BvS Hans Zimmer & Tom Holkenborg scoring Batman v Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Giachinno would be great to have.

Vulture did an interview with Zimmer talking about the "Classic" films he's scored. Apparantly TDKR and MOS are already classics.
Hans Zimmer said:
The Dark Knight Rises

“I get a lot of **** from people who say, 'All his scores sound like Inception,' or 'All his scores sound like Batman,'” laughs Zimmer. “Well, I'm sorry, guys! I didn't know when we did Batman Begins that it was going to turn into nine years of having to stay in that syntax and that style. Within each movie, we added something new, but the sequel thing really threw me.”

When it came to The Dark Knight Rises, the culmination of those nine years of work, Zimmer had a brand-new brainstorm: To announce the villainous Bane, he wanted a massive chant that would be brought to life by 100,000 different voices. Logistically, though, that sort of track wouldn’t be easy to set up, and if Zimmer employed even a comparatively meager 100 people on his chant, chances were high that one of them might leak something from the super-secret production. “At the same time, it was important to Chris that the Bane character not be first revealed by somebody taking a dodgy picture with their iPhone on the set,” says Zimmer. So they came up with a neat trick: Nolan and Zimmer launched a website featuring the chant and embedded it full of secret messages that, when run through a spectograph and typed on Twitter, would reveal the first official image of Bane pixel by pixel.

“Now that the chant was out there in the world, I said, ‘I want my 100,000 people,’ recalls Zimmer. “So I thought, why don’t I just break the fourth wall and reach out to the fans? By this point, I was so familiar with the fans and I felt they were really part of making this movie anyway, so we did this thing on the Internet where they could put on their headphones and just do the chant at home at their computer and send it in. And I would literally line up 100,000 tracks of all our fans doing the chant ... I never knew we were going to spend nine years of our lives doing Batman, so it was important to me that the last one was inclusive, that the doors were open. The people who had loved it and supported us could actually be part of it.”

Hans Zimmer said:
Man of Steel

Zimmer has been working on his craft for decades, but it wasn’t until he took on comic-book projects like The Dark Knight and Man of Steel that he noticed he had attracted an unusually ardent fan base. “You go on to Amazon.com and you see what people write about the soundtrack, and you’re actually having this rather intimate conversation without ever knowing this person, just by seeing how they respond to your music,” he says. Still, though Zimmer has a godlike rep with most comic-book fans, he bristles when some of those heavily invested listeners use their passion to pan him. “I am human, and so some of the flak really hurts,” he says. “It gets under my skin. You have two choices: Don’t read any of it, or read it. And if you read it, you’ve got to read the bad with the good.”

The tricky thing with comic book movies like Man of Steel, says Zimmer, is that though an audience may think they want an ultrafaithful adaptation, the filmmaker’s responsibility is to take chances — and sometimes, those chances don’t go over well with angry fanboys. “I get a lot of that,” Zimmer admits. “Look at poor Ben Affleck! And honestly, there was some really nasty stuff going on when Chris cast Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Knight, because everybody was saying that only Jack Nicholson could do it. But here’s the truth about what my job is: Our job as filmmakers is never to ask an audience, ‘What is it you would like to see?’ because then they go, ‘I don’t know ... Indiana Jones 5 or Star Wars 27?’ Because it’s not their job to come up with an original way of thinking about it, or a new subject. It’s our job, to surprise them.”

http://www.vulture.com/2013/11/hans-zimmer-on-the-classic-films-hes-scored.html

Good interview. You can tell Zimmer listens to all the negativity thrown his way. It doesn't seem to effect his performance enough to switch up his style, so I'm not even sure why he bothers with it.

However you feel about his music, it's hard to deny Zimmer is a likable guy. There's an honesty and enthusiasm that's very relatable and rare.

Michael Giachinno would be great to have.

I like Giacchino, but his kind of sound is wearing thin on me. He's good, but I want to see newer or little-known talent get more gigs. It's great he's still going for the traditional orchestral style -- and he's a 'safe' choice if directors want something like it.

However you feel about his music, it's hard to deny Zimmer is a likable guy. There's an honesty and enthusiasm that's very relatable and rare.
Agreed. I love listening/reading his views on things.

Really looking forward to his TASM2 score.

Yeah. I always like seeing interviews of him. I want to hear his absolute best, and there are hints of that in MOS. I just feel like he's overtaxed right now. I feel like if he took a shortish break, his composing would be more relaxed as well.

One of the few quibbles with the MOS score is the lengthy title 'What are you going to do when you are not saving the World'. Something shorter like 'Welcome to the Planet' would have been ideal. :hehe:

Agreed. I love listening/reading his views on things.

I really like Zimmer too... he's pretty relaxed and seems easy to talk to. It's just his recent composing output that worries me.

Whereas I hope Zimmer does return, if he doesn't then I hope that they give Tyler Bates a chance. I was honestly a little disappointed when he didn't end up scoring MOS. I think he's a very talented composer who deserves to break out of his shell with a project this large.

Maybe GOTG will be that movie, but tbh nothing written by Bates has impressed me yet. I think he'd be step down after Zimmer even.

I'm kinda hoping Hans keeps his Batman theme for the new movie, I'm used to it by now and gets me pumped up when it kicks in.

Heck no. Hans is too talented to not use him for another theme. I want to hear an even more somber, beautiful batman instead of the blasting theme in the dark knight. I don't want an action theme, but more of a depressing theme.

^ I think Howard Shore would have a great haunting theme for Batman. I also think that JNH and even Elfman could do a good quieter spooky theme.

I personally think Zimmer's next Batman theme will be BLASTING.

No offense, but the mentality of wanting a Zimmer score unlike much of his bombastic work imply that one wants someone different, but is afraid of there being less thematic material in the score if someone else takes over.

But I could be wrong :p

And John Powell did a great job of combining broodiness and action for his Bourne scores. He'd be my pic for the next composer :)

Folks why are many of you against these classic themes.

[YT]https://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=w3l8HLHwXK8[/YT]

or this....

[YT]https://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=pSVNXvcmzkw[/YT]

Or even this for Batman himself only.

[YT]https://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?p=PLEE1BF2E868ADEFCC&feature=plpp&v=sCwQzQGmbLs[/YT]

I say forget Zimmer and get Elfman, Williams, and Clement instead.

Good news. It's good to have a sense of continuity to a film series' music.

It'll be intersting to see Zimmer's second take on a Batman theme. I liked his Nolan scores, but I think they were lacking in the ominous tones that lend themselves so well to Batman. Personally I think Shirley Walker's score for Mask of the Phantasm was the best Batman theme we ever got.

Good news guys!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/298859-hans-zimmer-will-return-to-score-batman-vs-superman

One of the major uncertain factors for Warner Bros.' upcoming Batman vs. Superman, nearly from the start, has been whether composer Hans Zimmer will return to provide the score for the film. Zimmer previously mentioned that he was leaning towards not doing it, as he didn't want to retread any of the territory he may have gone into when he scored Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy.

Now, speaking with Digital Spy, Zimmer has confirmed that he will in fact return to score the highly-anticipated Man of Steel follow-up after finishing work on Christopher Nolan's Interstellar.

"We've already had a couple of chats," Zimmer said. "And once I finish the movie that I shall not talk about I will probably head over to where Zack is shooting his movie and just hang out a bit and see if we can come up with any ideas."

Written by Chris Terrio, from a screenplay by David S. Goyer, Batman vs. Superman will star Henry Cavill as Clark Kent going up against Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman with Gal Gadot set to appear as Diana Prince aka Wonder Woman. Man of Steel stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane will also reprise their roles along with series newcomers ​Holly Hunter, Callan Mulvey, Tao Okamoto, with Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, and Jeremy Irons as Alfred. The Zack Snyder-directed film is set to open on May 6, 2016.

Folks why are many of you against these classic themes.

[YT]w3l8HLHwXK8[/YT]

or this....

[YT]pSVNXvcmzkw[/YT]

Or even this for Batman himself only.

[YT]sCwQzQGmbLs[/YT]

I say forget Zimmer and get Elfman, Williams, and Clement instead.

fixed

Last edited:
This is great news indeed.

When I heard they weren't using John William's iconic theme song for MOS, I was a little bummed. But when I heard Hans Zimmer's new theme, I was glad they did! I was completely blown away, such a grand and uplifting theme.

He better do something different to TDK for the Batman theme. Something very different and not just what sounds like a variation.

[YT]ajfvO5cvk-g[/YT]

Just picture the first 30 seconds of his HFRO theme applied to Batman.

Something using a choir would be so good. Batman's dark and ominous tone just lends it self so well to a choir.

So glad to hear he's back, his work on MOS was superb. It'll be interesting to see how he approaches Batman this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"