Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of which, I made this wallpaper. Thought I would share it.

f1qpg9w.jpg

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

:cwink:

Question:
What was with the Sakaaran soldier with the bug face?

Oh I know that. I'm just curious for the drastic change from the comics appearance.

From Variety MARCH 26, 2009:
Marvel's hiring writers -Team to adapt characters into films

MARC GRASER said:
With more than 5,000 crime fighters and villains in its library, Marvel Entertainment is looking for some help in adapting those characters into films.
Comicbook giant is readying to assemble a group of scribes who will pen scripts for various properties Marvel wants to develop.

The writers group will be similar to that created by the fellowship program the Walt Disney Co. has been running since 1990. Latter enlists a dozen scribes to work with creative execs to develop films for the studio and TV shows for ABC, the Disney Channel and ABC Family.

Marvel will invite up to five writers each year to work on specific projects, said a source familiar with the deal. Those could include staffers behind Marvel's comicbooks. Tenpercenteries around town are currently pitching potential candidates with writing samples.

The company will provide the specific pitches it wants the scribes to tackle. Those could involve certain plot points for movies already in development or characters it would like to see in its future film slate.

Gathering of scribes will help Marvel come up with creative ways to launch its lesser-known properties, such as Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Nighthawk and Vision.

So far, it has focused its efforts on more popular superheroes

Weekend Box Office: ‘Guardians Of Galaxy’ $160.4M Bow Broke Records But Not Summer Slump
Nikki Finke said:
An original even surprising and certainly risky project from producer/top executive Kevin Feige, Guardians Of The Galaxy falls into what Marvel Studios has dubbed Phase II that broadens its cinematic universe to include new heroes and villains, many of them not household names. These characters have been around for decades in the pages of Marvel Comics, even though they didn’t come together until 2008 as the GOTG (which prior to that was the name of a group of crimefighters in the 31st Century of an alternate Marvel Universe). The heart of this movie with heart is the team of Marvel-mentored screenwriter Nicole Perlman and director James Gunn, who helmed horror-comedy Slither and superhero send-up Super but had trouble finding an audience until now. While GOTG "owes a great debt" to Marvel helmers Jon Favreau and Joss Whedon, Gunn says it owes an even bigger debt to Steven Spielberg and George Lucas because it’s more of a space adventure film than a superhero film.

Perlman developed the project through the Marvel writing program in which scribes each choose a property from a list provided by the studio. She chose GOTG. "My friends in Hollywood were like, ‘Why would you choose that? They’re never going to make a movie with a talking raccoon in it.’ I loved the tone and thought it would be fun," she told media. Perlman called it "a really incredible experience" finding the right permutation of characters and story to craft into the best movie. The process took 2 years. "It was nice to have the time and freedom to explore the different ways the project could play out. I think there’s this idea that a female screenwriter who is writing science fiction and not romantic comedy is a bit of a dancing bear. And I appreciated that Marvel didn’t treat me that way. It was very much about the writing." (She added: "There just aren’t enough women getting the chance to work in this genre and I hope this is the start of a larger trend.")

Gunn set out to create a franchise and had given thought to Guardians 2 before he even began pre-production on Guardians 1.

After credit scene:
That duck's name is Howard The Duck. He's a bit of an obscured Marvel character, although he did have a movie made by George Lucas back in the 80's (which technically put him in as probably the first Marvel character who got a big screen treatment).

Thanks for explaining. I read somewhere that he would appear after the credits but I have no clue who he is. Take it he'll be getting a reboot/comic series now?

Maybe Mal? No aliens in his 'Verse' perhaps?

And in that same theme of our favourite Space Outlaws, here's a quickie of their steeds:

GOTG-COMBO-FLAT.jpg

Hey I know Star Lord has only recently become popular but I think he deserves his place beside those other two iconic characters.

:oldrazz:

Hey I know Star Lord has only recently become popular but I think he deserves his place beside those other two iconic characters.

:oldrazz:

Pratt's Star Lord became more iconic than Fillion's Mal on the first weekend lol.

Thanks for explaining. I read somewhere that he would appear after the credits but I have no clue who he is. Take it he'll be getting a reboot/comic series now?

I don't think Howard will ever get his own movie again. The only context he can appear in is cameos like this.

A new comic series... hard to say. Marvel just announced a Howard omnibus, probably to take advantage of the publicity the 3 second appearance on GotG got him. The original HtD run was incredibly funny, smart, and completely absurdist. The book heavily parodied both comic books themselves as well as the real world at the time. It was quite popular among the jaded post-hippie generation and there was even a "Howard for President" campaign in 1976 in which Howard received thousands of write in votes in the general election.

However, the book was also kind of a thing for its time. Something that could only work in that period and only with Steve Gerber. I'm not sure a new run would be able to capture that. Especially as Howard has kind of become a huge joke in the MU.

I don't think Howard will ever get his own movie again. The only context he can appear in is cameos like this.

A new comic series... hard to say. Marvel just announced a Howard omnibus, probably to take advantage of the publicity the 3 second appearance on GotG got him. The original HtD run was incredibly funny, smart, and completely absurdist. The book heavily parodied both comic books themselves as well as the real world at the time. It was quite popular among the jaded post-hippie generation and there was even a "Howard for President" campaign in 1976 in which Howard received thousands of write in votes in the general election.

However, the book was also kind of a thing for its time. Something that could only work in that period and only with Steve Gerber. I'm not sure a new run would be able to capture that. Especially as Howard has kind of become a huge joke in the MU.

Hm, thank you for telling me more. I don't know why he was there for the three seconds or why they decided to make that scene in the first place. Most people didn't even find it funny. I have heard about an omnibus series but that's about it.

Hm, thank you for telling me more. I don't know why he was there for the three seconds or why they decided to make that scene in the first place. Most people didn't even find it funny. I have heard about an omnibus series but that's about it.

It's just an Easter Egg, a cool cameo, nothing more.

THIS WEEK IN COMICS! (8/6/14 – $94.3 million to spend on comics.)
JOE MCCULLOCH said:
Nonetheless, I was impressed by how much Guardians of the Galaxy manages to evoke a very fundamental aspect of the Marvel creation story: that Marvel’s is the world outside your window, and that its appeal comes from the relatability of its flawed, bickering superhumans. I won’t be the first to observe that the Guardians film is just as much a stealthy take on the Fantastic Four, its primary thematic concern being that of family, and how rejected, mutated, weird people can find love in the company of one another, no matter how much they seem to fight on the surface – this is also, perhaps, a unifying narrative for superhero fandom. But Gunn’s direction goes a little deeper. Not only do these characters squabble before saving the day, but they are given to involuntary bits of physical business that puncture the epic nature of the plot: Gamora, daughter of Thanos, fails to stifle a yawn during the team’s big Michael Bay march into action; Star-Lord picks up an important space object, only to drop it and pick it up again (in what looks like a blown take wisely kept as-is); Rocket Raccoon adjusts his junk under his clingy space pants, raising a pretty huge laugh from the eagle-eyed in my theater. I’m glad somebody animated that.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Never Gets Made If Marvel Has The X-Men And Fantastic Four Movie Rights
Nick Tylwalk said:
Okay, maybe not never. As a big chunk of the general public knows now, Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Groot and the gang are good characters, and Marvel may well have figured out that they were ripe for movie stardom at some point.

But if you’ve been following the stories that Bleeding Cool has been running about Marvel’s current reluctance to emphasize the X-Men or the Fantastic Four, it leads you to only one conclusion: Guardians of the Galaxy fans have 20th Century Fox to thank for the movie getting made.

Consider an alternate universe where Marvel retains the X-Men and FF movie rights. They would both be priorities for Marvel Studios since they each have 50-plus years of publication history behind them and the name recognition that comes with it. We’ll say for the sake of argument that the Fantastic Four franchise would be much healthier than it currently is, a.k.a. not in need of its upcoming reboot.

In our parallel dimension, we’re still headed for a storyline that involves the Infinity Stones coming together, and characters like Thanos, Drax, Gamora and Nebula are all still involved. But this time, the Silver Surfer and Adam Warlock are big players, springing from the FF brand. As an added bonus, Galactus is something cooler than a big cloud.

Mark Millar Says Fox’s MCU Is Equal to Marvel Studios’
Sarah Moran said:
The debate over which studio produces the best movies based on Marvel Comics’ characters is a heated one. So much so that some fans suggest that things would be better were all the film rights held by only one studio. Millar, however, disagrees, and with good reason:

“You know, they’ll talk about Marvel, ‘Wouldn’t it be brilliant to have everything back under one roof?’ I always say, ‘You would have less movies coming out.’ People don’t realize this. No studio is going to bring out more than three or four movies a year. So you have Guardians of the Galaxy this year, you do Fantastic Four next year. So I think the system we’ve got right now is great. And I’m having a nice time with these guys [at Fox].”

Last edited:

Exactly...

Star Lord > Those other dudes

Add in Lonestar and it's perfect. :o
There is a whole sequence right after Peter escapes Morag that felt very familiar to me.

His ship flies off with rock music playing. He finds a girl that he doesn't remember was on the ship. He watches a news report on galactic events. And then gets a call from a gangster demanding something from him.

The whole thing gave me a very strong Spaceballs/Lone Star vibe.

(And before anyone says it yes I know Spaceballs is just a parody of Star Wars and other films)

http://io9.com/just-a-few-months-ago-everybody-was-writing-about-how-1617011259 :jedi

From a poster:

For me its all the story, kid loses his mom to cancer, gets abducted grows up to be indiana jones of space, 70s soul music, adorable characters, crazy characters, good comedy. Mythology. All we really want is a greek tradgey/comedy.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Stan Lee's cameo

I thought he wasn't gonna appear in this one

just new verions of the old gif i made with comic thanos in his flying chair. this is movie thanos. thanos quest
dOXyjF1.gif

just saw it. the best marvel flick, imo. and i don't know that it's that close.

it takes marvel's tried and true formula and brings it to another level. a bit fresher, funnier, and more heartfelt than the others. loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"