The Dark Knight Harvey Dent/Two Face Thread

^ i concur, though with slightly less fervor.

p.s. love your avvy

In terms of realism, I think it also made sense that Harvey died. I've seen some posts that the face wasn't realistic and that there should have been some kind of scarring. I'm no expert, but it looked pretty real to me. He looked like he had just been brought to the hospital, the irrevocably damaged tissue had been removed, and then it was cleaned up as much as possible, given that he wouldn't accept skin grafts. Some posts indicated that he couldn't have survived in that condition. He didn't. He seems to have only lived 24 hours (perhaps less) from the time of the accident. I agree with the point that it would have been harder for him to survive like that for months, let alone years, without some other kind of treatment, although obviously they could have worked something like that in.

The time frame for both BB and TDK seems really compressed. For example from the time of Harvey's press conference confessing to being the Batman till his death, looks like only about a day and a half: Daytime press conference, transported that evening (joker is caught), later that night Joker tells where he and Rachel are, Harvey is half killed, the next day Joker visits him in the hospital, that afternoon he kills the cop in the bar, he kills Maroni's driver, that evening he slugs Ramirez, late that night (after the Joker is caught), he threatens Jim's family and dies in the fall.

The time frame for both BB and TDK seems really compressed. For example from the time of Harvey's press conference confessing to being the Batman till his death, looks like only about a day and a half: Daytime press conference, transported that evening (joker is caught), later that night Joker tells where he and Rachel are, Harvey is half killed, the next day Joker visits him in the hospital, that afternoon he kills the cop in the bar, he kills Maroni's driver, that evening he slugs Ramirez, late that night (after the Joker is caught), he threatens Jim's family and dies in the fall.
I think we determined that the time frame between the end of BB and the start of TDK was 9 months to a year, and that TDK actually occurs within a 3-week period.

But of course all the crazy stuff that you described happens within 48 hours. :funny: Poor Batman and Gordon need some sleep, dammit!

While I felt Aaron Eckhart sold the tragic downfall in TDK, I still would have preferred to have had Harvey Dent in "BATMAN BEGINS" as a major player, especially with that magnificent bastard Aaron Eckhart playing him. Seeing him rise to DA in BB would have added something more to the tragedy of losing him to the dark side in TDK. Make Rachel Dent's wife or fiance as well as his co-worker while severing her connection to Bruce so Bruce can have some time to himself as the lone wolf hero rising. The lone hero needs some space to actually be lone.

That and it does get kind of old after a while, the whole "Batman/whatever hero can't have his girlfriend" thing, since it was pretty much flogged to death in previous films.

I just want to throw a few idea out there.

Not having Harvey as DA in BB. I think it worked because the death of the original DA shows just how dangerous a place Gotham is, especially for high ranking official that don't play the game.

I just assumed Dawes took over as temporary DA until Dent was elected.

As for realism, I think it's more along the lines of trying not to be cartoony like Batman and Robin, then truely realistic. Sure, Dent couldn't live with his scars. But I could suspend my disbelief for that because he look so damn cool. As for his death, even though it was in the script, it was never stated specifically in the movie that he was dead. Scripts aren't followed 100% all the time. I would be easy to bring him back in a third.

But, I wonder how much the effects cost to make his scarred face, and if that's a reason they wouldn't bring him back. They went to great lengths to not show his face or keep it in the shadows. I wonder if the effects would be too expensive to have a whole movie with Two-Face's scared face.

Not having Harvey as DA in BB. I think it worked because the death of the original DA shows just how dangerous a place Gotham is, especially for high ranking official that don't play the game.
i agree. dent was just the next in line, and as we knew, he was doomed as well.

This is probably old news but I think Damon would've made a great Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Aaron Eckhart was greater Harvey.
Nah. I like Damon, a lot actually, but I don't think he would have made a great Dent or Two-Face. Not as good as what Eckhart did, anyway.

I'm not trying to troll here. Seriously. Or make waves or be contrarian or anything.

I thought the Harvey Dent stuff was great. As well as the emotional scenes when he becomes Two-Face.

But all he does is go on a short killing spree, threaten Jim Gordon's family then gets pushed off a building my Batman. All the while, being a manipulated pawn of the Joker who was trying to destroy Gotham's faith in old symbols. I didn't mind that plot, but there is much more to Two-Face than that.

Nolan also had the opportunity to bring him back for the second movie but wasted it.

Where was the obsession with duality? All I saw was a vigilante Harvey Dent, not Two-Face.

I like how his look is closer to the comics, but it isn't realistic at all and actually looks goofy in Nolan's 'realistic' universe.

How exactly is this Two-Face any closer to the comics or better portrayed than Tommy Lee Jone's version in Batman Forever? I would really like to know.

EDIT: Should have checked that there was already a thread on this. My bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"