In my opinion, Godzilla (2014) remains far superior to KoTM because of the following reasons:

- Simple more cohesive plot that makes sense. KoTM story made no sense and was confusing to the point of being convoluted.

- Better acting.

- Yes Aaron Taylor Johnson & Elizabeth Olsen were weak and forgettable for the most part, but you could say the same for all characters in KoTM. At least you could better understand and relate with Johnson's and Olsen's characters, whereas most of the KoTM cast were just exposition set-up and lacking in substance.

It remains to this day the best MonsterVerse movie.

Last edited:
I prefer 2014 to KOTM, better writing, better cinematography, better acting, it had a clear anti-nuclear message and it was scarier.

In my opinion, Godzilla (2014) remains far superior to KoTM because of the following reasons:
- Simple more cohesive plot that makes sense. KoTM story made no sense and was confusing to the point of being convaluted.
- Better acting.
- Yes Aaron Taylor Johnson & Elizabeth Olsen were weak and forgettable for the most part, but you could say the same for all characters in KoTM. At least you could better understand and relate with Johnson's and Olsen's characters, whereas most of the KoTM cast were just exposition set-up and lacking in substance.

You're entitled to your opinion and I guess it's the consensus, but I don't know. I found Kyle Chandler's and Millie Bobbie Brown's characters more relatable than anyone in G'14, and Ken Watanabe was utilized far better in KOTM, IMO. Vera's character was sort of unrelatable but that was kind of the point; she was doing something completely insane and the world paid the price. Cranston was the only one in G'14 that I gave a damn about but he died so quickly that even he didn't really register much. I also thought the giant origami monsters looked ****ing stupid.

It's so forgettable and ATJ and EO were so much worse than anyone here, Farmiga's character may be badly written but she is always charismatic and lively, these two looked and acted like they were dead

Yeah. It's a shame because I normally like them but they were completely worthless in that movie. ATJ was just a dull military guy and Olsen was a love interest cliche (I need to stay here and save people even though remaining here will just kill us all anyway!). I don't blame them, I blame Edwards and the writers.

Also, could they have given ATJ a more on-the-nose action hero name than Ford Brody? lol

I didn't think the plot was confusing, either. It was easy to follow.
I wouldn’t say it’s confusing. “Nonexistent” would be closer to the mark. That’s why the human characters in the film don’t work: they have nothing to do, no goal or object that works in tandem with the monster segments. The most egregious example is the eco-terrorists, who after freeing ghidorah in the first 20 or so minutes of the movie...are basically done. They spend the rest of the film sitting around an abandoned Agents of Shield set doing nothing. The closest thing to a plot related to the monsters the humans get is the 15 or so minutes in the sub, which turns out to be 90% worldbuilding for movies we’ll probably never see.

I haven’t seen the movie but the box office is looking terrible. The overstauration of blockbusters is catching up to Hollywood very fast.

Oh gosh you’re right. This thing is going to lose money for the studio.

I haven’t seen the movie but the box office is looking terrible. The overstauration of blockbusters is catching up to Hollywood very fast.

I prefer to say that a lack of Superhero blockbusters is catching up to Hollywood fast. WE NEED MORE SUPERHERO MOVIES!

As much as I enjoyed this movie, the masterpiece of the series remains the original Gojira.

The original King Kong too. Gamera I think the new trilogy is the best of its series. And the new Ultraman on Netflix is an absolute masterpiece

- Simple more cohesive plot that makes sense. KoTM story made no sense and was confusing to the point of being convoluted.

- Better acting.

I wonder what you thought of The Matrix Reloaded plot especially the Architect scene haha

I too am disappointed by the BO end of this, but so long as GvK comes out and is not a reshoot nightmare, I am happy.

Hopefully the BR DVD digital sales help somewhat. Heck even action figures and statues. I know I would buy the heck outta all 4 monsters - Godzilla Rodan Mothra Ghidorah figurines

I wonder what you thought of The Matrix Reloaded plot especially the Architect scene haha

As far as I’m concerned, the story ended after the first movie (which was great) :)

I am overdue for a trilogy re-watch, perhaps my feelings will change.

I too am disappointed by the BO end of this, but so long as GvK comes out and is not a reshoot nightmare, I am happy.

Here’s hoping GvK does make a profit, even if small. They have managed to make Godzilla and Kong both great monster characters, as well as giving us satisfying monster action. I would hate for GvK to be last of the Monsterverse.

The original King Kong too. Gamera I think the new trilogy is the best of its series. And the new Ultraman on Netflix is an absolute masterpiece
I have yet to see the new Ultraman on Netflix (or the Godzilla animes....I really have to get on those). But absolutely agree on the original King Kong and Gamera. The Heisei Gamera films are wonderful and when it comes to Kong, they have not touched on the magic of the original. The 70s remake is just not that good (and it's sequel is super awful) and the Peter Jackson movie for me is just way too bloated and needlessly long. But the original King Kong is arguably one of the most important films ever. SFX would not be what they are today without it.

Nah man. The 1970s King Kong with Jessica Lange and Jeff Bridges’ Neck Beard is where it’s at.

Actually scratch that. KING KONG LIVES is the best one. Melvin Smiley killed like 50 people to make sure he returned it to the video store. That has to be worth something.

I have yet to see the new Ultraman on Netflix (or the Godzilla animes....I really have to get on those). But absolutely agree on the original King Kong and Gamera. The Heisei Gamera films are wonderful and when it comes to Kong, they have not touched on the magic of the original. The 70s remake is just not that good (and it's sequel is super awful) and the Peter Jackson movie for me is just way too bloated and needlessly long. But the original King Kong is arguably one of the most important films ever. SFX would not be what they are today without it.
The Netflix Godzilla stuff is sadly a waste of time imho. Ultraman is worth a watch. Not great but ok. The Heisei Gamera trilogy is way better than it has any right to be and the ending of Revenge of Iris is easily the most ****ing epic thing I’ve ever seen in a giant monster movie. The original Kong is a classic, but I really enjoy PJ’s version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"