Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be alone in this but am I the only one who thinks
that the gem in GotG was the soul gem? It seemed like only the strong willed could harness the power the gem, which is why the collector's slave blew up, and why Ronan could wield it. And when starlord had it it was the combined wills of the Guardians that allowed them to hold it.
I could be wrong though.

that the gem in GotG was the soul gem? It seemed like only the strong willed could harness the power the gem, which is why the collector's slave blew up, and why Ronan could wield it. And when starlord had it it was the combined wills of the Guardians that allowed them to hold it.
I could be wrong though.

I think the soul gem has to belong to Adam Warlock.

I could be wrong though.

Can't the Soul Gem

Attack the soul of anyone and can collect and trap souls in limbo. Doesn't sound like the gem we saw in Guardians of the Galaxy

Alright cool, just wondered if it was possible, but I understand better now.

Box office mojo is estimating a $95 million opening weekend. :O

Good. The budget was only 135 Million, so I don't see this having any problem soaring past that. Especially since August is pretty much dead in terms of movies.

Why would he do that? He didn't give a damn about Earth, he just wanted the Tesseract. So he's going to give up one gem to try and acquire another and risk losing BOTH? No, Thanos is too smart for that. And Loki was controlling Selvig's mind in the Thor post-credit scene and he didn't have the scepter there.

Box office mojo is estimating a $95 million opening weekend. :O

I have a feeling to it could finish a bit higher than that, this will get excellent WOM.

If it can hold 50% or better next week, I think it will beat TMNT, which I expect to be in the 40M range.

You are forgetting that Staff was a Gift from Thanos in the 1st place so it's not out of the logical ablity that it has a infinty stone.

It obviously have some kind of power in it because TWS spoiler

In the mid-credits scene of Captain America: The Winter Soldier on one of the monitors in the background, the Staff can be seen being taken apart piece by piece, digitally, hinting at the possibility that the stone inside the staff is capable of being separate from the staff itself

Now for all we know that could be the Space Gem rather than the mind gem but I still think a gem is in the staff

Saw it last night at drive-in, great movie! There as lightning crackling through the sky throughout the movie, with little to no thunder. Freaking awesome! Till the last five minutes then it bust out raining lol. Really fun movie! Loved everyone but Gamora. She was kinda weak toast. Drax rules though!

You are forgetting that Staff was a Gift from Thanos in the 1st place so it's not out of the logical ablity that it has a infinty stone.

It obviously have some kind of power in it because TWS spoiler

In the mid-credits scene of Captain America: The Winter Soldier on one of the monitors in the background, the Staff can be seen being taken apart piece by piece, digitally, hinting at the possibility that the stone inside the staff is capable of being separate from the staff itself

Now for all we know that could be the Space Gem rather than the mind gem but I still think a gem is in the staff

I think Feige already confirmed the Tesseract is
the 'space 'gem'. Loki's staff could well be the mind stone, since it did take over minds, but it seems a little off that Thanos would risk a stone like that? The Aether...I dunno what that one is...'Reality' Gem equivalent perhaps? (could alter matter and destroy the universe). GOTG's orb I think is the power stone? Anyhoo, the Soul and Time Gem equivalents are still out there assuming the others have been accounted for.

Saw this yesterday. Absolutely loved it. Such a great great time all round. The film starts at such a pace and never lets up and sets such a specific tone that you've either gotta accept or you'll never quite get into it. All the main crew were great and the comedy elements were spot on.

If I were to rank the MCU films right now it would be
Avengers
Guardians
Winter Soldier
IM1
T:TDW
CA: TFA
Iron Man 2
Thor
Hulk
IM3

if we'e doing rankings

Avengers
TWS
IM1
GOTG
CATFA
IM3
TDW
Thor
IM2
TIH

Hm, I see what you mean. Age of Ultron pretty much sells itself, but there's a huge break between now and AoU. We need something to hold us over.

We do. Well I do I dunno if you're a fan of AOS. And Agent Carter starts too so. There's those 2 things to hold us over til AOU. That is, if you're a fan of the shows.

You guys are forgetting that in the scene with the collector they showed that all six stones were different colors. The scepter and the tesseract are the same color, therefore it is not a stone (unless they pull some color change shenanigans).

Also, in the same scene they showed the current form of the stones we have seen so far (the tesseract and the aether) and the scepter was not shown.

They could explain these things away, but as of what we know now I think it is safe to say that the scepter is not an infinity stone. A powerful weapon, yes, but not a stone by itself.

EDIT: the scepter could actually be part of the tesseract. The back door, so to speak. After all, they were able to tap into the cube to teleport Loki (and staff) from across the galaxy. And as Hawkeye said: "doors open both ways".

Last edited:
They haven't shown the staff yet because they haven't fully revealed it yet. My guess they might reveal it in AOU that the staff has a gem in it who really knows.

I honestly think this has eclipsed Avengers for me. Something I didn't think anything but Avengers 2 could do.

Guardians of the Galaxy 10/10
Avengers 10/10
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9/10
Iron Man 9/10
Iron Man 3 8/10
Thor 8/10
Captain America: The First Avenger 8/10
Iron Man 2 7/10
Thor: The Dark World 5.5/10
The Incredible Hulk 5/10

If I were to rank the MCU films right now it would be
Avengers
Guardians
Winter Soldier
IM1
T:TDW
CA: TFA
Iron Man 2
Thor
Hulk
IM3

Winter Soldier
Iron Man 3
First Avenger
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
The Dark World
Iron Man 2
Avengers

Loved all of them besides Avengers, and really loved everything Thor and above.

They haven't shown the staff yet because they haven't fully revealed it yet. My guess they might reveal it in AOU that the staff has a gem in it who really knows.

Maybe, but they would then have to explain the color change, and why Thanos was dumb enough to entrust a stone to Loki.

You could be right... But I feel it would be quite a stretch given what we know at this point.

Winter Soldier
Iron Man 3
First Avenger
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
The Dark World
Iron Man 2
Avengers

Loved all of them besides Avengers, and really loved everything Thor and above.

Wow this is the first time I've seen someone who liked quite a few of MCU films but not Avengers. What made so poor for you?

Saw Guardians yesterday, holy jeez. I had very high expectations, I read all of the books of the volume 3 series of GOTG, really knew my **** going in and they pulled it off BIG TIME. For the least sure bet of a hit Marvel really really really pulled it off and its going to pay off in spades. I was a little mixed after it ended but it just needed a few hours to sink in what I just saw.

The crucial ending with Quill's "distraction" may be the most absurd and hilarious thing I've seen in the MCU. The stand outs were Ronan, the guy WAS Ronan, totally believable character, as far as immersion into a character Pace pulled off a Ledger Joker like portrayal. The other standout was Drax, I didn't expect much out of Batista but good lord he stole the show. His lines were the funniest in the movie with the dry humor and "over his head" dialogue. I only say those 2 bc Pratt, Cooper, and Diesel were expected to give good performances already which they did.

If I had to rank all the films in the MCU I would say it goes like this:
1. The Avengers
2. The Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Iron Man
5. Iron Man 3
6. Thor
7. Captain America First Avenger
8. Thor 2
9. Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 2

I'm assuming Avengers 2 will take the 1st or 2nd spot once it comes out but wow....we waited a long time for this kind of filmmaking from Marvel, they have free reign in my book they can do no wrong at this point.

Wow this is the first time I've seen someone who liked quite a few of MCU films but not Avengers. What made so poor for you?

Not a fan of Whedon's style. Same reason I'm not into SHIELD I guess. Really excited about Agent Carter though.

UGH.... Spoiler tags are killing me!

24 hours until I get to see this finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"