Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 3 "The Balloonman" General Discussion

You're describing over 90% of Batman comic books ever written. Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Joker et all are all kitschy characters even when they're written completely straight.

I disagree. You can go theatrical, colorful or downright weird without coming off tacky/campy. Authors like Brubaker, Azzarello, Moore, Dini, and others have been able to do so for years with moderate to considerable success.

For the record, I don't hate the show. I've actually been enjoying Taylor's take on Penguin (except when he starts rambling on about the future like a poor man's Nostradamus). I could have done without the couple from last week's episode, though -- they look and felt like they crawled out of a bad episode of Lois & Clark.

Last edited:
I could have done without the couple from last week's episode, though -- they look and felt like they crawled out of a bad episode of Lois & Clark.

lol, that's exactly what I thought. They felt just like characters from "Lois & Clark" and not in a good nostalgia way.

Does anyone know the song that plays at the beginning and the ending of the show? It's a good tune.

The problem in a nutshell is,we're living in an age of Superheros on tv with Arrow & Flash,soon to be Daredevil,Supergirl,etc.Gotham is in the Smallville mold of teasing what you know (or at least hope) will come later.People don't want to wait for Batman to grow up in ten years,when you have Arrow doing Batman's gig over on the other network,yesterday.We expect more these days.That's why this show is a tough sell.Smallville today would be a tough sell.These prequel shows are bidding on 1999 level expectations.

qPxGRhS.gif

I disagree. Both Gotham and Smallville are made in the same type of situation. Lois and Clark had Superman as Superman every week. They wanted to do something different than redoing what they did less than a decade previous. Gotham is coming off Nolan's hugely successful movies with Batman being Batman. With expectations of a big budget franchise fresh in people's minds. Gotham is looking at the story another way.

Also, Gotham isn't about Bruce. Its about Gordon. Smallville was about Clark.

I respect any man in life that will bravely dress up in a poor costume representation of an animal or insect, and foolishly fight to bring peace and justice to a crumbling society, that is often too drunk and high to notice such things :up:

I sort of like the idea of how the balloon man kills(it's original, I'll give them that) but otherwise I think this episode was a step down from episode 2. Getting tired of them wearing their comic book references on their sleeves. The idea that Gotham is corrupt is something that should be less overtly said every 2 minutes. It's a backdrop, a setting and situation. But it's how the people act inside it that should be what the focus is on. I'd like them to go at least 1 episode where they don't outright talk about corruption. Let it be hovering in the air, in the background. Use some subtlety, for goodness sakes. Ugh!

I agree that episode 3 was bit let down I loved 1st and 2nd episode. man I loving Alfred, Gordon, Bullock, Selina. I hope they do more with Maroni, Falcone famliy. Watched E3 last night as UK behind US.

Three episides in and I'm yet to be impressed by Gotham. I was always skeptical of a pre-Batman show and I think I was right to be. The question has always been with Batman, were the freakish villains already there or were they a consequence of him wearing the mask. Well this show seems to have done away with that and I don't think it really works. Hopefully it will improve, at the moment it's well behind Arrow and the Flash.

I actually liked the swashbuckling scene with Alfred and Bruce. Nice to see David Zayas from Dexter show up. I hope he's a series regular. Dan Bakkedahl who played Balloonman was pretty funny in Legit on FX. The Penguin scenes continue to be good and I wasn't expecting that ending!

Ok I have searched high and low to see if anyone else spotted this in Ep3.

In the scene where "balloon man" goes after Cranston he looks taller and thinner than the other appearances of "Balloon man" in the episode.. After Cranston knocks him down and say's "lets see what we got here" we get a very brief look at the mans face and this is what we see ...

10830657_347285258796482_230155442371899540_o.jpg

White skin and on the right a green tuft of hair ... Joker ???

Oh and the line Cranston says after this, looking somewhat shocked ... "What the hell ? ...Who are you !"

Last edited:
I think this episode had they reworked Davis Lamond the Balloonman into the grandson of Gregory sanders the vigilante and had him use his grandfather's pistols to go around enacting the vigilante justice getting the name in the media the vigilante instead of the balloonman. Doing this would have given the possibility in the future to have the other vigilantes like Adrian chase and that whole line of hero succession happen.

I really don't see what's wrong with the Balloon Man. If you were a corrupt official, and someone was going around killing your peers, wouldn't you be scared, no matter what his means of execution was?

Personally, the case fit perfectly with my idea of the ideal Gotham: A dark, gritty place where ridiculous things happen.
Good description, that's how I see it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"