How do you think the X-Men will be introduced into the MCU?

I think it’d be cool (but not reall necessary) if they somehow tied in the Infinity Gauntlet to the sudden rise in the mutant population. Not for their creation, but for widespread activation of the X-Gene. I’ve been thinking that Wakanda being at the epicenter of The Snap - an action releasing energy causing decimation on a universal scale - resulted in an alteration to the genetic makeup of every being on the planet. And so we have (a lot more) mutants.

Again, not necessary, but a believable enough explanation if they felt they needed to tie it into something. And what a great way to represent that The Snap had permanent, lasting consequences.

I think the snap will change reality and history, that would make the most sense. Basically rebooting both franchises. And Doctor Strange will be the only person that remembers the old MCU reality. The new reality might consist of Mutants being around for years and Bucky is Captain America.
In the new reality some of the Avengers never become Avengers. Feige has to make room for the X-Men, so some of the Avengers might not return.

Or they could do nothing and keep the two universes separate.

This is not difficult:

Mutants exist because the human species can no longer protect itself from outside threats. Humans must evolve and mutants are the natural result.

Only one or two existed until more were born as a result of WWI & WWII, then the Cold War and the nuclear arms race increased birth rates. Followed by the invasion then the snap just put it all in overdrive.

Last edited:
Finding a way to say mutants have been around us is not the problem. The problem is introducing the history of persecution needed to make distinctive X-Men stories make sense in the MCU. About as close as any show has come to that is the treatment of Inhumans on the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and you can make a case for people thinking that they were persecuting Inhumans were actually targeting mutants who were hidden before the ocean contamination of terrigen. But that leaves us only a couple of years of such treatment so Magneto would have faced his horrors because he was a Jew, not because he was a mutant.

This is not a hard question to answer as the complications only arise when you try to retcon in the entire 56 year publication history of the X-Men's lore into the MCU -- which would be a fool's errand because it only serves to confuse people and create countless more questions in what should be a very simple, easy to follow introduction.

The answer to "where are the mutants" can easily be found in the early issues from the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby X-Men run. In the original run -- prior to Charles forming the X-Men and before the atomic weapons testing started activating the X-Gene -- mutants were a VERY rare species. Charles grew up as one of the few around the world. He was doing papers and thesis presentations on the prospects of the hypothetical "X-Gene" with Moira McTaggart in Grad school as well as traveling the world after serving his time in Vietnam. The mass emergence of mutants was happening relative to when the 60s books were being published, not decades before the first issue in the Marvel Universe timeline. Follow the comics' explanation and tell that story in real time. This is why "Cerebro" was built in the comics, when mutants were still new and still emerging.

The most simple explanation is the best explanation. Charles Xavier, Wolverine, Mystique, Irene Adler, Sabretooth etc are a couple of the hundred or so mutants that exist in the MCU. "Where was Charles Xavier during the Batte of New York?" Simple, he was in Egypt: on the other side of the planet. (He still had his legs and he was traveling the world) Bumping into a then 14 year old Storm who was still a thief living on the streets of Cairo as an orphan:
uncanny-x-men-117-prof-x-storm-1-50k.jpg
Wolverine is in Canada with Alpha Flight, Erik is in Bosnia and Raven/Irene are in Europe (These two do not even know they are "mutants" yet).

The events of Avengers: Endgame cause the X-Gene that lies dormant in thousands of adolescents to be activated in 2018-2019. The snap/Infinity Gauntlet causes accelerated evolution in natural selection. The Eternals would establish that mutants are a doomsday clock that's set go off at a certain point (because Celestials) and the snap has just accelerated the process. What should be happening in 300 years is now happening in the span of 5. This is the how you can keep the evolution angle but tie it into the biggest event in the MCU's history. Why are mutants? Because they are nature's natural response to the events of Avengers, AOU, IW and Endgame. As @sleekstereo said, they are the result of nature's need to evolve humanity in preparation from outside threats that they can no longer defend + the presence of people with powers contributes to the need for mankind to change. Mutants are quite literally --Mother nature's answer to the Avengers.

Normal people would feel left behind in a world of gods, mutants and mutates. "Why do people hate mutants but not the Avengers?" That's another answer that can be found in the original run. How did mutant hatred begin in the comics? Propaganda and fear mongering. In issue #14, Bolivar Trask was the one who started instilling fear into people about mutants. He was writing papers about how mutants are going to enslave mankind, trying to convince people the need of Sentinels
HRDRnlU.jpg

From this point onward, mutants were feared and hated. You can transfer Trask's role to any other politician and the result would be the same. The Government introduces fear and suspicion into the general public because they want an excuse to go after, imprison and experiment on mutants (all of which they'd already be doing anyway, just without legislation). There are many real-world examples of those with a platform introducing the seeds of hate into the general populace for marginalized minorities. So there's your answer to that question.

And the rest is history

Last edited:
Like many people have said, other than Reynolds as Deadpool? Everyone gets rebooted. There might conceivably be easter egg cameos, but in all substantial ways? Total reboot. Marvel isn't going to want anything to do with Fox's mess of an X-continuity. It'll be hard enough incorporating the X-Men working from scratch.

Also, I kind of hope they take the brave creative choice, and make the X-Men *not* about psychotic self-destructive levels of insane bigotry. You know how the Deadpool movies managed to tell good stories that even touched on mutant-related social issues, *without* having every baseline wearing a Klan robe looking to burn mutants alive? Aim for that.

Like many people have said, other than Reynolds as Deadpool? Everyone gets rebooted. There might conceivably be easter egg cameos, but in all substantial ways? Total reboot. Marvel isn't going to want anything to do with Fox's mess of an X-continuity. It'll be hard enough incorporating the X-Men working from scratch.

Also, I kind of hope they take the brave creative choice, and make the X-Men *not* about psychotic self-destructive levels of insane bigotry. You know how the Deadpool movies managed to tell good stories that even touched on mutant-related social issues, *without* having every baseline wearing a Klan robe looking to burn mutants alive? Aim for that.
Yep. I wouldn’t mind some blink and you miss cameos played by Jackman, Stewart and co, playing civilians.

Is it possible they do a one-off crossover with the Foxverse as a sort of tribute and then reboot? Would be great to see McAvoy and Fassbender alongside Downey and Evans even for one movie.

I watched Venom yesterday. I honestly dont know what the hell Tom was thinking accepting that role, yiiikes

Hopefully "My mansion needs a new wing, and I've always wanted a pool."

;)

Well that depends. In the source material, there are varying degrees to how people feel about mutants. Various ways it can be communicated. You have this

1xbizkwrtlzz.jpg
IMG_00203.jpg
(Pro mutant protesters. From X-Men: Gold and X-Men Legacy)

Then you have people like this guy

250px-John_sublime.jpg
(John Sublime: Founder of the TransSpecies movement ÷ U-Men. A group of people who want to become mutants too [on the surface] but are secretly mutilating mutant bodies and putting their parts on normal people in an effort to transform)

And then of course, the signature imagery/themes that made the X-Men so distinctive
doyouknowwhatyourchildrenare-630x416.jpg
MUTIES OUT.jpg
marvel-graphic-novel-12-dazzler-the-movie.jpg

While I don't think they should lay it on as THICK in the first movie. I think the mutant prejudice should be toned down a bit in X-Men 1 so it can be built up in subsequent movies. The Mutant Registration act for instance should not be a thing in the first movie and it should have a lighter, more fun tone to get it away from the Singer-Men movies. But in sequels? It absolutely needs to be addressed in the MCU X-Men movies in general and it can be explored in new ways. A more well-rounded look on mutant prejudice.

Taking a Deadpool approach would be a massive copout. The first Deadpool movie had no mentions or relevance that I can recall of mutant issues and the sequel completely glossed over the fact that mutants were being stuffed in cages like animals. Not to mention treating the anti-mutant pastor as a joke and not exploring the idea of hate through religion and how dangerous that can be. And that's COMPLETELY fine for a Deadpool movie.. But the X-Men aren't Deadpool -- they are smack dab in the middle of issues that affect mutants on the surface. Marvel should not treat them the same.

I don’t serious think anything is going to change for a few years.
I don’t think there will be a X-Men reboot. Kevin Feige is too busy to with his phase 4 plans. I can see McVoy and Fassbender still doing the X-Men under Disney. I think Feige will hand the X-Men over to another producer until the end of MCU phase 4. Maybe keeping LSD or Kinberg until he ready to take over. When he created the MCU, the X-Men wasn’t part of his plans. I don’t think he will alter his plan.

I don’t think there will be a X-Men reboot. Kevin Feige is too busy to with his phase 4 plans. I can see McVoy and Fassbender still doing the X-Men under Disney. I think Feige will hand the X-Men over to another producer until the end of MCU phase 4. Maybe keeping LSD or Kinberg until he ready to take over. When he created the MCU, the X-Men wasn’t part of his plans. I don’t think he will alter his plan.
This definitely isn't going to happen. Feige is thinking up ideas for how to incorporate the X-Men as we speak. Dark Phoenix will be the last Fox-Men movie and the X-Men will be transferred to Marvel Studios effective as soon as the deal closes. Bob Iger already reiterated that there won't be two Marvels under Disney. Spider-Man wasn't part of his original plans but things change and plans evolve.

Kinberg is getting the boot

This definitely isn't going to happen. Feige is thinking up ideas for how to incorporate the X-Men as we speak. Dark Phoenix will be the last Fox-Men movie and the X-Men will be transferred to Marvel Studios effective as soon as the deal closes. Bob Iger already reiterated that there won't be two Marvels under Disney. Spider-Man wasn't part of his original plans but things change and plans evolve.

Kinberg is getting the boot
Neither of use really knows with Feige is thinking. LSD said she don’t know what Feige is going to do. She also said she don’t think Feige knows what he’ll do yet. He just might surprise everybody. But it not his decision alone, I’m sure Iger and Horn will have a lot to say. The decision is going to be about what feasible, financially and creatively. That could mean a reboot or no reboot, we just don’t know yet.
As for Spider-Man, he’s only one hero, so it wasn’t a problem.

Last edited:
Feige has always been busy with plans for one phase or another, and yet still proven to be a master long term planner, and he purposely makes those plans flexible while sticking to the basic structure (unlike other studios). That’s why the MCU has a continuity that works even after so many films. There’s plenty of time to incorporate X-Men but I bet he already has ideas for when he wants to start introducing various characters, even if that isn’t soon.

There is a zero percent chance Disney or Feige let’s Laura Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg or anyone else for that matter, continue making their own x-men movies until Feige is ready to bring the franchise to the MCU. Zero percent. Nothing from Fox shall remain except for Ryan Reynolds.

There’s a better chance of them sitting on the property for a few years until they come up with a plan.

And after the never ending BTS drama that surrounds both Dark Phoenix and New Mutants, I doubt they’ll want to do further damage to the brand by letting Kinberg continue to run the show any longer.

Cmon now.

I could see Donner sticking around, much the same way Gale Anne Hurd was involved with the Incredible Hulk. A reduced capacity perhaps, but I'd not be surprised at all if she remained attached to the property.

I think Donner will stay for a couple of years to help make a smooth transition.

At a time where discrimination is on the rise, hate crimes are increasing on a yearly basis, and the whole world is experiencing the rise of the far right -

Now is the perfect time FOR 'The X-Men' to tackle real world issues. The first season of 'The Gifted' did this wonderfully - I relate to that show like it is reality United States. People know that discrimination is rampant in the world now more so than ever before and the frightening degrees like the Purifiers that it goes to. I think the world's ready for this. I think it should be "controversial" - Claremont tackled some really heavy subjects when the comics first came out, the films should similarly. 'The X-Men' should be the MOST political out of all of the MCU films and show the political sphere of the Marvel universe on the ground level (something we really haven't seen before).

-----

The reasons why people are afraid of mutants is the next natural progression of this -

Remember all this happened before Thanos snapped half of the world out of existence.

In IW, Captain America (who most of the world should love) is considered a fugitive of the law.

The next natural step after people realize this issue extends far beyond these isolated incidents -

If it needs a further push, just have a Speedball type tragedy occur and people would be marching with tiki torches calling for mutants to be hunted down and killed in a second.

nitro%2Band%2Bnamorita.jpg

'Civil War' presented us with a world that was on the brink in how feared super powered people are becoming. The second they find out other people have similar abilities - whether they're kids or adults - people are going latch onto them and attack them.

Hell, I could see a villain being a far-right type (a leader of the Purifiers) who's looking to kill mutants due to their family member being killed in the wake of one of the Avenger's battles from a prior film. Extreme action for that person to tale? Yeah, but that's how it works in the real world as well.

Last edited:
I found this video to be a good unpacking with an interesting idea for how to keep the mutant distrust while the Avengers aren't disliked.

The main point starts around 4:30

It basically comes down to:
- The Avengers became known after fighting an alien invasion which got them a lot of goodwill, while X-Men wouldn't have such an event.
- The Avengers have had ties to SHIELD and the American Government, legitimizing them. X-Men wouldn't have that
- There are potentially many mutants and anyone could be one, which is a lot scarier than a few people with tech or super strength or such. Especially if incidents start happening with individual mutants using their powers for crimes initially and later when a mutant terrorist group is started.
- The identities of the Avengers are known to the public. By giving the X-Men their costumes and masks and having them keep secret identities, refusing to give up their identities or register for fear of persecution makes it harder to trust them.

Last edited:
I found this video to be a good unpacking with an interesting idea for how to keep the mutant distrust while the Avengers aren't disliked.

The main point starts around 4:30

It basically comes down to:
- The Avengers became known after fighting an alien invasion which got them a lot of goodwill, while X-Men wouldn't have such an event.
- The Avengers have had ties to SHIELD and the American Government, legitimizing them. X-Men wouldn't have that
- There are potentially many mutants and anyone could be one, which is a lot scarier than a few people with tech or super strength or such. Especially if incidents start happening with individual mutants using their powers for crimes initially and later when a mutant terrorist group is started.
- The identities of the Avengers are known to the public. By giving the X-Men their costumes and masks and having them keep secret identities, refusing to give up their identities or register for fear of persecution makes it harder to trust them.

/\ The Avengers became known and after years of dealing with them and the chaos they invite - people are already becoming afraid of them.

People fearing “mutants” is already MCU canon.

'The X-Men' should be the MOST political out of all of the MCU films and show the political sphere of the Marvel universe on the ground level (something we really haven't seen before).

There haven't been much political themes in the movies before. TWS and kind of AoU took a stance against mass surveillance/deferring to authority, the latter less so, then Civil War, to the extent it's considered a continuation, took the approach that both sides were right though ultimately leaning a bit more to the anti-Accords side. So there is both a lot of potential and some unlikelihood for more political themes and commentary.

If it needs a further push, just have a Speedball type tragedy occur and people would be marching with tiki torches calling for mutants to be hunted down and killed in a second.

It might seem more relevant and possibly even more controversial/thought-provoking if some of the opponents had seemingly mild or reasonable goals, such as, in '00, registration of mutants rather than killing them, a registration policy not clearly particularly sinister and yet still very arguably abusive and likely to lead to other worse abuses.
Something like TAS where Kelly or another leader is able to be won over and then a lot of the supporters feel betrayed and become more extreme, directly violent themselves, would also seem an interesting progression.

That could be a real good way of making use of, emphasizing and contrasting, that previously most MCU heroes, all the Avengers, didn't have secret identities, that's practically taken for granted by the viewers and may yes be expected/demanded by the in-universe public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"