• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

How do you think the X-Men will be introduced into the MCU?

There haven't been much political themes in the movies before. TWS and kind of AoU took a stance against mass surveillance/deferring to authority, the latter less so, then Civil War, to the extent it's considered a continuation, took the approach that both sides were right though ultimately leaning a bit more to the anti-Accords side. So there is both a lot of potential and some unlikelihood for more political themes and commentary.

It might seem more relevant and possibly even more controversial/thought-provoking if some of the opponents had seemingly mild or reasonable goals, such as, in '00, registration of mutants rather than killing them, a registration policy not clearly particularly sinister and yet still very arguably abusive and likely to lead to other worse abuses.
Something like TAS where Kelly or another leader is able to be won over and then a lot of the supporters feel betrayed and become more extreme, directly violent themselves, would also seem an interesting progression.

Past movies have and haven't been, as you noted.

However, politics is a large part of what the X-Men stand for and is. Even going all the way back to its earliest incarnations, so I don't see Marvel not going there here especially given the frightening rise in hate crimes and discrimination.

------

I'd say approach it from several angles:

1) Law enforcement agencies such as Sentinel Services which have agents who genuinely want to keep people safe since they know how dangerous mutants can become, but there's also a lot of mutantphobes who work there which makes it difficult.
2) Reverend Kelly is pushing for people to fear mutant kind as a looming threat, telling his followers that the government isn't doing enough.
3) The government is trying to pass a mutant legislation act - similar to DACA.
4) Extremist far-right Purifiers who, inspired by Kelly, are looking to kill mutants.

The real world is complicated and there's many angles.

'The Gifted' shows the perfect way to do it - don't outright demonize the bigots, allow for some of their views to seem like they're legitimately coming from a place of fear, while also showing how and why that fear is wrong.

Last edited:
I found this video to be a good unpacking with an interesting idea for how to keep the mutant distrust while the Avengers aren't disliked.

The main point starts around 4:30

It basically comes down to:
- The Avengers became known after fighting an alien invasion which got them a lot of goodwill, while X-Men wouldn't have such an event.
- The Avengers have had ties to SHIELD and the American Government, legitimizing them. X-Men wouldn't have that
- There are potentially many mutants and anyone could be one, which is a lot scarier than a few people with tech or super strength or such. Especially if incidents start happening with individual mutants using their powers for crimes initially and later when a mutant terrorist group is started.
- The identities of the Avengers are known to the public. By giving the X-Men their costumes and masks and having them keep secret identities, refusing to give up their identities or register for fear of persecution makes it harder to trust them.

This is pretty close to my idea. Complete with the X-Men keeping the secret identity angle from the comics (something the Singer films completely glossed over) to hide from society.

But It also ties back into the propaganda idea which is what kicked off mutant hysteria in the source material. Like @AResistor said, all it takes is one bad trip with a mutant. One mass catastrophe like the Speedball explosion from Civil War -- to turn the public against mutants. The Government could use this as a tool to push for control of mutants. The gist of it is that the Government is afraid of mutants because it is something that they can not control. We saw this sort of play out with them trying to strong arm the Avengers but mutants are 10x worse.

What I would like to see is how the Avengers react to it. It would be realistic for some members of the Avengers (Maybe Barton) to show prejudice against the X-Men/mutants

This is pretty close to my idea. Complete with the X-Men keeping the secret identity angle from the comics (something the Singer films completely glossed over) to hide from society.

But It also ties back into the propaganda idea which is what kicked off mutant hysteria in the source material. Like @AResistor said, all it takes is one bad trip with a mutant. One mass catastrophe like the Speedball explosion from Civil War -- to turn the public against mutants. The Government could use this as a tool to push for control of mutants. The gist of it is that the Government is afraid of mutants because it is something that they can not control.

What I would like to see is how the Avengers react to it. It would be realistic for some members of the Avengers (Maybe Barton) to show prejudice against the X-Men/mutants

I'm unsure if Barton would, Tony (if he's still alive) definitely would though. It would be risky having Iron Man take up such a position, but also in line with his character and it would increase the stakes as well.

I'm unsure if Barton would, Tony (if he's still alive) definitely would though. It would be risky having Iron Man take up such a position, but also in line with his character and it would increase the stakes as well.
Barton has a family. In the midst of the mutant crisis, he would be wondering If his kids are mutants. I could see that fear eating away at him and instilling prejudice in him.

I'm not sure if Stark will be around but if he is and he does take up an anti-mutant position, it would be nice to have another Avenger contrast him. Maybe Danvers (if Steve is dead) is an outspoken figure for mutant rights. Much like real life politics, the Mutant phenomenon could have the team split/divided again.

Imagine If Stark helped the Government develop Sentinels... Using some of his own designs to contribute. The image of an Iron Man-lit Sentinel hunting down mutants could be powerful

Barton has a family. In the midst of the mutant crisis, he would be wondering If his kids are mutants. I could see that fear eating away at him and instilling prejudice in him.

I'm not sure if Stark will be around but if he is and he does take up an anti-mutant position, it would be nice to have another Avenger contrast him. Maybe Danvers (if Steve is dead) is an outspoken figure for mutant rights. Much like real life politics, the Mutant phenomenon could have the team split/divided again.

Imagine If Stark helped the Government develop Sentinels... Using some of his own designs to contribute. The image of an Iron Man-lit Sentinel hunting down mutants could be powerful

Iron Man: people with special abilities could easily be dangerous, who's to know their intent?

Captain America: remembers the times of WWII where minorities were labeled a threat by those with power, he vowed in the past and today to stand up against bullies.

Bruce Banner: while some may be okay, who's to say that all are and that they have control over it?

Black Widow: neutral, could go either way

Thor: a bunch of people with powers, you should go see where he's from - it's fine

Clint: torn, sympathetic for kids who are mutants, but afraid of what could happen if a mutant attack happens at their school

Ant Man: more understanding, he's been labeled before and seen as a criminal - he believes everyone should have a fair shot of being heard out

Spider-Man: "hey guys, someone who could easily be labeled a mutant here - where does this place me?"

Dr. Strange: neutral, could go either way

There has been zero suggestion that they are going to allow the current x-men creative regime to continue what they had planned for after the merger while Feige "figures out how to bring them to the MCU"

if he needs time to figure that stuff out, the properties will sit out for a few years or however long. They aren't going to let fox people continue what they had planned just for the sake of putting movies out there when it could potentially further damage the brand.

the movies that are already finished will be released in some form. But I'll be astonished if they allow Simon Kinberg or anyone else attached to hypothetical projects like Kitty Pryde, Gambit's movie or James Franco's multiple man movie to move forward. Disney/Marvel Studios aren't greenlighting those movies.

Iron Man: people with special abilities could easily be dangerous, who's to know their intent?

Captain America: remembers the times of WWII where minorities were labeled a threat by those with power, he vowed in the past and today to stand up against bullies.

Bruce Banner: while some may be okay, who's to say that all are and that they have control over it?

Black Widow: neutral, could go either way

Thor: a bunch of people with powers, you should go see where he's from - it's fine

Clint: torn, sympathetic for kids who are mutants, but afraid of what could happen if a mutant attack happens at their school

Ant Man: more understanding, he's been labeled before and seen as a criminal - he believes everyone should have a fair shot of being heard out

Spider-Man: "hey guys, someone who could easily be labeled a mutant here - where does this place me?"

Dr. Strange: neutral, could go either way
Don't forget T'Challa. Not even Wakanda would be exempt from the mutant crisis. Mutants are random. There could be mutants showing up there as well and T'Challa not knowing how to deal with it

Don't forget T'Challa. Not even Wakanda would be exempt from the mutant crisis. Mutants are random. There could be mutants showing up there as well and T'Challa not knowing how to deal with it

Kinda makes me think that the best way to kick it off may be with an 'Avengers' film. Basically like 'Civil War,' but with The X-Men at the focus like Cap was.

There has been zero suggestion that they are going to allow the current x-men creative regime to continue what they had planned for after the merger while Feige "figures out how to bring them to the MCU"

if he needs time to figure that stuff out, the properties will sit out for a few years or however long. They aren't going to let fox people continue what they had planned just for the sake of putting movies out there when it could potentially further damage the brand.

the movies that are already finished will be released in some form. But I'll be astonished if they allow Simon Kinberg or anyone else attached to hypothetical projects like Kitty Pryde, Gambit's movie or James Franco's multiple man movie to move forward. Disney/Marvel Studios aren't greenlighting those movies.
The Iger’s quote is not new or surprising, but you are assuming a lot of things he didn’t say.

The Iger’s quote is not new or surprising, but you are assuming a lot of things he didn’t say.

Well I don’t recall Bob Iger hinting at or saying anything close to this either, so I guess that makes two of us:

I don’t serious think anything is going to change for a few years.
I don’t think there will be a X-Men reboot. Kevin Feige is too busy to with his phase 4 plans. I can see McVoy and Fassbender still doing the X-Men under Disney. I think Feige will hand the X-Men over to another producer until the end of MCU phase 4. Maybe keeping LSD or Kinberg until he ready to take over. When he created the MCU, the X-Men wasn’t part of his plans. I don’t think he will alter his plan.

Well I don’t recall Bob Iger hinting at or saying anything close to this either, so I guess that makes two of us:
I used phases “I think”, “I can see” and “maybe”. This is not consider assuming.

But I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to criticize

Last edited:
Kinda makes me think that the best way to kick it off may be with an 'Avengers' film. Basically like 'Civil War,' but with The X-Men at the focus like Cap was.
A conflict between the X-Men and Avengers (and maybe F4) seems inevitable when the mutant issue starts getting out of hand.

A conflict between the X-Men and Avengers (and maybe F4) seems inevitable when the mutant issue starts getting out of hand.

Well, I mean as a gateway film for the X-Men to enter. A whole film could really be dedicated to the emergence of mutants and it'd be a fascinating film to watch that's filled with rich drama and tension (or at least I think so).

I used phases “I think”, “I can see” and “maybe”. This is not consider assuming.

But I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to criticize
I just don’t see Disney footing the bill for Fox’s currently unproduced movies when they can just have their own x-men movies somewhere down the line. It’s not like Disney is running short of material that they need Fox’s hypothetical movies until the x-men join the MCU

I think they could do a different earth, something like the CW Arrowverse.
This way both can co-exist in the MCU and can occasionally crossover.
The X-Men’s earth could be thirty years behind the Avengers’ earth, this way the X-Men can keep its cast.

Nope. Reboot the entire X-Men cast. I don't need to see Alexandra Shipp as Storm again and Nicholas Hoult as Beast aka in human form.

Seems like a lot of hurdles to jump through for a cast with the exception of maybe the first class actors, that is rather unproven and would be easy to replace. They’ve had one movie so far and it underperformed. I don’t think audiences will be very broken up by a full reboot. Sure Fassbender and McAvoy will be missed, but that will pass with time.

If marvel insisted on recasting spider-man and that was based on a partnership with Sony, I think it’s a safe bet to make that marvel will want to put their own creative stamp on the x-men as they will have full control.

I don’t know about that. There is nothing wrong with the present cast, it’s not their fault that Fox screw up one of their movie. Why bother going through a recast when there is already a good cast in place.
As for Spider Man, that was Sony’s decision to reboot, not Feige.
So does this mean the Kingsman and other Fox property will be recast too?
I don’t think so.
I’ll be surprise to see a X-Men recast.

I don’t know about that. There is nothing wrong with the present cast, it’s not their fault that Fox screw up one of their movie. Why bother going through a recast when there is already a good cast in place.
I don’t think so.

Potentially and this would be the key thing -

Diminishing returns at the box office.

If Dark Phoenix makes bank or closer in range to Days of Future Past that’d be one thing. If it makes less than Apocalypse - they’re pulling the plug.

Apocalypse was a massive disappointment compared to DOFP

I don’t think so.
It was Feige's decision, actually. He made it a condition of the deal that Sony be REQUIRED to reboot before Spider-Man would ever join the MCU

They're going to reboot regardless. Even if Dark Phoenix made a billion at box office (no way in hell that's happening) they still wouldn't continue it. There is simply no way to integrate the FoxVerse with the MCU. The FoxVerse is over. It's done. It's dusted. Time to move on.

They're going to reboot regardless. Even if Dark Phoenix made a billion at box office (no way in hell that's happening) they still wouldn't continue it. There is simply no way to integrate the FoxVerse with the MCU. The FoxVerse is over. It's done. It's dusted. Time to move on.

If Dark Phoenix made a billion - they’d keep it.

Fans think from the heart. Suits from profit.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 would have seen reduced profit due to how audiences responded to it (this is coming from someone who loved it - ASM3 would’ve struggled at box office and see diminished returns).

Dark Phoenix, however, is looking to likely be a disappointment at box office and make less money than Apocalypse. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets the same or barely gets the same as First Class (this is losing 200 USD in comparison to Apocalypse).

Reasons: Apocalypse disappointed, people are skeptical, less hype than proceeding DOFP (which is what allowed Apocalypse to get as much as it did).

I’m guessing budget both for the film and marketing is less than Apocalypse to. Trying to adjust for the expected decrease. Budget appears to be less.

The writing here economically is already on the wall.

This means it’s already over and running on fumes.

Last edited:
I think they could do a different earth, something like the CW Arrowverse.
This way both can co-exist in the MCU and can occasionally crossover.
The X-Men’s earth could be thirty years behind the Avengers’ earth, this way the X-Men can keep its cast.

PettyParchedBaboon-max-1mb.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"