Here's a question...

I still don't think Spidey will punch people/villains in the new toon.

I still don't think Spidey will punch people/villains in the new toon.
I'm 90% sure he'll punch but I KNOW there won't be guns with bullets.

I mean watch The Batman or Legion of Superheroes...they both have some intense violence at least for Kids WB. I wouldn't worry about punching if I were you..

I'm 90% sure he'll punch but I KNOW there won't be guns with bullets.

I mean watch The Batman or Legion of Superheroes...they both have some intense violence at least for Kids WB. I wouldn't worry about punching if I were you..
Agreed, and it's obvious he will punch and kick because in the trailer he kicked that thug.

i know yu will usally see me in the iron man section but i'm a big fan of spidey but didn't they mention that he was going to use web shooters that what i heard at comic-con :word:

i know yu will usally see me in the iron man section but i'm a big fan of spidey but didn't they mention that he was going to use web shooters that what i heard at comic-con :word:
That so has to do with what we're talking about? :huh:

Oh and yeah they did.

I hope it will be or it'll be second place. I don't see it being worse then MTV Spider-Man or Spider-man: Unlimited. Remember this is for kids and when you watched the 90's show you were kids ,too so think of it that way when watching the show.
agreed

The 90's series was essentially poor. Because the censorship was so over the top. Here (from wiki):

1] Not mentioning "Death", "Die", "Kill" or other words with a strong negative meaning. Death was to be avoided, leading Semper to skirt around the issue. "Destroy" and "destruction" were frequently employed as synonyms.

2] Many realistic guns were not allowed, and no firearms could shoot bullets, so instead they fired lasers complimented by 'futuristic' sound effects. This often led to scenes in which ordinary policemen wielded futuristic pistols.

3] Spider-Man was not allowed to hit anyone with his fist, however there were a few exceptions. In Episode 39 ("The Spot") in which he used his spider-sense to guide a punch through a dimension portal and knock out the Spot. He also punched the Scorpion twice in "The Final Nightmare."

4] No crashing glass was allowed. However, in Episode 43, when Spider-Man and Doc Ock were battling in Felicia and Anastasia Hardy's home, Ock accidentally smashed a glass window with one of his tentacles.

5] No vampires were allowed on the show. This created complications with the use of the characters Morbius the living vampire and Blade the vampire hunter. Consequently, Morbius only drained victims through suckers on his hands, rather than by biting them in the traditional vampire style on the neck, and rather than blood, his sustenance was referred to only as "plasma." However, the word "blood" is used regularly in non-vampire episodes.
True vampires later appeared anyway, primarily in the form of Blade's vampire mother, but they are not shown actually biting anyone.

6] Cletus Kasady a.k.a. Carnage was not a serial killer in the series, he was just a madman. Carnage never actually used his symbiotic blades to harm anyone, he was either stopped or dodged. He also absorbed people's energy rather than killing them outright. However, he has made a few references to attempts to murder. For instance, when Baron Mordo stated to him that he needed a few more life forces, Carnage said "Only a few? Too bad!". He also referred to his process of draining life force as "feeding".

Any opinions now that we are further into the show?
My opinion is that this is better then the 90's show. The character development is great and so in depth.

I think it definitely will. It's already 7 for 7, while the 90's series was already declining in quality after the first episode. Better action, less censorship & sharper writing make this show #1 in my book.

it can and it has imho.

the character development and action is already better and after only 7 episodes

This show has greatly surprised me. Before its premiere, I largely wrote off the possibility of this approaching the 90's series because the 'look' of the show didn't seem to denote a tone that I would find palatable. I was expecting something along the lines of a transparent 'kiddie' show. Upon several viewings, that was way off-base as this is simply a kickass Spider-Man show.

The character development has been rich and the action is wholly superior. My only gripe is the art/character models, but that seems to be the trade-off for more fluent motion. I won't slot it above the 90's series as of yet (it's still too early), but it's certainly headed that way. I hope the show is around for a number of seasons, so we can see Spidey's maturation process and growth as a hero.

Oh it's totally better. Well written, edited, acted, animated than the 90s series. And it doesn't have the incredibly sappy soap opera music play every time a relationship is brought into focus.

We're only 7 episodes into this series, and it has already blown away the 90's series. This show has established 2 major firsts in Spider-Man cartoons, not only being the first to show Peter in high school, but also the first that had the balls to introduce Gwen Stacy as a regular character.

That combined with the character development, action, and Greg Weisman's "no-original-characters" policy, the 90's series is not even in the same league now.

The '90s STAS got it's butt handed to it. Show one-ups STAS in every area. Animation, action, voice work, character development, etc. 7 eps in and no repeat footage. IMO, I think this is the definitive Spider-Man cartoon.

I think it has the potential to. So far I feel that TAS had overall better voice acting (though there are notable exceptions) and a better first episode, but otherwise overall I feel everything SSM has done it has done better than TAS. And we all know TAS best season was its first season. And the fact that they can use real guns, Spidey can throw punches and it is a bygone conclusion that Gwen will get killed off at the end of the second season really puts this show up there.

But I really liked Spidey's voice in TAS, as well as most of the cast (especially Felcia Hardy/Black Cat's, who we haven't seen in this show yet, and Doc Ock's whose interpretation, I find weaker in this one). I just think TAS had some off episodes in season 3 and 4 and the entire second half of season 5 (the last season) downright sucked. So this show can win with consistency.

But I love TAS as it was nostalgia for me growing up and I think some of its stories have become almost canon for many new fans. Most take TAS's interpretation of the symbiote saga with the shuttle crashing with the symbiote and John Jameson aboard, Brock working at the Bugle and being humiliated by Spidey and fired for fraud by JJJ, the upside down black suit reveal and a dark Peter Parker as canon. Outside of the shuttle crash most of the backstory for the Venom saga (though notably not the execution) in Spider-Man 3 came from TAS. It also looks like the shuttle origin is going to be used in this series.

It also handled GG (even though he came after Hobgoblin), Doc Ock, Lizard, Scorpion and Hobgoblin brilliantly. It also made for a much more interesting Morbius character and reworked the Man-Spider story very well and that has also been misread as canon ever since. It made Kingpin an A-lister for SM again (he was kind of stolen by DD in the 1980s comics). It gave the only good interpretation of the Black Cat in the 1990s (she would not be saved from mediocrity until Kevin Smith, Mark Millar and Dan Slott came along recently in comics). At the same time there were too many team-ups, too much censoring and WAY TOO MUCH inner-dimension hopping/Madame Web bull ****. And the fact that it chose to end on a clone saga with the MJ Peter married being a clone STILL pisses me off a little bit. I say it ends with the "Forgotten Heroes" saga and Fisk in jail.

Anyway, there is room for improvement and this show looks like it very well may do so. I will say that it probably will stay in high school so it won't have an older Peter Parker who ends up marrying MJ, which is the ONLY nod I can say that TAS can keep over it. Everything else is for the title taking. I mean I may prefer TAS's GG, Doc Ock and JJJ so far, but the execution of the stories in SSM has been much BETTER. This show feels like it is an update of the Stan Lee and Steve Ditko/John Romita eras. TAS felt like an update of the 1980s comics, for the most part.

P.S. I am going to have to say that TAS does also have one definitive hold over this new show that is doing very well. And that is TAS had much better music. For a cartoon, the music written in TAS is very good and has only been surpassed in American action cartoons by Batman TAS, Batman Beyond and arguably X-Men TAS. The action theme, the love theme, the themes certain characters had were all EXTREMELY well done and memorable.

it can top the 90's series?

I think it already did.

It's still very early to debate this being an infant of a series but so far the characterization of supporting characters and villains is superb and puts TAS to shame. Never have we gotten such a great buildup of villains to be and logical explanations as to why they became what they are. Compare this Rhino to Rhino in TAS where he is just sitting in his apartment all decked out in a rhino suit when Kingpin calls. WTF was that!
Venom getting sprung on his doctor, Doc Ock being Kingpin's personal byatch, Wormhole portals or whatever the hell that was, Black Cat screwing Morbiius, and among other things that I am too tired to type.

How about the finale that left no resolution to Peter finding the real Mary Jane? I've never forgiven them for that.

Actually there was supposed to be a sixth season about that (she was supposed to be in Victorian London and he was supposed to fight Jack the Ripper then...oh yeah get the sensors past that) and come back to the present and the Beetle was supposed to be in it, but Saban and Marvel decided to end it on 5 and move onto focusing on Silver Surfer and Avengers...great idea.

Oh well. Given how crappy the finale was, I pretend it ended with "Forgotten Heroes" with Fisk finally caught and Peter and MJ happily together.

so far i think it has surpassed the 90s series for the reason that it focuses more on the lee/ditko era, its spiderman at his purest as far as adaptations have gone, the characters looked better in the 90s series, but the animation was very limited so you didnt see spiderman at his full potential and it became somewhat convoluted near the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"