Green Lantern Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, the humor of salt in the still open wound continues. I had posted how Thor and/or XM:FC were going to leap frog GL soon after they were ranked right together at #18-20 last weekend.

It took Monday dailies for both films to leap frog GL. No ranking number has yet been assigned but it broke down like this for Monday daily box office figures.

Thor - $58,223 12 weeks+ in release
XM:FC - $55,040 9 weeks+
GL - $51,566 6 weeks+

X-Men has nothing to gloat about either. Couldn't even reach the first X-Men's gross and that was 11 years ago.

But as I said before I dont think his career will be hurt

IF Reynolds was some up and comer like Chris Hemsworth then I think something like GL would really hurt his career

Reynolds already has a decent career and already had multiple starring roles lined up before GL came out. While GL didnt move his career forward I dont think it will hurt it either

IF Reynolds was some up and comer like Chris Hemsworth then I think something like GL would really hurt his career

Reynolds already has a decent career and already had multiple starring roles lined up before GL came out. While GL didnt move his career forward I dont think it will hurt it either

maybe, but some more like this one and things will start to look not so bright for our onscreen Hal Jordan.

maybe, but some more like this one and things will start to look not so bright for our onscreen Hal Jordan.

I'll bet he'll move right past this and forget it like most of the moviegoing public has.

I largely agree, though I wonder if Hollywood would be skittish about putting him in another leading man role in a sci-fi/action blockbuster, due to Green Lantern's performance. But other than that, I don't think it's going to impact his career all that much. He built in on comedy/romantic comedy, with a dash of horror and drama anyway.

To be honest, I don't think it will tarnish anything because not enough people saw it or have knowledge that it was a flop.

Nobody is talking about Green Lantern in a negative context because nobody is talking about it period.

X-Men has nothing to gloat about either. Couldn't even reach the first X-Men's gross and that was 11 years ago.

First Class was following on from two toxic movies in X3 and Wolverine.

If First Class was following on from a good movie in the franchise, like X2, it's safe to say it's BO would be more impressive.

First Class was following on from two toxic movies in X3 and Wolverine.

If First Class was following on from a good movie in the franchise, like X2, it's safe to say it's BO would be more impressive.
Put Wolvie in First Class and it makes more than Thor.

Put Wolvie in First Class and it makes more than Thor.

You don't know that. People were burned by Wolverine Origins. I doubt if Wolvie's presence would have helped them much. Maybe a couple of million $'s, but Thor is out-earning X-Men First Class by almost $100M worldwide. That is too much of a difference than what Wolvie brings to the table (especially after the first Wolvie solo movie). Most of Wolverine fans are X-Men fans as well, and have seen First Class.

You don't know that. People were burned by Wolverine Origins. I doubt if Wolvie's presence would have helped them much. Maybe a couple of million $'s, but Thor is out-earning X-Men First Class by almost $100M worldwide. That is too much of a difference than what Wolvie brings to the table (especially after the first Wolvie solo movie). Most of Wolverine fans are X-Men fans as well, and have seen First Class.
This isn't about X-Men fans, this is about the general audience, to them Wolverine IS X-Men, he is the main draw especially when you factor in Hugh Jackman. An X-Men movie without Wolvie is like a Thanksgiving meal without the Bird. Heck a flat out horrible XO:W, with toxic word of mouth made a lot of money. You give the GA an X-Men movie featuring Wolvie front and center with the amount of positive reviews that First Class got and it easily adds 100mil to the final tally if not more.

^ Not really. XO:Wolverine made decent money in the US, but NOT so much internationally. You are assuming Wolverine will add a lot, which is highly speculative (not really based on anything). Not even worth discussing. But if we must... In other countries, X2 made only $192M, Wolverine only $193M, X3 only almost $225M. It's not like Wolverine has hit Iron Man's popularity in other countries. He is only THAT popular in the US.

Wolverine and First Class talk belongs in the X-Men forums. Move it there...

OMG Sage, you sure have been crabby lately. But you are right..............this time. :argh:

With all the talk about GL bombing, they are moving on ahead with a sequel because WB executives state it made a "decent" opening. I don't understand that but whatever. I say do it Marvel's way and build up to a JLA movie. Tie their biggest names up like Batman and Superman with GL and it would/will make more money.

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=43441

I doubt theyll actually move forward with it. It hasnt made it's budget back, it has largely negative perception... I dont see what would make them want to make a sequel

OMG Sage, you sure have been crabby lately. But you are right..............this time. :argh:

With all the talk about GL bombing, they are moving on ahead with a sequel because WB executives state it made a "decent" opening. I don't understand that but whatever. I say do it Marvel's way and build up to a JLA movie. Tie their biggest names up like Batman and Superman with GL and it would/will make more money.

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=43441

Didn't that guy also say they were doing a sequel to Superman Returns before?

Never said it did have reason to gloat. Way to read into what you think is there vs just reading what was typed. :whatever:

Fox is likely to do either A)Another X-Men movie beside Wolverine 2 and B)it could be a Second Class cause despite coming a bit short vs budget XM:FC still knocked a solid in field home run worldwide. Something GL can't claim.

This talk by the WB film guy about "we had a decent opening and realized there is a market for GL" in regards to a sequel is pandering to the international markets. It opens in the remaining 22 foreign markets and he's essentially pandering to say, "Hey GL fans, your theater $$$ are still important. Our decision isn't made yet, waiting to see how it does...so go see it."

Didn't that guy also say they were doing a sequel to Superman Returns before?

Except Warner Bros. was serious for a time about a Superman Returns sequel.

Warner Bros. really wants to build up their DC Comics brand and giving up on Green Lantern doesn't do that. Building up DC Entertainment's brand is probably the only reason why Green Lantern gets a sequel if it even gets made.

Wasn't the Superman Returns sequel still active until their golden boys came in with an idea?

I want to see GL 2 but I am not too sure that it will get green light, but there are certain things that may make it happen like -

* The CGI rendered models which made the first movie costlier (CGI suits of Hal Jordan and CGI models of Sinestro, Kilowog, Tomar Re, Guardians, CGI design of Oa, etc.) are already with them, so for GL 2 they will not be starting from scratch, which enables then to save money and time.

* Unlike Superman Returns where major hurdle was finding a way to get around the "super kid" problem, the sequel to GL can go in many directions and they can introduce John Stewart and make Hal Jordan as a cameo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"