Marvel TV Series Guardians of the Galaxy on Disney+

Groot looks terrible. It looks like he's wearing football pads!

How did we go from this:

main-qimg-083d065cfe5acc9e3e6c3d313af65ea0-lq

To this:

groot.png
Awkward teenage years? Plus, it's a different Groot.

Anyway, I enjoyed the trailer a lot. This feels like a cheesy, forced Christmas episode of a TV show but on a higher budget. It has the characters I like. I wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking* and I'm still not. But I'm expecting a good time.

* Part of me did wonder if this was going to resolve the Gamora plot since I know Gunn said he didn't have to change the script for Guardians 3 much in response to Endgame, but I suspect the consequences of Infinity War and Endgame were already known when he wrote that script.

"The internet is like Groundhog Day every time I point out first Groot died. Baby Groot has a different personality, a different body, no memories of adult Groot & adult Groot’s sacrifice actually meant something. New round of news stories & collective gasping again & again." - James Gunn

I am going to predict that out of all of the new Christmas movies I will be watching, this will be the best one, because it won't have any of the tropes I mentioned earlier. I don't know the schedule of Christmas movies for Hallmark or Lifetime, but if I had to guess it's either "royal from fictional European country falls in love with an American woman while visiting America during Christmas" or "high profile woman from the city (celebrity, musician, businesswoman) goes to a small town and falls in love with one of the locals." Netflix has three Christmas movies coming out, two of them falling into the trope of "high profile woman goes to a small town during Christmas and falls in love with a local man" with one starring Lindsey Lohan and the other starring Freddie Prinze Jr., and a third is a Dutch movie which is a sequel that fits the trope of "kid joins forces with someone related to Christmas to save Christmas"

This one will be different, and I like a Christmas movie that is different.

"The internet is like Groundhog Day every time I point out first Groot died. Baby Groot has a different personality, a different body, no memories of adult Groot & adult Groot’s sacrifice actually meant something. New round of news stories & collective gasping again & again." - James Gunn

Wow! Never seen that quote before. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Forget everything I've said. lol

Wow! Never seen that quote before. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Forget everything I've said. lol

Well, since James Gunn said that before, he doesn't need to explain now why Adult Groot looks different.

Awkward teenage years? Plus, it's a different Groot.

Anyway, I enjoyed the trailer a lot. This feels like a cheesy, forced Christmas episode of a TV show but on a higher budget. It has the characters I like. I wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking* and I'm still not. But I'm expecting a good time.

* Part of me did wonder if this was going to resolve the Gamora plot since I know Gunn said he didn't have to change the script for Guardians 3 much in response to Endgame, but I suspect the consequences of Infinity War and Endgame were already known when he wrote that script.
Yeah, certainly looks fun, and I doubt it’s aiming for much more than that.

I’m sure anyone creating a future film would be informed of anything major affecting the characters they are intending to use.

This looks great
Low budget compared to the movies? Yeah but thats kind of the point
Gunn has repeatedly referred to the Star Wars holiday special which was extremely cheap compared to the films... or even if you look at Peacemaker compared to Suicide Squad. It's gonna have charm out the ass and that's all that I need for a fun little meaningless holiday special.

This looks great
Low budget compared to the movies? Yeah but thats kind of the point
Gunn has repeatedly referred to the Star Wars holiday special which was extremely cheap compared to the films... or even if you look at Peacemaker compared to Suicide Squad. It's gonna have charm out the ass and that's all that I need for a fun little meaningless holiday special.

Most Christmas films are relatively cheap to make anyways. Home Alone was made on a budget of $18 million. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation had a $25 million budget. Yes, both were theatrical releases, but most Christmas movies are made with budgets under $50 million and I am of the belief that any movie that has a budget of $50 million or more is an expensive movie.

I have no idea if this going to be good, but at least it looks entertaining, and the Kevin Bacon stuff should be gold considering they are finally paying off a joke set up way back in GOTG Vol. 1.

With Gunn moving on are we expecting the Guardians to be done after GotG3 and the special or continue to make appearances?

With Gunn moving on are we expecting the Guardians to be done after GotG3 and the special or continue to make appearances?
I expect several of the members from the first movie to be done after GotG 3. Bautista and Saldaña have pretty much said outright that they'll be done, and I wouldn't be surprised if others leave too. But I expect some characters will stick around and potentially even get a 4th movie with different writer(s)/director. Characters like Mantis, Nebula, and Adam Warlock surely have a lot more left to do after the next movie. Maybe the remaining members will continue and be joined by characters like Phyla-Vell and Moondragon at some point.

I expect several of the members from the first movie to be done after GotG 3. Bautista and Saldaña have pretty much said outright that they'll be done, and I wouldn't be surprised if others leave too. But I expect some characters will stick around and potentially even get a 4th movie with different writer(s)/director. Characters like Mantis, Nebula, and Adam Warlock surely have a lot more left to do after the next movie. Maybe the remaining members will continue and be joined by characters like Phyla-Vell and Moondragon at some point.
I didn’t realise Saldana was done too. Maybe should have kept her death as is and made that her last appearance. I love Mantis lol and Nebula could have more to do. Also look forward to finally getting Warlock in the MCU. Could work with new recruits but I bet it would feel very different with Gunn gone and some of the original characters gone. I’m fine with some existing in other projects too.

new footage.
Still not impressed.
Never been a fan of Vol.2 Drax and his annoying nipples (Vol.1 Drax was cool).

I honestly hope there's no GOTG Vol. 4. Though Star Lord should definitely appear in Avengers 5/6 and possibly beyond PhasiX, to act as a supporting character in solo movies like Nova and Quasar.

Another thing: Christmas stuff isn't overly expensive to purchase, so that likely plays a role in the budget.

I think this current lineup of the Guardians is intended to end at the end of this movie. Whether we get a different lineup will likely depend on other creative developments going forward.

I really hope they use The Ramones “Merry Christmas I don’t want to fight tonight” in the special. I can see it being played when they are chasing Kevin Bacon around

Would this rule out Kevin Bacon playing a Marvel Comics character in the MCU? I thought he was great as Sebastian Shaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"