Here's a question...

Actually there was supposed to be a sixth season about that (she was supposed to be in Victorian London and he was supposed to fight Jack the Ripper then...oh yeah get the sensors past that)
Yea wasn't Carnage going to turn out to be Jack the Ripper?

The Sci-Fi asPect was waaaaaayyyyyyyy over the top in TAS. Granted, comic book technology has always been decades to centuries ahead of the time it's written but the ridiculous overuse of robots, lasers, holograms, airships, sPace/time anomolies, mutations and other futuristic plot devices drowned out any novelty these concepts had at all. The series didn't feel like it could take place in the mid-nineties at all.

And children and fans alike did not care at all...

its pretty lame how its suddenly become cool to bash the 90's TAS, a few months ago everyone agreed that it was the greatest spidey cartoon ever, now it gets treated like trash on this board

its pretty lame how its suddenly become cool to bash the 90's TAS, a few months ago everyone agreed that it was the greatest spidey cartoon ever, now it gets treated like trash on this board

I was never the best Spider-Man show as it should have been. It was OK for it's time, but today it looks kinda cheep: story-wise and not to mention the animation with the over & over repeat shots.

It's what happens when anything new comes out. Like how it became cool to bash Burton's Batman after BB. TAS got attacked when the MTV show came out, but fortunately it got canceled and everyone realized how crappy that show was.

This is a good show and probably will be better than TAS, but that does not make TAS bad. But fanboys love trashing what is old and making love to what is new. Look at how Pierce Brosnan was once called "the best Bond since Connery" and now everyone who enjoyed CR cannot help themselves from calling him a bad actor, a bad Bond and too feminine among other things.

It's the sad way the fan culture works.

We are not really bashing the 90's show, it's just that it had quite a few flaws and weird things, but it's still awesome. Also, this show defenitley stays more true to the comics and is better than that show though.

Yea this show is great so far and hopefully they stay like it is and dont go all crazy like the 90s show. As a kid i loved the 90s show and thought it was great but once i got older and learned more about animation and more background on spidey i saw the show had many many flaws.

It's what happens when anything new comes out. Like how it became cool to bash Burton's Batman after BB. TAS got attacked when the MTV show came out, but fortunately it got canceled and everyone realized how crappy that show was.

This is a good show and probably will be better than TAS, but that does not make TAS bad. But fanboys love trashing what is old and making love to what is new. Look at how Pierce Brosnan was once called "the best Bond since Connery" and now everyone who enjoyed CR cannot help themselves from calling him a bad actor, a bad Bond and too feminine among other things.

It's the sad way the fan culture works.
Actually I thought the MTV show was crap when it came out. And realized how much more crap it was when it ended. Great animation but the rest was crap.

Well, we now have the hindsight of looking back at all the seasons combined of TAS when we compare it to this show. As I have before said this show is still young and there are always undetermined factors that could affect it in later seasons. I still have a fondness for the 90's series as it had its moments but I also can't help but remember what happened to that show as the seasons progressed.

Even before this new Spidey toon came out, I was well aware of STAS flaws. Recycled animation and horribly watered down fight scenes. And the stiff animation... ouch! I still like STAS, but SSM is worlds ahead of it.

Even before this new Spidey toon came out, I was well aware of STAS flaws. Recycled animation and horribly watered down fight scenes. And the stiff animation... ouch! I still like STAS, but SSM is worlds ahead of it.
I am just impressed with the many supporting characters, the depth we are getting with the villains, and the general stories so far.

I am just impressed with the many supporting characters, the depth we are getting with the villains, and the general stories so far.

So true. These are things this show is doing so much better than STAS ever did.

yea and lets hope ssm stays the way it is for its run and all that.

Actually I thought the MTV show was crap when it came out. And realized how much more crap it was when it ended. Great animation but the rest was crap.

I agree. I venomously fought against that show and quit watching it after about five episodes. But I was called a "TAS" fanboy. :whatever:

I really like SSM (it is hard for me to love any new cartoons anymore) and think it is probably becoming better than TAS. I just don't get why the old has to be kicked so as to vindicate the new.

Spider-Man TAS was the best Spider-Man cartoon until SSM, and it will always hold a special place in my heart because it got me into Spider-Man but the truth is it simply doesn't hold up to viewing today.

Spider-Man TAS was the best Spider-Man cartoon until SSM, and it will always hold a special place in my heart because it got me into Spider-Man but the truth is it simply doesn't hold up to viewing today.
That's exactly how I feel. Although there still are a few episodes that I will always like to watch.

Silver Spider I also am a HUGE fan of JustSomeRandomGuy.
I love "I'm a Marvel, I'm a DC"!!!

Yeah, I first saw Randomguy's videos several months ago. I thought it was just going to be some dumb kid playing with their toys, like a lot of other people do on Youtube. Now I'm like addicted to them.

Me Too. I have followed him since his first After Hours video.
And now that season 2 is starting it looks even funnier and more adventurous than the first.

The first video I saw was After Hours 1, but at that time I think the 5th one was the most recently added.
We should probably take this conversation to the Spectacular Spiderman Lounge, though.

I like both to be honest, but I'm holding off on a real comparison until S2 is done because by then the show will have established itself better and payed off on most plot points and arc by then.

As for the TAS finale, I figured that Web simply took him to the point of the rift where MJ was trapped and took her from it back to the real world, we just didn't see it.

I started having problems with the 90's series roughly half way through season two when the entire season seemed to revolve around that gizmo that could rewrite DNA. The MTV series could've been better if it hadn't been made to cater to the MTV crowd.

Spectacular Spider-Man has been pretty good so far, I only hope they keep it up.

But if you want nostalgia, I grew up watching "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends."

SSM has started out strong, with a good mixture of story arcs and episodic adventures, good characters, humor that is actually funny and not just intended to be, and at least one count of Spidey taking down a bad guy with his brains rather than fists (which was always an important element for me w/Spider-Man). The aesthetics of the show has grown on me, no doubt helped by its completely fluid animation, and subtly different character models. And it accomplishes what has been impossible in every other medium since the 60's--the translation of the Romita-era "feel" into a non-comics format.

The show, however, does have some problems--the pace can be rather breakneck, without any time to catch your breath. Sometimes a pause is needed to enhance a scene or whatever.

Little to no build-up. Cool as it was to see so much of the Spidey mythos covered in the first episode, Vulture really comes out of nowhere and isn't really credible as a potential recurring villain.

Too little JJ. :cmad:

And some other cosmetic issues (Gwen with glasses?), but by and large a solid Spider-Man cartoon. I hope it does supplant 90's Spider-Man--if it continues on this path, it deserves to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"