Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 1 "Pilot" General Discussion

I didn't think he was cruel at all. But it's obvious that the Wayne have to work on their image, just like he explained wuite well in episode 2. That said, he was there for Bruce, and that's what matters the most. Granted, so far, he's lost, but he will learn, and i like that they are giving him this progression.

Just a quick reaction, I have to mull it over a bit.

But on a first viewing I gave it 9/10.

First, I was a fan of the direction Nolan took with Batman.

This has a bit more mood than Nolan's work, and an even grittier feel.

I love the cast, especially the kid who plays Bruce, although I find
Gordon a little dull and dour -given how lively the other characters are.
Bullock steals every scene he's in.

To be honest I'm constantly wishing that Batman would show up and
knock a few of the bad guys' heads together, but I'm interested enough
by the characters to keep watching (even without the Dark Knight turning
up). Cobblepot is a real stand-out, a wonderful update on Burgess Meredith's
shuffling Penguin.

Maybe the show will start a "flash-forward " type approach and we'll
see some of the caped crusader ? In the meantime, I thought the pilot was
engaging enough to get me interested in how things are going to turn out.

Very Batman:Year one, just minus Batman, I really want to see where it goes.

Ugh, I just saw the pilot and quite frankly I sure hope it improves from this in future episodes. I just about choked on the level of fan service shoved into this episode. I mean, 4 future supervillains in just the first episode? Come on, that's just very inorganic and sloppy/lazy. It makes Gotham feel like a very small city of maybe a couple hundred people.

Anyway, I though the guy they cast as Gordon did alright as well as the actress playing Fish Mooney. Gotta punch up that dialog though because this really could've used more character stuff and less blatant exposition.

I give this episode a C-.

Last edited:
Organic?

Catwoman slinking around in the background (in broad daylight), making cat poses, stealing milk, and interacting with cats?

Riddler actually speaking in riddles?

Penguin eating sardines and waddling?

Poison Ivy actually being named Ivy, and standing in the background watering plants?

What's next, Floyd Lawton crying in the corner with a picture of his family? Waylon Jones in a skin moisturiser commercial?

Well at least with those last two only Batman fans would get the reference. I am not a Batman fan so I have no idea who they are(I'll look them up later, maybe) but for the 1st four you don't need to be much of a Batman fan to get them and I agree it was ridiculous.

It's a shame that they don't aim for that level of quality with shows like this.

Well, to play devil's advocate those shows are on HBO and have a much more free hand with regards to content.

But yeah, this isn't even close to those in terms of quality.

So I guess the average on this poll(so far) is about a 7.3/10 for this episode.

I liked the episode.

Only problem I have, which is minor, is that it's really quick paced and the music is a bit overbearing. It could do with less of that, because it kind of drowns out what people are saying and doesn't connect quite you to the scene. That's what it felt like with me. I guess it's because of the shows pace. But even if the music was toned down a touch, a little softer in the more dramatic scenes, it would be perfect.
It didn't stop me from really getting into it though.

All in all, watched it with my mother and sister, because they're Batman fans also, and I think they were more into it than I was actually. All the actors were fantastic. I had no problem with JPS, as some might have. I liked her hammy performance.
RTL was brilliant as Penguin. I know he's definitely a one to keep coming back for, see how the sadistic SOB plays things out! Great writing for the character and brilliantly played. Ben McKenzie was very good as Gordon. I was a little a confused by his characterisation in some scenes. Like how he allows the beating of the guy in the back of the club, but I guess there was nothing he could do. I like how it's building up that he's prepared to be the only good cop fighting a corrupt system. I liked his balls. He's not feeling hopeless or afraid...for now, of course. David Mazouz in the small scenes he was in was fantastic. I was surprised by him in the end. He had a vulnerability about him, but a small and growing sense that he's going to mean huge business to just about anybody who pisses him off (in whatever way). I'm interested in seeing him grow. And the kid pratically owned the scene with Gordon at the Manor.
It's great start and I look forward to seeing the rest of it :up:

On a score? 9/10

Last edited:
I really don't know how to rate this, I'd probably give it a 6/10 (but the scoreline at the top classing 6 as meh is ridiculous it certainly wasn't meh, meh would be a very low rating). It wasn't bad but wasn't great either, my brother dropped Arrow and said to me how much bigger scale wise Gotham was but I don't agree with him at all. It didn't feel any bigger than Arrow at all and it certainly wasn't anywhere near as good as the Arrow or Flash pilots. I agree with the poster who said it needs to get a dumb site better than this because it really doesn't. I know I'm way behind as I've only just wished the pilot so I know there is massive room for improvement. Guess time will certainly tell.

Edit: one thing that constantly sticks in my mind is that image when Bruce screams after his parents die. I always said if I made a Batman film I wouldn't do the origin again but I would start the film with that scene and bar Selina Kyle been there it's pretty much how I pictured it in my mind.

Last edited:
I've always taken "meh" as a term to describe something that's not horrible but not that good either.

I've always taken "meh" as a term to describe something that's not horrible but not that good either.

I've always taken it to mean you completely dismiss sonething, i.e. Watch this film, the other person replies "meh"

I didn't have much hope for this show given that prequels generally don't appeal to me. This was actually a pleasant surprise though, not great but a solid start. The deaths of Thomas and Martha Wayne have always had an emotional impact on me and I feel FOX handled the more touching scenes well here. They also did a good job of making James Gordon pretty bad-ass in his first scene. Donal Logue is quite good as Harvey Bullock and Jada Pinkett Smith gives a pretty good performance as well. Some of the easter eggs felt heavy handed but I feel like I need to rewatch it just to catch all of them.

I've always taken it to mean you completely dismiss sonething, i.e. Watch this film, the other person replies "meh"

It's meant to be used for indifference, not for things you hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"