Watchmen HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Damon Lindelof

Spoiler-related theory/questions:

In last night's episode, they made a point of having Dr. Manhattan explicitly say that he can pass on or transfer his powers to another person if he wanted to -- which means that is exactly what will happen (or has happened) at some point, even if Dr. M himself winds up dying. He says this when talking to Angela in Vietman and uses an egg as an example for how someone could consume his power. He also says he would only do this with the other person's consent.

They could have dropped this info to simply set up Keene's plan of trying to steal Manhattan's power, although it seems like the Kalvary's method of doing this is different than how Manhattan explained it. However, I think it's also possible that Dr. Manhattan might willingly give his powers to another character somehow in the event that he dies and the Kalvary are successful in getting his power -- or he may have already done so. So if that's the case, the biggest question is which character?

The most likely candidate is Angela. After this episode, we can see that Manhattan trusts her completely and also loves her. He would likely want to help her survive in any way that he can, but I'm still having a hard time picturing it going down this way.

Another "out there" candidate could be Topher (I think that's his name?), or Angela's oldest son. Something weird and off about this kid, and they still haven't touched up the fact that he was building a castle in the first episode that closely resembles the castle Dr. M made for Veidt.

But most likely option for me is Will Reeves, and if that's the case, I'm thinking Manhattan gave Reeves his powers 10 years ago when they first met -- knowing that he would need them during the current events in Tulsa -- and right before he went on to supress his powers/memories in order to live a normal life as Cal. There was definitely more to that conversation than we were allowed to see.

Doing this would have ensured that Will Reeves would still be alive (age 105) when all this Tusla stuff goes down while hiding his "powers" in plain sight (like Manhattan did as Cal). He was also Hooded Justice, the first superhero and an honest one with mostly good intentions so this would be kind of poetic. Also, Reeves did (supposedly jokingly) say "'I'm Doctor Manhattan" early in the season. He's the one who said that Dr. Manhattan can make copies of himself and be in more place than one. When Angela was holding him hostage in her bakery, he escaped with ease. He pulled an egg (!!!) from a pot of boiling water with his hand and had no reaction. He started chugging fresh hot coffee without reacting or burning himself. Also, in this latest episode, Manhattan grabs Angela's kids and teleports them right to Will Reeves at the Tulsa theater in order to keep them safe. Why are they safer will Will Reeves than anywhere else?

Like I always say, this could be way off and not at all what will actually happen but it's definitely fun to consider. I'm going to miss this show.

Going to pick up my copy of the comic when the season is over and then rewatch it from the beginning!
I reread it over the summer and I feel like it being fresh in my mind again only enhanced my enjoyment of the show. I also read Before Watchmen and Doomsday Clock which weren't necessary but still generated hype for the show, even if they are basically alternate universe stories if we treat the show as true canon, which I do.

What a remarkably well-crafted piece of television. Here's hoping that Lindelof commits to a second season despite any claim to the contrary.
For me it depends on how it ends but I really wish we had more than 9 episodes this season. It's been a long time since I've watched a debut season of a show and I didn't want it to end. The last time that happened was probably True Detective.

j21KAGF.jpg

Just saw this now after I already posted a similar theory.

I don’t think Angela already has Manhattan’s powers, but I do think it’s very likely that she — or someone other than Keene — will get them. We’ll see.

Spoiler-related theory/questions:

In last night's episode, they made a point of having Dr. Manhattan explicitly say that he can pass on or transfer his powers to another person if he wanted to -- which means that is exactly what will happen (or has happened) at some point, even if Dr. M himself winds up dying. He says this when talking to Angela in Vietman and uses an egg as an example for how someone could consume his power. He also says he would only do this with the other person's consent.

They could have dropped this info to simply set up Keene's plan of trying to steal Manhattan's power, although it seems like the Kalvary's method of doing this is different than how Manhattan explained it. However, I think it's also possible that Dr. Manhattan might willingly give his powers to another character somehow in the event that he dies and the Kalvary are successful in getting his power -- or he may have already done so. So if that's the case, the biggest question is which character?

The most likely candidate is Angela. After this episode, we can see that Manhattan trusts her completely and also loves her. He would likely want to help her survive in any way that he can, but I'm still having a hard time picturing it going down this way.

Another "out there" candidate could be Topher (I think that's his name?), or Angela's oldest son. Something weird and off about this kid, and they still haven't touched up the fact that he was building a castle in the first episode that closely resembles the castle Dr. M made for Veidt.

But most likely option for me is Will Reeves, and if that's the case, I'm thinking Manhattan gave Reeves his powers 10 years ago when they first met -- knowing that he would need them during the current events in Tulsa -- and right before he went on to supress his powers/memories in order to live a normal life as Cal. There was definitely more to that conversation than we were allowed to see.

Doing this would have ensured that Will Reeves would still be alive (age 105) when all this Tusla stuff goes down while hiding his "powers" in plain sight (like Manhattan did as Cal). He was also Hooded Justice, the first superhero and an honest one with mostly good intentions so this would be kind of poetic. Also, Reeves did (supposedly jokingly) say "'I'm Doctor Manhattan" early in the season. He's the one who said that Dr. Manhattan can make copies of himself and be in more place than one. When Angela was holding him hostage in her bakery, he escaped with ease. He pulled an egg (!!!) from a pot of boiling water with his hand and had no reaction. He started chugging fresh hot coffee without reacting or burning himself. Also, in this latest episode, Manhattan grabs Angela's kids and teleports them right to Will Reeves at the Tulsa theater in order to keep them safe. Why are they safer will Will Reeves than anywhere else?

Like I always say, this could be way off and not at all what will actually happen but it's definitely fun to consider. I'm going to miss this show.

Really good theories here and it would explain some of the weirdness around Will (still being alive, being able to withstand scalding hot water and coffee, etc.).

For a while now Ive had this joke theory that at the last moment, as things look their most dire at the 7K headquarters, Petey, in full Lubeman getup, would somehow save the day, shoving Senator Keene out of the intrinsic field generator and accidentally becoming the new Dr. Manhattan.

Of course! The Damon Lindelof stand-in, the guy obsessed with random bits trivia, becomes an all knowing nuclear god!

I’m down for that ending but only if we’re treated to an extended scene of Lube Man sneaking in by slip-sliding through narrow ventilation ducts.

It would be like Die Hard if John McClane was wearing a full body condom.

^ Notice that Dr. Manhattan said "watch the eggs" to Angela before they fell and were smashed. He also said it was important for her to see him standing on the pool water right after that.

I can't believe that Manhattan just wanted to randomly make waffles in that moment. There must be some reason for it. Imagine if Angela goes back into the house and finds that there is one egg still intact somewhere. She eats the egg and then walks onto the pool water to confirm her new abilities...

^ Notice that Dr. Manhattan said "watch the eggs" to Angela before they fell and were smashed. He also said it was important for her to see him standing on the pool water right after that.

I can't believe that Manhattan just wanted to randomly make waffles in that moment. There must be some reason for it. Imagine if Angela goes back into the house and finds that there is one egg still intact somewhere. She eats the egg and then walks onto the pool water to confirm her new abilities...

im convinced that this is the final few minutes. Sounds perfect.

We know this season will have a very conclusive end.

But if we get a second season, I hope they invest and focus more in new original characters.

Two issues I have now:

1- I don't like the idea of Manhattan
transferring his powers (how??? They are part of his being) in such an easy and lame way... ingesting his particles what?
Don't forget the way in which Osterman became Manhattan... it's about his conscience and the whole incident.

2- How did Manhattan know that
Reeves was Hooded Justice and that he was Angela's grandfather anyway? Maybe he "tapped" those infos from his post-Calvin life (before getting hit by the cannon)?

Man, this show is impressive. The writing and storytelling is really next level, up there with Breaking Bad in regards to attention to detail and visual symbolism, but WATCHMEN!

That being said, I'm not sure I'm going to like how this ends re: Manhattan. As another poster mentioned, getting his powers from eating an egg or whatever is cheap and lazy, which this show certainly is not. Also, the fact that Jon seeks love once again cheapens the tragedy of his arc in the comic. The sad isolation that many felt for him, regardless of of his "feelings" was lessened and that was one of the more profound aspects of the graphic novel. Much like the Hooded Justice story, I'm not a big fan of the decisions that were made but they were done so well and impactful that I still consider the last few episodes some of the best T.V. I've ever seen.

My main complaint besides the aforementioned is the way Cal-Manhattan looked when he was blue. Lmao that was so goofy and I couldn't take it seriously. The bald cap, the dead eyes, the blue hue, it was failure. It would have been better with staying Cal and using the real version.

I'm pretty excited for the finale even though I do not want Manhattan to be anybody other than Jon Osterman.

Somehow, I think the golden statue is Veidt himself, in some kind of alchemy/stasis and Manhattan was working with Lady Trieu at some point, her father is either Ozy crashing down or Blake is her father and she somehow cloned him.

Man, this show is impressive. The writing and storytelling is really next level, up there with Breaking Bad in regards to attention to detail and visual symbolism, but WATCHMEN!

That being said, I'm not sure I'm going to like how this ends re: Manhattan. As another poster mentioned, getting his powers from eating an egg or whatever is cheap and lazy, which this show certainly is not. Also, the fact that Jon seeks love once again cheapens the tragedy of his arc in the comic. The sad isolation that many felt for him, regardless of of his "feelings" was lessened and that was one of the more profound aspects of the graphic novel. Much like the Hooded Justice story, I'm not a big fan of the decisions that were made but they were done so well and impactful that I still consider the last few episodes some of the best T.V. I've ever seen.

My main complaint besides the aforementioned is the way Cal-Manhattan looked when he was blue. Lmao that was so goofy and I couldn't take it seriously. The bald cap, the dead eyes, the blue hue, it was failure. It would have been better with staying Cal and using the real version.

I'm pretty excited for the finale even though I do not want Manhattan to be anybody other than Jon Osterman.

Somehow, I think the golden statue is Veidt himself, in some kind of alchemy/stasis and Manhattan was working with Lady Trieu at some point, her father is either Ozy crashing down or Blake is her father and she somehow cloned him.

Yeah, the one aspect of Jon that I’m not crazy about is him falling in love with Angela. I feel like there needed to be something more than that for him to come back to earth. Also, the mental gymnastics you have to do to understand how he fell in love with her is a bit frustrating, because if I’m understanding it right, he came back to earth because he fell in love with her, even though that hadn’t happened yet, but he knew it would happen, so he had to come back and meet her so it would happen. The way Jon experiences time creates for some interesting plot points I guess but I just felt like making it all about love was a bit weak. I’ll roll with it though because the episode was so good.

I dont see it that way : Manathan like you know, experience everything, every emotion at the same time. He was already experiencing that love. But he needed to come back to live it in the flesh. Even more, The guy was creating life and felt that it was not what he searched deep inside, it was not that satisfying anyways (with him seeing past, present, and future at the same time, he must have known that he had to do that also for Veidt, "change of heart" on Europe... and it was also a promise, that he had to honor : " create something beautiful" )... so i can understand coming back for something more powerful. Anyways, he believes in predestination, so he NEEDED to come back, so that what he must see as some arguably greater plan that surpasses us all, continue.

Last edited:
I dont see it that way : Manathan like you know, experience everything, every emotion at the same time. He was already experiencing that love. But he needed to come back to live it in the flesh. Even more, The guy was creating life and felt that it was not what he searched deep inside, it was not that satisfying anyways (with him seeing past, present, and future at the same time, he must have known that he had to do that also for Veidt, "change of heart" on Europe... and it was also a promise, that he had to honor : " create something beautiful" )... so i can understand coming back for something more powerful. Anyways, he believes in predestination, so he NEEDED to come back, so that what he must see as some arguably greater plan that surpasses us all, continue.
Angela and Doc did talk about risks. I don't remember the comics that much, but didn't Doc mention that he couldn't peer clearly through time during the squid attack? Doc in the tv series points out quite definitively that his perception of time utterly breaks down after the 7K attack. Stepping into that tachyon cannon's sight might truly have been that risk. Could that act be that risk? Does Doc have some plan outside of wanting love?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"