Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/joss-whedon-to-direct-avengers-2/

Marvel Studios has weighed in with a statement that confirms the 2015 release date that Deadline had heard about the sequel to The Avengers. “Joss Whedon has signed an exclusive deal with Marvel Studios for film and television through the end of June 2015. As part of that deal, Whedon will write and direct Marvel’s The Avengers 2 as well as help develop a new live action series for Marvel Television at ABC. He will also contribute creatively to the next phase of Marvel’s cinematic universe.”

So I think it's fair to say Whedon's fingerprints will be all over this one

Awesome. This movie needs some really snappy dialogue between the characters. Maybe joss could oversee the script. And its great news to have him back for avengers 2. :up:

If Marvel can pull this off, great. But without Galactus, the Silver Surfer, and Namor, the only bankable villain that Fox would have left for F4 is Dr. Doom (I can't imagine people flocking to theaters to see the Fantastic Four take on Mole Man). If Fox goes through with this, they are effectively weakening the franchise potential for this property. The mere fact that Fox is apparently so desperate to keep Daredevil that they are willing to give up several key members of the F4 stable is truly confusing to me, as F4 is easily the more bankable property between the two.

Honestly, if I were Marvel, I'd try and shoot for the entire property. Fox seems to really want Daredevil. Put their balls in the fire.

In addition to the cosmic characters, if Marvel could get their hands on Dr. Doom - holy ****.

Then you need a better imagination. If Mole Man was taken seriously he could get butts in the seats. The character has too much potential to think like that.

I like it. Now what could that "something" be? Hmmm

Hopefully "futuristic" just means "spacey". time travel plots make me tired.

The pilot they're referring to is most likely Star-Lord right? I'm going to assume the something everyone wants are the infinity gems.

The pilot they're referring to is most likely Star-Lord right? I'm going to assume the something everyone wants are the infinity gems.

....all neatly collected on a nice shiny Gauntlet.
Thanos: "YOU KIDS GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW WITH MAH GLOVE, DAMMIT"

If the logline is accurate, then GOTG will definitely be set against the backdrop of Annihilation. Minus Annihilus, presumably. (Maybe. Maybe not.) Instead, the focus could be on the Phalanx vs. the Kree.

Last edited:
Sounds so far so good, though it's not really much to go on.

Hmm... sounds suspiciously like Farscape.

True "My name is Peter Quill, a radiation wave hit and I got shot through a wormwhole to a distant part of the galaxy aboard this ship of escaped prisoners, I'm being hunted by an insane commander..." :yay:

But you can also discribe Farscape in a way that makes it sound extremely like Stargate, Voyager, BSG, Firefly, Lost in Space, Star Wars....... etc and those projects are very different in how they turned out. It's not the plotline, it's how you execute it that makes the movie. This movie will probably end up more comparable to "Avengers in Space" than anything else.

I'm calling it now: The Guardians have Thanos. LR said to read Thanos Imperative as an idea for how GOTG would turn out, and that begins with Thanos in the hands of the GOTG.

That's why it's pretty obvious what the GOTG has "that everybody wants." It's either the Tesseract (again? audiences should be tired of that macguffin by now) or the Gauntlet (which gets teased briefly in a post-cred in Thor: The Dark World).

Could be the cocoon of Adam Warlock

A US pilot? I'd read that Quill was originally an astronaut who was... recruited?... on a space station. I was looking forward to a sweeping opening scene set in earth orbit, with a Shuttle or other spacecraft (maybe a SpaceX Dragon) docking at the ISS. Oh well...

Last edited:
I know I'm dreaming but it'd be cool if the pilot was Carol Danvers.

Then she could join the Avengers as Ms. Marvel and that would sort of be the GOTG presence in the Avengers sequel.

Well, in the concept art for GotG Star-Lord didn't look like a "Carol"... But that's an interesting idea.

Well, in the concept art for GotG Star-Lord didn't look like a "Carol"... But that's an interesting idea.

There's nothing saying that Star-Lord is the pilot. It's only speculation (logical at that).

In my mind having Gamora, Drax, Groot, Rocket and Star-Lord as the established Guardians that Carol ends up with would be cool and refreshing as it's not something that we've seen in the comics.

They could be making Quill a pilot so that Carol is his buddy that he has to come back to Earth to warn/save in a later movie

A US pilot? I'd read that Quill was originally an astronaut who was... recruited?... on a space station. I was looking forward to a sweeping opening scene set in earth orbit, with a Shuttle or other spacecraft (maybe a SpaceX Dragon) docking at the ISS. Oh well...
Well it's not to late for them to go for that. I also think story wise and visually the NASA angle works a lot better.

Hopefully "futuristic" just means "spacey". time travel plots make me tired.
I hope so too, but if "futuristic" actually means "from the future," could Kang possibly be brought into the discussion? I know he's maybe third or fourth on the line of favorites for the Avengers 2 threat, but this is the first I've heard of "the future" being mentioned in the context of this particular team.

I'd rather tie Carol into SWORD than have her be a pilot as per-traditional story. It makes introducing her easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"