The Dark Knight Goyer talks TDK and BB

Retroman

Avenger
Reaction score
Found this on screenwriter David Goyer's official MySpace page. Though its more than a month old i don't think its been posted here.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Batman Begins

Back in 2002 Chris Nolan asked me if I would be interested in working on the definitive Batman film with him. At the time, the Batman franchise had completely jumped the shark. Chris' wanted to make a grounded film that depicted Batman's origin – a story that hadn't even fully been told in comicbook form. The closest the comics came to an origin story was Frank Miller's Batman: Year One. But even that story skipped the critical phase in Bruce Wayne's development when he learned the skills he would ultimately need to become Batman.

Because this was an origin story, Chris and I decided that Bruce would need some kind of mentor. In a perfect world, we wanted that mentor to become a paternal figure – someone who could ultimately betray Bruce. We also wanted to use a villain that had not previously been depicted in film. I suggested Ra's Al Ghul, the megalomaniacal eco-terrorist that writer Denny O'Neil had created during his 70s run on the Batman comics. Ra's was more grounded than the rest of Batman's rogues gallery and he had some nice similarities to real-world boogeymen like Osama Bin Laden. Chris liked the idea and we were off and running.

Aside from Batman: Year One and the 70s O'Neil issues, Chris and I also drew inspiration from Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's wonderful Batman gangster-noir maxi-series The Long Halloween. We mixed those three primary resources together, threw in a healthy dose of our own ideas, and eventually came up with the finished film. Batman Begins was one of those rare movies that is both a commercial and critical success.

Some time after Begins premiered, Chris rang me again about doing the sequel. Because I was about to direct a film of my own, I didn't have time to write the entire screenplay. We compromised with a 30-page treatment that Chris and I worked out over the course of a few months. At that point, the treatment was handed over to Chris' brother Jonah (the co-writer of The Prestige). From start to finish, both film experiences were among the best I've ever had.
Source: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=110273944&blogID=199993602
www.myspace.com/dsgoyer

I remember having heard the same thing way before November 30th. but nice find anyway:hyper:

Goyer did great with Batman Begins I am glad he put in his ideas for Chris and his brother to work with. Jonah did amazing with the Prestige so I have very high hopes for the script.

Someone ask this man on his myspace if Ra's is still alive.

It is an easy answer. For now Ra's is dead but they left it so that he could possibly come back. Seriously doubt he is coming back though wouldn't bet on it.

I remember someone said the treatment was ridiculously large, like 90 pages, which is almost a whole script, but 30 pages sounds about right, including some dialogue, scene descriptions and such.

Yeah, that's pretty much something we all already assume, but it's nice to hear confirmation.

Cool. :word:

I wasn't too crazy about the whole realistic approach, but I think Goyer (along with Nolan) did a wonderful job with the screenplay.

Sweet find, Retro.

Thanks.
Goyer did great with Batman Begins I am glad he put in his ideas for Chris and his brother to work with. Jonah did amazing with the Prestige so I have very high hopes for the script.
I haven't seen the Prestige since it hasn't been released here yet but i'm glad all three of them had a hand in the screenplay. Goyer is the biggest comic book nut of them so its good he to write the treatment.
I remember someone said the treatment was ridiculously large, like 90 pages, which is almost a whole script, but 30 pages sounds about right, including some dialogue, scene descriptions and such.
Yup.

Thanks.

I haven't seen the Prestige since it hasn't been released here yet but i'm glad all three of them had a hand in the screenplay. Goyer is the biggest comic book nut of them so its good he to write the treatment.

Yup.

Retro...see it. It had to have been my favorite film of 2006 (even though I didn't see a whole lot in theatres.) I mean trust me you see these two fueding magicians and it just gives you so much confidence on how well they could write the Joker and Batman.

And yes Goyer just gets WAY too much hate on here. It is like people keep his accomplishments on the downlow and blow his mistakes out of proportion.

Retro...see it. It had to have been my favorite film of 2006 (even though I didn't see a whole lot in theatres.) I mean trust me you see these two fueding magicians and it just gives you so much confidence on how well they could write the Joker and Batman.
Sounds great. I bought the book a year ago so i'll definitely be watching this in the theater when its out next month.:woot:
And yes Goyer just gets WAY too much hate on here. It is like people keep his accomplishments on the downlow and blow his mistakes out of proportion.
True and its not only Goyer who gets that.

goyer is IMO a great writter but a really bad director. he should start with small movies. bladde trinity was to much for him.

please god no flash for him. he should just writte the story.

Totally agreed. Sure, he has had a couple of misfires but he has also had his hand in BB, Blade 1&2, Dark City and the soon to be made TDK. That's some solid work right there. I'm glad that Nolan has someone like Goyer, who is pretty familiar with the Batman mythos and comics in general, to consult and bounce ideas off of. IMO, all directors who make a superhero movie could use someone like Goyer to consult, that is, unless they are already familiar with the source material. I'm also glad to read he has had such a great experience with BB and TDK so far.

Goyer love - now there's something you don't see every day. It's a nice change. :)

Well I wouldn't say I love him but he definitely gets shortchanged on here.

I just added Goyer and Nathan Fillon..and Ryan Renyolds...Ryan has good choice in music. I love the Cold War Kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"