Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasn't there an article somewhere like last week saying The Collector was either Thanos' right hand man in this or Avengers2? I didn't pay much attention to it cause idk who he is lol.

It said the Controller, who is more of an Iron Man villain and whom Shellhead can take out singlehandedly. The Collector is in completely a different league and definitely cosmic Marvel.

Korvac saga...looks like this is going to be taking more inspiration from the '69 Guardians than any of us thought...which makes sense in hindsight since they can't use any of the stories from the DnA run.The Korvac saga is also how the Guardians met the Avengers back in the 70's, so it all connects.
Why can't they use any stories from DnA?

Because Mr. Dent wants them to kill all of those characters off to give the movie "extra feels."

And then the audience don't buy into that and Marvel have killed off their golden geese.

Why can't they use any stories from DnA?
Annihilation is almost impossible to adapt anything from because of a lack of many of the cosmic characters involved (because Fox owns FF rights). Annihilation Conquest requires Ultron. And those are just the events that brought the Guardians together. The actual DnA Guardians run is pretty much completely comprised of crossover events dealing with Secret Invasion, War of Kings, and Realm of Kings, all of which can't be used for pretty obvious reasons. The only thing that can really be used in the context of this movie is some things from The Thanos Imperative and like the first three issues of Guardians.

I think they're going to use the same basic idea of the Guardians first coming together to stop a cosmic force from annihilating the galaxy like in DnA's run, but the actual meat of the story will probably come more from the '69 Guardians and 70's cosmic Starlin.

Because Mr. Dent wants them to kill all of those characters off to give the movie "extra feels."
This doesn't even make sense. If anything I would want them to be able to adapt DnA's run because the characters DO die at the end. :/

And nice hyperbole. I never said all of the characters, just Gamora or Drax. Star-Lord is obviously going to play a bigger part in the MCU and I think Rocket will be a pretty popular mascot. Plus those two are more appropriate because, you know, Thanos has actually killed them both before in the comics and they are directly connected to him.

Try harder. Also, it's not for the feels, it's to get across Thanos' character. There's literally no way you use Thanos effectively in a movie other than having him kill off a main character imo.

If you don't agree fine, I could care less. But don't twist what I said just because of that.

Last edited:
I posted this in the casting thread too, but [blackout]didn't one of the guys who saw IM3 recently keep calling Mandarin a Collector?<==his emphasis[/blackout]

I posted this in the casting thread too, but [blackout]didn't one of the guys who saw IM3 recently keep calling Mandarin a Collector?<==his emphasis[/blackout]
Mandarin is a collector of items that he conquers. Like how he takes Tony's glassess and helmet after defeating him, and is why he is such an amalgamation of cultures. Should be completely unrelated and just a term used to describe the Mandarin's war tendencies.

The Collecter being in this is very exciting news, it means they are going full on into the cosmic world and its entities, which is what I wanted them to do. I think we are almost guaranteed to see Knowere now as well.

Knowhere would be trippy on the big screen I really hope we see it.

Mandarin is a collector of items that he conquers. Like how he takes Tony's glassess and helmet after defeating him, and is why he is such an amalgamation of cultures. Should be completely unrelated and just a term used to describe the Mandarin's war tendencies.

Maybe so, but the guy made an extra effort to keep emphasizing the word "COLLECTOR."

Can we stop talking about Iron Man 3 spoilers in here please?

They're not spoilers. Everything we're talking about are in the Mandarin promotional poster and interviews with Feige from months back.

They're not spoilers. Everything we're talking about are in the Mandarin promotional poster and interviews with Feige from months back.

Either way this is a Guardians thread not Iron Man 3

Annihilation is almost impossible to adapt anything from because of a lack of many of the cosmic characters involved (because Fox owns FF rights). Annihilation Conquest requires Ultron. And those are just the events that brought the Guardians together. The actual DnA Guardians run is pretty much completely comprised of crossover events dealing with Secret Invasion, War of Kings, and Realm of Kings, all of which can't be used for pretty obvious reasons. The only thing that can really be used in the context of this movie is some things from The Thanos Imperative and like the first three issues of Guardians.

I think they're going to use the same basic idea of the Guardians first coming together to stop a cosmic force from annihilating the galaxy like in DnA's run, but the actual meat of the story will probably come more from the '69 Guardians and 70's cosmic Starlin.

Still, that doesn't make it impossible for the main idea behind those stories to be used. Exclude the characters you can't use, rework the main bad guy and move forward.

However, it seems like this will be a fairly original story that borrows elements from many stories over the years.

Korvac Saga IMO would be a much better story than Annihilation

A being so powerful he kills the guardians and the Avengers. The only thing that can defeat him in the end is love....before killing himself he brings all the characters he killed back to life.

The Korvac Saga was Marvel's first big event and IMO one of the best ever.

Either way this is a Guardians thread not Iron Man 3
We weren't talking about Iron Man 3, Crimson brought up a possible connection to the Collector from IM3. It's not wrong to talk about how elements between these films could be connected, since they are, you know, connected. It's inevitable that the topic would be brought up.

Still, that doesn't make it impossible for the main idea behind those stories to be used. Exclude the characters you can't use, rework the main bad guy and move forward.

However, it seems like this will be a fairly original story that borrows elements from many stories over the years.
That's what I meant when I said the basic idea from it could be used...which is a galactic threat. You just can't use Annihilation itself though. They'd have to rework it so much that it basically wouldn't be Annihilation anymore. And thus it's hard to even take elements from it. Not to mention the structure of some things is difficult to put in a movie in the first place.

And yes, I agree with the bottom part. I've been saying that for months.

I think Annihilation would be better off as a sequel anyway. It would be a pure sci-fi action flick.

I hope the Guardians come into combat with the Collector, and think it's just a simple case of an overzealous completist. Maybe the Collector has abducted members of the original Guardians, and someone (Yondu perhaps?) has to gather together a motley crew of individuals to rescue the original team and stop the Collector.

The Collector may have amassed a whole load of Marvel goodies (similar to the various artifacts seen in Thor) and a bunch of other cosmic characters who have been placed in suspended animation.

Then maybe, in a twist (for the audience), it turns out that the Collector is actually trying to protect the Guardians and the universe from a much greater threat - Thanos.

You don't really get these villains in these Marvel movies who have more shades of grey. They tend to be more black and white and are usually outright villainous. Here's the chance for Marvel to do something different and offer up a villain who does have more altrustic motives, even though he's going about it in not the best of ways. Then the Guardians would be conflicted as to whether or not they should help him. Maybe they decide that they don't want to in the end, because freedom is freedom, and no-one should have that right taken away.

The Collector might say that they don't know what is at stake but the Guardians might ignore the warning. Then in the end, if Thanos arrives as the big bad, they'll realise that maybe he was correct. It would be a way to not have Thanos immediately be the villain of the movie, but his presence would be felt strongly throughout because you would know how connected the Collector is to him and what his motives are for collecting.

That's what I meant when I said the basic idea from it could be used...which is a galactic threat. You just can't use Annihilation itself though. They'd have to rework it so much that it basically wouldn't be Annihilation anymore.

So....basically every comic book that is "based" on a specific storyline.:o:cwink:

Also, I know it's nitpicky but Annihilation wasn't DnA, it was Keith Giffen. They only worked on the Nova mini that lead up to it. I think Conquest is much more doable.

I hope the Guardians come into combat with the Collector, and think it's just a simple case of an overzealous completist. Maybe the Collector has abducted members of the original Guardians, and someone (Yondu perhaps?) has to gather together a motley crew of individuals to rescue the original team and stop the Collector.

The Collector may have amassed a whole load of Marvel goodies (similar to the various artifacts seen in Thor) and a bunch of other cosmic characters who have been placed in suspended animation.

Then maybe, in a twist (for the audience), it turns out that the Collector is actually trying to protect the Guardians and the universe from a much greater threat - Thanos.

You don't really get these villains in these Marvel movies who have more shades of grey. They tend to be more black and white and are usually outright villainous. Here's the chance for Marvel to do something different and offer up a villain who does have more altrustic motives, even though he's going about it in not the best of ways. Then the Guardians would be conflicted as to whether or not they should help him. Maybe they decide that they don't want to in the end, because freedom is freedom, and no-one should have that right taken away.

The Collector might say that they don't know what is at stake but the Guardians might ignore the warning. Then in the end, if Thanos arrives as the big bad, they'll realise that maybe he was correct. It would be a way to not have Thanos immediately be the villain of the movie, but his presence would be felt strongly throughout because you would know how connected the Collector is to him and what his motives are for collecting.
I hope the Guardians don't completely deal with the Collector so he can have a role in A2 though. He's primarily an Avengers villain after all.

Remember that BC article about how they got a tip that Iron Man wouldn't be as big a factor in Avengers 2 as we all might think? If the Collector is collecting Avengers it would make sense for Tony to be caput for a decent portion of the film.

So....basically every comic book that is "based" on a specific storyline.:o:cwink:
You're kind of missing my point. I'm saying even a lot of the elements from DnA's run can't be used because of what they're involved with. Neither Annihilation nor Conquest would make sense right now, nothing from them. And I mean even tidbits from them. And DnA's actual Guardians run is completely locked up in crossover events that also can't be used for even more obvious reasons. The only thing that can be used is the general, base idea of a team coming together to stop a galactic force and the characters. Which is why a lot of the story looks to be coming from 60-70's cosmic stories.

This is not the case for other things. If Marvel wanted to do a complete adaptation of Extremis or Winter Soldier, they could, for example. And indeed, a lot of elements from those two comics will be used in IM3 and Cap2. This literally can't be the case for Guardians aside from the first three issues of the book and some things in the Thanos Imperative.

Also, I know it's nitpicky but Annihilation wasn't DnA, it was Keith Giffen. They only worked on the Nova mini that lead up to it. I think Conquest is much more doable.
I brought up Annihilation because it led to all the DnA stuff, basically. Conquest doesn't happen without Annihilation.

That said, it is doable in the context of what Marvel owns but not right now, since like I said in the post, it requires Ultron.

Well I'm not really arguing against you. My first post in this discussion was about Annihilation or any of the other Guardian related stories being brought up as storylines for possible sequels. I agree, it wouldn't make sense to use any of those stories for their first movie because of everything they involve.

The possible set up storylines you guys are talking about now that can't or aren't going to be used just yet but can be adapted for Phase 3 makes me super giddy. The way I'm thinking is a semi MoE group and then ultimately Thanos ends Avengers 2, then Phase 3 takes Ultron, Korvac, and possibly Annihilius or Kang story elements.. so many possibilities!

I hope they intro Ultron in Avengers or Antman and have him be the threat in a GOTG sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"