Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. The budget was only 135 Million, so I don't see this having any problem soaring past that. Especially since August is pretty much dead in terms of movies.

Only 135 million... Damn it looked better than that :wow:! I guess most of the actors came cheap(ish)?

I was about to say, the budget was really only $135mil? The SFX team deserves some more kudos for the amount of work they did for the movie. :up:

Took my sister and cousin to see this today. My 3rd time seeing it. :D
Now I'm done til the blu-ray. lol

The First Gem is the Space Gem, which opens Portals in Space (Think Teleportation as in Star Trek). It has been seen in Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, and the Avengers Movie. It was last seen in Odin's Vault on Asgard.

The Second Gem was the Mind Gem, which allows its bearer to mind control anyone it touches. It is the gem that was in Loki's Staff in the Avengers and the gem that so many people were upset about (including Jeremy Renner) since it made Hawkeye basically a puppet for most of the Movie. It is believed to be somewhere within S.H.I.E.L.D But since Shield is gone who knows where it is now.

The Third Gem we have seen to date (If you have watched Thor:The Dark World) is the Power Gem which basically turns Matter into Dark Matter. As as we all know The Collector is holding on to this one.

The Fourth Gem is the Reality Gem and if you saw GOTG you know the power of that gem
and it is now with the Nova Core.

So 4 Gems none of which or in Thanos possession.

For the last time Loki's staff is NOT a gem. they showed the colors of all the gems in GOTG too and only one is blue.

Also wouldn't turning matter into dark matter be more reality altering and the power to destroy anything it touches more... power related?

For the last time Loki's staff is NOT a gem. they showed the colors of all the gems in GOTG too and only one is blue.

Then why is it being taken apart in the After Credits of TWS. Obviously something is in that staff that Strucker is trying to get.

Also wouldn't turning matter into dark matter be more reality altering and the power to destroy anything it touches more... power related?

I was corrected Early

The Tesseract- Space Gem
The Ather- Reality Gem
GOTG- Power Gem

Then why is it being taken apart in the After Credits of TWS. Obviously something is in that staff that Strucker is trying to get.
Probably trying to see how the staff works so that he can make more weapons like it...

Only 135 million... Damn it looked better than that :wow:! I guess most of the actors came cheap(ish)?

I read somewhere that GOTG's budget is 170 mil, not 135.

We don't know, he could be using it to control the twins or part of his experiments. just because an object is useful doesn't make it an infinity stone

Pretty sure the movie had a $175m budget. If it was $135m, Gunn is a godamned miracle worker . As are the fx folks.

Pretty sure the movie had a $175m budget. If it was $135m, Gunn is a godamned miracle worker .

Considering the challenges he would have had to make this crazy film work, he's already one :woot:

Pretty sure the movie had a $175m budget. If it was $135m, Gunn is a godamned miracle worker . As are the fx folks.

GL had a higher budget than GOTG and still turned out to be a turd. It doesn't matter what the budget is, but how you use it.

I think the budget was between $170 and $175 million, yes. But even with that budget, what they did is pretty impressive. All the make up, all the costumes, all the sets, 2 MAIN characters are full CGI, like most of the environments, the aerial battles.
I was impressed, honestly.

I think the budget was between $170 and $175 million, yes. But even with that budget, what they did is pretty impressive. All the make up, all the costumes, all the sets, 2 MAIN characters are full CGI, like most of the environments, the aerial battles.
I was impressed, honestly.

GOTG has two full CGI creatures and made them very lifelike, and Cooper and Diesel made them believable. GL had CGI outfit but they couldn't even do that well.

Just got out of this, and good god was it fantastic. I loved it!

Even if it is not a stone, it is still a powerful weapon. Plus in Avengers it was said to be a part of the tesseract ("the tesseract... She can't defend against herself") that was the whole point of the scepter closing the portal thing.

I must say I was thoroughly entertained by this film. Outstanding effects and great story with interesting character development. Better than I thought it would be. I never knew anything about the Guardians but this film has made me a fan in two hours. Marvel has outdone itself yet again. 9.5/10 for me.

After seeing GotG a second time, I think I can now say I am in love. I can also now see exactly why this might be Marvel’s biggest crowd pleaser. The movie is unabashedly joyous. You can’t help but smile, laugh, sigh and just be happy throughout. Looking at TWS and GotG, both are the best examples of Marvel films accomplishing exactly what they set out to do. GotG is like Han Solo or Indiana Jones, where TWS is more like Luke Skywalker.

GotG is all about reliving those childhood fantasies. Its one and only job is to entice your base emotions, to thrill you and make you happy. It is goofy, it is fun, it will make you gasp, it will make you go “ah” and in the end it leaves a goofy smile on your face. It is the film embodiment of Han Solo.

TWS is more like Luke Skywalker. More meditative, more of a thinker, more of a honest harder work, and a bit deeper on an emotional level. It is Luke at the end of RotJ, throwing down his saber. It has that kind of confidence.

Depending on which you prefer, that will be the one you will probably like best, but both are gems.

I ranked this film at ****1/2 out of ***** over on my Letterboxd account, and 9/10 on here. I thought it was an excellent film. But the more I think about it, and the more I recall all the awesome moments, I'm starting to think I may have underrated it! I'll need to view it a second time to be sure.

All of these reviews from you guys are making me more and more excited for the movie, I really cant wait to see it now. And seeing great reviews from non fans makes me think I will love this even more as I know these characters a lot.

Saw it today and will say it was a very entertaining and fun movie too watch.

Need to see this again badly just for the beginning dance scene alone lmao, what a great ride man !

You guys are forgetting that in the scene with the collector they showed that all six stones were different colors. The scepter and the tesseract are the same color, therefore it is not a stone (unless they pull some color change shenanigans).

Also, in the same scene they showed the current form of the stones we have seen so far (the tesseract and the aether) and the scepter was not shown.

They could explain these things away, but as of what we know now I think it is safe to say that the scepter is not an infinity stone. A powerful weapon, yes, but not a stone by itself.

EDIT: the scepter could actually be part of the tesseract. The back door, so to speak. After all, they were able to tap into the cube to teleport Loki (and staff) from across the galaxy. And as Hawkeye said: "doors open both ways".

We don't know, he could be using it to control the twins or part of his experiments. just because an object is useful doesn't make it an infinity stone
Agree with these, I don't think the gem of Loki's staff is one of the Infinity stones. The three confirmed stones so far (Tesseract, Aether, and the one here in GotG) have all been different colors. Loki's staff is blue like the Tesseract, I think it's connected to that and is not a separate stone. It's likely being dismantled in the mid credit TWS scene as part of their study of it (how does it work, can we replicate it, etc...) - it does not necessarily make it a I-stone.

Anywho... Just got back from the movie. Loved it, much more than I was expecting to just about a year or so ago. It was a fun ride, I loved the action, the humor, the chemistry between the various characters, etc...

If I were to rank the MCU now from fav. to least fav. (after having seen it):

#1: The Avengers
#2: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
#3: Thor: The Dark World
#4: Guardians of the Galaxy
#5: Thor
#6: Iron Man/Captain America: The First Avenger (pretty much tied)
#7: Iron Man 3
#8: Iron Man 2
#9: The Incredible Hulk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member